Is this passing off a replica trooper helmet as original?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really ? well as Thomas said when he called Gino out over his claims that was jealousy and sour grapes can't have it both ways.
And i don't recall Gino ever sharing or posting pics in public of tells on any stuff he has claimed to be from an original source we are left to take his word for it.
And nobody well nobody with half an ounce of sense would ever buy a screen used piece as valuable as this without authentication and research.
If the item was for sale which it isn't i'm sure Joe would provide the buyer with all the background on it and let them examine it.

And please dont try and tell me Gino bought this up as some form of crusade to protect his fellow collectors.
Gino doesn't care about anyone or anything unless there is something in it for Gino as he has demonstrated time and time again in the past.
Sorry, Thomas was not starting a crusade either. He has been trying to pass off his pieces as more than they were for some time, but that is not the topic here. When GINO offered up his pieces for sale, there were some pretty descriptive pics of what he was offering.

As I said, if the guy is not offering the pieces for sale, then this topic is a non-starter for me and just a wasted effort. Like the guy who bought a CE thinking he was getting a screen used Trooper helmet, he could not be convinced that his helmet was NOT screen used. If this guy wants to think his helmet is screen used and is not offering it up to anyone, then I say let him call it screen used.

Some people are more passionate about authenticity than others. There needs to be at least a loose standard to adhere to. If there isn't one, any bloke can claim that all his stuff is screen-used and some noob will waltz in here and believe him.

As he has never seen one in the flesh, how would he know what he is looking at is authentic?

I will happily show pictures when I feel like it, I won't be bullied by this horrible little person. Nice comments BTW ART, condsiering we have never spoken.

What pics exactly do people want?

Joe

Joe, we don't have to have spoken previously for me for me to not agree with the approach you are taking. In regard to your argument that simply because someone has never seen a real "whatever" in the flesh negating their ability to identify a real one, well, that is simply ridiculous and goes in the face of the research and HUNDREDS of discoveries made by this board without the aid of the researchers having touched an original "in the flesh." I understand what you are getting at but I think it is a shortsighted assumption to make. I also think the fact that someone has seen a real "whatever" in person doesn't automatically make them an expert. I could name names where that applies, but that is another can of worms and would need its own thread.

In regard to being bullied about showing photos, I would think you would want to post them because if you are right you are going to accomplish two things; 1) prove your helmet to those who question it, and 2) make Gino look like an ass (which will make you very popular with quite a few of the usual suspects who are turning up in this thread). If you don't care whether your helmet be seen as an original here, then why are you continuing to post and trying to defend it when pictures would BE proof while words... well... are just words.

For my part, I am with Jez. It looks authentic to me, but then again, a helmet cast from an original WOULD look authentic and WOULD have the same tells, so I am left not knowing. And hey, I WANT it to be original because that just means there is yet another iconic piece from the Star Wars films out there, but just because I would like it to be so doesn't mean it is.

This is getting out of hand.

Joe, enough people here want to see proof. Whats the issue?
Its not too much to ask I dont think. And Gino is perfectly willing to admit his error if the photos show what he's looking for. He is just a bit more aggressive about trying to see some proof due to his previous dealings with you.

Waiting for the pics....

I'm reminded of an argument I overheard recently here in downtown Chicago between (I think) 1st graders. :rolleyes

...enough people here want to see proof. Whats the issue? Its not too much to ask I dont think.
I don't think it's too much to ask for either, but I'd expect all parties claiming to own screen used items to pony up their photos as evidence. Lets hold everyone to the same mob standards. ;)

I can not believe Gino gets to go on this crusade without a single piece of proof. All I have seen is conjecture at best. How this community supports this type of attack is a mystery to me.
This should have been locked up a long time ago.

Ehhh... we have seen a lot more focused personal attacks than this go unmitigated. Right or wrong, Gino appears to have a legit concern here, so why should it be put to rest and everyone just blindly accept what has been posted as fact with nothing to back it up? If there is a question about authenticity, you would rather see the thread locked for... what reason?

Thomas: Gino i don't think your item is from an original source.

Gino: I don't care what you think i know it is and i don't need to prove it your claims about my item is just jealousy and sour grapes.

Everyone agrees with Gino nobody questions him.

Gino: Joe i don't think your item is the real deal i don't have anything to back it up but that's what i think.

Joe: I don't care what you think Gino i know it's the real thing and your claims are just jealousy and sour grapes.

Everyone agrees with Gino and demands Joe shows otherwise.

Let me know if i'm wrong here people :rolleyes

If there is a question about authenticity, you would rather see the thread locked for... what reason?

Consistency?

If there wasn't a thread so recently locked in which Gino played the opposite role, I imagine people wouldn't be so keen to see the same result.

Gotcha. So since people have personal issues with Gino, that should negate the concerns he brought up. Might as well just go ahead and ban him if anything he posts is going to be beat down because of some unrelated thread... and not on the merits or questions raised here.

Gotcha. So since people have personal issues with Gino, that should negate the concerns he brought up. Might as well just go ahead and ban him if anything he posts is going to be beat down because of some unrelated thread... and not on the merits or questions raised here.

Art what merits ? Gino made a statement that this helmet that Joe has is a replica with no proof whatsoever to back it up other than Joe also owned another helmet previously, and on that basis alone Joe should be interrogated about his property and display publically proof that Gino is wrong that's correct yes ?

Thomas made a statement about the source of Ginos property in much the same way without providing any conclusive evidence other than his own opinion to which Gino was not asked to publically show proof Thomas was wrong. correct yes ?

How do the two things differ Art ? can you explain it to me because i don't see it.
You don't think Gino has personal issues with Joe ?

Art

We have Stephen Lane who does this for a living and owns multiple Jedi and ANH helmets, he is backed up by Brandon A, who has also owned multiple original helmets. They have handled it in person are happy with it. FYI Stephen handled this before I ever did!

Then we have Gino, never having handled an original, only has pictures to back up his side of the argument.

Can you see why I am slightly pissed off?

Also he hasn't given one scrap of constructive evidence, regarding the shape, style etc of the helmet.

I already owned one original, have researched these for over 3 years, and have had this helmet verified by professionals. Yet I have to prove myself....

Again can you see why I am pissed off?

Joe

Yes I have personal issues with Gino but thats not the point here.
Without any evidence posted that this is not real he is on here attaching this guy and is using personal conversations, which do not prove anything.

I could care less about TK helmets as its not my thing but this continued bashing without a basis to do so seem abusive.

This guy does not want to show pictures to prove anythiny? So what. Gino will not show photos of his Vaders that will prove they are real either.

Whatever....

After looking at the first photos posted of this helmet (which are very poor), it looked to me like only the left ear was the "hero" style, but that new photo of the helmet shows that both the ears are the "hero" style ears. So if this is a replica helmet, where did those ears come from?

There are two versions of ROTJ trooper helmets and it seems to me that Joe's old original is one version and this new one is the other version. That does not mean that this new helmet is real, but it does not look like a replica made from molds taken of Joe's old helmet, not to me anyway.

Keith.

Y'now, after reading through everything posted here, I've seen some things that would lead be to believe JoeR (such as the post from Prop Store). I have yet to see a single shred of proof from Gino that this is a fake. As I said before, this is all conjecture on Gino's part. I said it once and I'll say it again. Witch hunt.

Art what merits ? Gino made a statement that this helmet that Joe has is a replica with no proof whatsoever to back it up other than Joe also owned another helmet previously, and on that basis alone Joe should be interrogated about his property and display publically proof that Gino is wrong that's correct yes ?

Thomas made a statement about the source of Ginos property in much the same way without providing any conclusive evidence other than his own opinion to which Gino was not asked to publically show proof Thomas was wrong. correct yes ?

How do the two things differ Art ? can you explain it to me because i don't see it.
You don't think Gino has personal issues with Joe ?

I think you are confusing what I am saying. Yes, there are striking similarities between the two issues, but what I see is people linking them together due to the similarities and negating Gino's concerns because Thomas was proved wrong in the last thread. What happened in that thread has nothing to do with the authenticity of this helmet. That is where I have an issue. People are dismissing it because they don't like Gino on a personal level instead of because anything he has posted. I think there is a good chance this is a production made piece, but I don't think there is any harm at all in proving it.

Do I think Gino has personal issues with Joe? I don't doubt it for a second. Do I think Gino is doing this solely to defame Joe? Ehhh... not as sure of it as the rest of you seem to be. I have known Gino for years and from friends, to enemies, to perfect strangers, I have seen Gino make efforts to authenticate real prop pieces. I believe this is another of those efforts. Do I think Gino has the smoking gun he thinks he has? No. Do I think Joe could pretty easily bring this whole issue to a close with a few images? Yes, I do. Why he didn't do it 100 posts ago is beyond me.

Art

We have Stephen Lane who does this for a living and owns multiple Jedi and ANH helmets, he is backed up by Brandon A, who has also owned multiple original helmets. They have handled it in person are happy with it. FYI Stephen handled this before I ever did!

Then we have Gino, never having handled an original, only has pictures to back up his side of the argument.

Can you see why I am slightly pissed off?

Also he hasn't given one scrap of constructive evidence, regarding the shape, style etc of the helmet.

I already owned one original, have researched these for over 3 years, and have had this helmet verified by professionals. Yet I have to prove myself....

Again can you see why I am pissed off?

Joe

Joe, I can see why you are irritated. Who wouldn't be if their baby were called into question. I have a great deal of respect for both Stephen and especially Brandon. However, I like to see it for myself, so having Stephen come in here and say "its real" doesn't do much for me aside from telling me you bought it through Propstore.

Do you owe it to me? No. Do you HAVE to prove anything to anyone? No. Could you easily end this with proof that you have in your hands? Yes. I don't know why you want us to blindly believe 2nd hand opinion of the "professionals" but are unwilling to give us the direct proof you have. It is clearly your call. I just don't understand why you are taking this route.

On the same token, don't think Gino gets a pass. I wouldn't believe anything he said anymore than anyone else without something to back it up. So far he has cast doubt on your character but he certainly has proved nothing in regard to the authenticity of your helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back