Orange Flight Jackets...for costuming...Research thread.

DAVIDYR1

Official Licensee
collarflight.jpg

I want to add the Orange Flight Jacket to my collection of SW jackets. I've already got a great base for it seeing as a while back I made the Ceremonial Jackets too....

CeremonialFlightJacketFinished1.jpg

I've started the paper pattern for the collar but would love some better shots of this garment. There's a zipper, original collar underneath...a bit of velcro... Anyone of you SW fanatics have something to help me out with?

Also...what exactly is the orange color? Does someone have a Pantone color of what it should be? If so, I'll tint the nylon accordingly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Once done...check the J/Y. For now this is ONLY the Research thread and this wont take me long at all.....

Thanks!

David

I loved that jacket. I was pissed I never got one. With today's financial market, I fear I may not be able to get an orange as well too :( Great work though...I love seeing this jacket you made.

Oooh I am definitely interested. BTW David do you still have any ceremonial jackets available? Been meaning to ask.

As for the colour it appears to be similar to the "international orange" but it appears a little lighter than the jumpsuit. That could simply be the way light reflected from the different materials though.

I can dig up some pics showing the contrast if it will help.

Yes...PLEASE post what you have. I had all this stuff saved but my computer crashed a while back and I lost it all. Oh...and yes on the Ceremonial Jackets...check the J/Y as I just put up a thread there.

David

Not sure which episode, but the orange jackets (and some blue ones) were also ussd in the show Space:1999.

Possibly the episode Dragon's Domain, or perhaps some second season episodes.

well I just made the rebel legion bods aware and in the UK chapter there are 3 firm interested parties, price depending.

Thanks for the pics guys. Although I lost my data file with these pics, I did find all my notes from when I had planned on doing this jacket.

So...correct me if I'm wrong but here's what I think I'll be doing with it...

-The big puffy collar has a small tab of velcro just above the zipper.
-The front has a zipper closure with 'visible' overlaying stitch line.
-The chest pocket is different than the Ceremonial Jacket pocket and I will modify it accordingly but I need the dimensions of that window for that prop element to fit into it. Anyone have that or is it just a standard 'name tag' opening size.

If I've missed anything please feel free to point it out. The nylon for this will be the same kind you see in the photo. Lightweight and will stain easily.

So unless I've missed something...window size for the pocket is what I need assuming someone has that...once I'm set with that I'll have the jacket ready fast for you all to see, critique and enjoy.

Thanks everyone for the help so far!
Star Wars fans rock. :)

David

I was thinking of making a run of these, but since I have not got pretty far and DAVIDYR1 is more experienced - with almost the same pattern, even - I am stepping down.

As for the colour it appears to be similar to the "international orange" but it appears a little lighter than the jumpsuit. That could simply be the way light reflected from the different materials though.
I agree with this. In most pictures/screencaps I have seen, I can not tell the color apart from the flightsuit's color. However, in a couple of shots, it is a little bit lighter. Could be the light, as the fabric is more reflective.

-The chest pocket is different than the Ceremonial Jacket pocket and I will modify it accordingly but I need the dimensions of that window for that prop element to fit into it. Anyone have that or is it just a standard 'name tag' opening size.
I suggest that you ask Vince / Corellian Exports, who makes badge. I believe that he must have based it on real model-kit parts. I also expect most costumers would order their badges from him also. Then compare the dimensions on the badge with the greeblies that you see in the window on the jacket.

The nylon for this will be the same kind you see in the photo. Lightweight and will stain easily.
Which photo? I think that the fabric for the Hoth jacket is heavier than the one that you used for your previous run of Ceremonial jackets.
I have been looking for some kind of plastic-impregnated poplin, but not found it yet.

I am not sure that the jacket is lined, and I am not sure that the ribs on the sleeves are padded, either. They do look pretty flat.

I will post more when I get home from work.

I have one of CE's chest badge. I'll measure it and post the dimension tonight.

Thanks for the pics guys. Although I lost my data file with these pics, I did find all my notes from when I had planned on doing this jacket.

So...correct me if I'm wrong but here's what I think I'll be doing with it...

-The big puffy collar has a small tab of velcro just above the zipper.
-The front has a zipper closure with 'visible' overlaying stitch line.

If I've missed anything please feel free to point it out. The nylon for this will be the same kind you see in the photo. Lightweight and will stain easily.

So unless I've missed something...window size for the pocket is what I need assuming someone has that...once I'm set with that I'll have the jacket ready fast for you all to see, critique and enjoy.

Thanks everyone for the help so far!
Star Wars fans rock. :)

David

CorrellianExports (a member here) make the best casting of the "name tag" that goes in the rectangle. You might contact him on the dims he uses.

Edit: this is what you get when you reply before you get to the end of a thread.

More of my findings:

The design reminds me more of a rain coat than of the jacket seen in Space:1999.
I think the length and sleeve length on Luke's Hoth jacket are as long as on his ceremony jacket, but everything looks wider. While the ceremony jacket was fitted in the waist, the Hoth jacket is not. It looks like the side seams are perfectly paralllel.
research1.jpg

There are two side pieces per side. Each sleeve consists of the ribs and two pieces that mirror eachother, joined with a seam that connects to the seam between the two side-pieces.
research2.gif

I think the ribs should go further down than on DAVIDYR1's ceremony-jacket. They end one to two inches above the gauntlet cuff.
Unlike Ponda Baba's jacket, the ribs are not made by quilting - they are pleats, most likely box pleats.
research3.jpg

I find it unlikely that the jacket is padded or lined, except for the collar. If there is padding, the padding is only in the sleeves. If there is lining, the lining is orange, as you can see in this pic below where the bottom hem of Luke's jacket flares up:
research4.jpg

Not all jackets are the same... The padding in the collar is what I see differ the most from jacket to jacket. Some collars are almost flat, some are very puffy, and some or quite thin but point almost straight up. I was thinking of maybe making it replaceable.
The ribbing also differ in number of ribs and thickness of each rib. On some the last rib is thicker than the rest and there is a space between the rib and the unribbed rectangle below it.

Btw, let me know if you need better versions of these pics.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back