BSG Viper helmet by JtotheP

superjedi

Sr Member
Hi all!
I'm really psyched to show off a new acquisition. This is a Viper pilot helmet from the new Battlestar Galactica. :)
I think the new show has some of the coolest looking sci-fi tech ever, and the Viper/Raptor pilot gear just looks badass.
This helmet was made by RPF member JtotheP, and I arranged with him to get a complete, ready-to-wear/display helmet painted in the Viper paint scheme. The Raptor pilots have the 2 basic metallic colors reversed.

Let me say from the get-go, JP was terrific to deal with! I contacted him through PMs, and we agreed on how the deal would be arranged, and it was a very smooth transaction. Wish all transactions could go this well, and that every vendor maintained the kind of communication that JP did. :thumbsup

Enough blabbing! How bout some pics?

IMG_0001.jpg

The overall sculpt is very smooth and symmetrical. Some of you may have seen JP's in progress thread, showing how he built up and molded this helmet. Well, I don't know exactly how long he's been doing this sort of thing, but he sure knows his stuff!

IMG_0002.jpg

The casting feels very solid. The completed helmet is pretty heavy, and includes real metal fittings and braided hose. The installation of which appears flawless. This is an extremely well put together prop.

IMG_0003.jpg

The paint work is superb. In his build up thread he says he uses automotive lacquers and clear coat, and the finish on the helmet is very deep and shiny. Even a contrasting silver ring at the bottom to simulate the "neck seal." Absolutely professional work here!

IMG_0004.jpg

If the exterior wasn't enough to get my saliva glands working overtime :lol, the working features pushed them over the edge. JP has incorporated a telescoping feature for the "jaw" portion of the helmet, again, just as on the real props from the show.

IMG_0007.jpg

This has a very solid action, and holds closed by friction. A very nice design.

Also included: lights! Two cheek-mounted LED spotlights, and a light strip inside over the face opening. Just too cool! :cool

IMG_0005.jpg

I didn't expect this helmet to be so BIG either! Here's a shot comparing the size to some other sci-fi helmet from a very obscure film from the '80s. Kudos to you if you recognize it! :lol

IMG_0008.jpg

Not shown is the interior, which is completely padded and lined, and made to the wearer's head size to boot! There's a built-in rocker switch at the back to operate the lights, with 2 9-volt batteries for power. The batteries lay very nicely into 2 cutouts in the padding. Very slick!

The helmet was extremely well padded for shipment with several layers of bubble wrap, plus some foam which appeared to be custom cut to fit around the helmet in the box.

As I mentioned, this was a truly painless transaction, and I now have an exquisite helmet for my growing prop collection. Many thanks, JP! You're an amazingly talented craftsman, and I hope you enjoy many happy years on RPF. :thumbsup

Thanks for looking, everyone.

Thanks for the koodos, and I am so glad you like it. Nice stand--I gotta get me some of those for my display. Again, thanks for taking the time to write this thread.(y)love

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back