X-wing question...

tgreco

Sr Member
So I'm hunting for the correct tail engines for my FX X-wing conversion... (a project that has been sitting nearly finished far too long) and while doing some research I found that the f-4 phantom engines were almost identical to an f-16 engine

so I have to ask the question, considering the cost and availability of 1:32 scale F-4 models...
is the F-16 engine parts on a 1:32 scale kit identical?
real close substitute?
completely off?

anyone have any ideas or know a resource to compare the two parts

> is the F-16 engine parts on a 1:32 scale kit identical?

No.

> real close substitute?

Depends on your standards. :)

> completely off?

For my money, yes, but YMMV.

You're talking about an engine that's 20 years later in design and isn't the same, except in the generic sense that all axial-flow jet engines look somewhat alike. If you're happy with something that approximates the correct look, go for your life. If you have demanding standards of accuracy, don't do it. The only people who will really know, either way, will be us here and on the other boards. We're 1/10,000th of a percent of the general population so who cares? :)

OTOH you can pick up an incomplete or slightly battered Phantom kit on eBay for 18 or 19 bucks or so, so it's not that big a deal really. Your Whitley kit may cost you more than the Phantom, and if you go the whole hog and get a Sealab too, you'll spend six or seven hundred.

Cheers,
Martyn

Note: One of the WINGS (Red 2) used F-15 Engines turkey feathers which are shorter than the F-4 but otherwise Identical.

Frank, I have 2 kinds of F-4 feathers - one standard and one short, two of each nozzle - I bought two F-4s. One had the shorter version. Are you sure it's an F-15?

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back