"The Day the Earth Stood Still" 08 Robot Pics?

TD235

Has anyone seen pics of the robot in the upcoming remake of “The Day the Earth Stood Still" starring Keanu Reeves?

Nope, Reeves is Klaatu, the humanoid alien. I'm looking any pics of the new Gort.

All I've seen so far is a promo poster that shows him in silhouette. He looks to be about the same, but with his ear profile slimmed way down flatter.

Also, if the poster's to be trusted, his new eye beam has been modeled after the George Pal "War of the Worlds" death ray. :)

-Sarge

gort.png

He's only been shown thus far in silhouette. At comic con the director said WETA hadn't yet hammed out all the details and textures.

I will say this; he's gigantic! Easily 3 or 4 times the size of a human.

I hope he is as stiff as the original. In the picture above he looks very articulated. I hope they pay homage to the original but knowing hollywood (lower-case on purpose) they well screw it up! Still, hoping for the best.

Will

Here's hoping none of this will happen. Tired, tired, tired of the remakes or worse yet the "Re-imaginings." I'm sure there are still original ideas on the West Coast.
Laffo

Even though that concept art is Very Cool, Gort looks like Darth Gundam :p
If they can keep at least a shred of the old design, I will be happy..maybe.

Even though that concept art is Very Cool, Gort looks like Darth Gundam :p
If they can keep at least a shred of the old design, I will be happy..maybe.

From what I've read, that concept art was rejected for something that was more faithful to the original Gort... I believe it was an interview with the director I read somewhere online.

From what I've read, that concept art was rejected for something that was more faithful to the original Gort... I believe it was an interview with the director I read somewhere online.

Sweet! :D ..Now if they can just keep from screwing up the story..

How bad could it be? I'm just glad that Eddie Murphy didn't get a hold of it :lol

I dug this back up from scifi wire. I don't think this is what I read but it does touch on Gort being humanoid in shape. No idea how much or how little they'll be faithful to the original judging from this newsbit...

Day Creators Reveal Gort Details

The creators of the upcoming remake of 1951's classic SF movie The Day the Earth Stood Still told SCI FI Wire that the film will feature a new version of Gort, but will remain true to certain elements.

"Gort is very much in the film, and there are Gort encounters, though they're handled differently," star Jennifer Connelly said in an interview at Comic-Con International in San Diego last month.

Director Scott Derrickson added that Gort will appear early in the film, as he did in the original. "Yeah," he said. "Absolutely. No question about it."

Derrickson added: "You'll see him in the beginning. You'll see him early in the film."

In the original movie, Gort is a nearly 8-foot-tall metallic robot who accompanies the humanoid alien Klaatu (Michael Rennie) in his mission to Earth. Gort is described as a member of an intergalactic "police force," who uses a beam weapon fired out of an eyeslot to vaporize anything in his path.

In the new film, Keanu Reeves plays Klaatu and Connelly plays Helen Benson, a scientist who comes to his aid. Klaatu arrives on Earth with a warning that humanity must change its ways. Or else.

As for Gort? "The role that he plays is a little bit more complicated than that, so I'm not going to get into that," Derrickson said. More complicated, that is, "than him just being a universal cop. He's still the heavy. There's no doubt about that."

As for how Gort will appear, Derrickson said that the production mulled "10, 20, 40 other conceptualizations of Gort, and what we realized was that retaining an essentially human form was necessary, because retaining the relationship between Gort and Klaatu was a necessity."

So far, the only glimpse of what may be the new Gort comes at the very end of a teaser trailer: An immense, dark, humanoid shape with a beam issuing from its face. The Day the Earth Stood Still opens Dec. 12. --Patrick Lee, News Editor, with Staci Layne Wilson

I know the trailer shows this big cloud of... something... (maybe some kind of nanites?) that just destroys anything it touches. Makes me wonder if Gort has something to do with that though it's purely speculation on my part...

Here's hoping none of this will happen. Tired, tired, tired of the remakes or worse yet the "Re-imaginings." I'm sure there are still original ideas on the West Coast.
Laffo

You do realize that the black and white movie is based on a book, right? This movie uses that as the source material, not the old movie. People get too hung up on the thought that it's a remake of a movie. It's not. It's someone else's interpretation of the book. You'll quickly realize Hollywood has never had anything original.

I know the trailer shows this big cloud of... something... (maybe some kind of nanites?) that just destroys anything it touches. Makes me wonder if Gort has something to do with that though it's purely speculation on my part...

All the technology in the forthcoming film is nano-based, Gort and Klaatu's spaceship included.

Whereas the Robert Wise version concerned itself with Cold War-era nuclear proliferation issues, the remake is very much about, surprise, global ecology (hence the tagline "We thought the Earth was ours. We were wrong").

In a nutshell, Klaatu is sent to Earth to supervise the destruction of the human race, thus saving the planet itself from looming environmental catastrophe. The plot thickens when Klaatu decides we humans are worth saving, a decision which places him at odds with his ET masters.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back