Restoring the original American Werewolf...

TOM

Great work!

QUESTION: How long does a "restoration" last? Is it possible that in 15-20 years, the werewolf will need another makeover?

What a job to have listed on your resume! ;) Outstanding work, my friend! Thanks for the work you did in restoring one of my all time favorite props.

-B89! :D

Thanks to everyone for the extremely kind words!

I'm just honored to have had the chance to work on this incredible piece and I'm thrilled to see so many others who appreciate it :)

QUESTION: How long does a "restoration" last? Is it possible that in 15-20 years, the werewolf will need another makeover?

Excellent question... unfortunately, there are just too many factors and considerations to really give a firm answer. Every piece ages differently and treatment, handling, exposure to types of light, etc, all play a role.

I do take steps to help add barriers to the aging process, via sealing and internal patches that extend past the actual repairs. I also use flexible materials, with the intent that over time they will flex as the piece shrinks, dries or settles. The goal is to get as many good years out of a piece as possible.

Tom

Simply fatastic! YOur work is incredible and that is one of the best Werewolves in any film Bob must be a happy guy. Thanks for sharing.
Send some pics to Rick so he knows his baby is getting the much needed care it deserves :)

I'm still impressed by your work, Tom, but I'm not at all surprised at how good it looks. Your work is always consistantly flawless. AWIL is one of my all-time favorite horror films as well and the wolf, also one of my favorites. You did him justice as you always do. :thumbsup

Tom, I'm running out of superlatives (and emoticons) to describe your work. So I'll just say...Wow!

The Wook

ps~What's the pressure like? When we make replica props or masks, we all feel pressure to get it right--but that feeling of pressure has got to utterly pale in comparison to the extreme pressure felt restoring an iconic screen-used original. So what's your secret, Tom...are you immune to extreme pressure, or do you just thrive on it?

Thanks so much to everyone! It means the world to me.

ps~What's the pressure like? When we make replica props or masks, we all feel pressure to get it right--but that feeling of pressure has got to utterly pale in comparison to the extreme pressure felt restoring an iconic screen-used original. So what's your secret, Tom...are you immune to extreme pressure, or do you just thrive on it?

Oh boy... neither? :lol It definitely affects me though I do OK with pressure I guess.

Normally, I'd say each piece affects me about the same amount. I feel like every single piece is very important to somebody. I've got a job to do and stay as positive as I can and do the absolute best work I can on every project.

That said, the time added some extra pressure on this particular project.

Usually, when I've got a piece in my shop, my schedule allows for some "sinking in" time. Time where I can just soak up what the piece is, reflect on that and plan my approach, etc.

With this, it was all done on-site and much more quickly than normal. I had to come in with a plan that was ready to roll. I'd do pretty well putting pressure out of my mind and then I'd hear Bob saying, "Oh wait till Rick sees this!" and I'd have a little "eek!" moment. :)

Overall, though, the pressure fades quickly once the real re-assembly type work starts. Once some visual progress is made, it's somewhat natural to build on the momentum and think positively.

There was a very cool moment when the work was complete. For days I'd been a little tight in working space and very close to the wolf's head. Once I was set to call it "done", we moved some things around and worked the wolf into his new position angled out from the corner. For the first time in a while, I was able to get a good 15 feet away or so and look at him head-on.

Chills.

Not because of my work or anything like that... it was just HIM. It was the main character from one of my favorite films staring at me. What a feeling.

Tom

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back