Hero X-Wing Build

Wow... I'd say that about wraps this up.

EDIT: The tow cable detail may just be plain rod but I trust these guys know their stuff, and perhaps have better reference. We really owe Beaz another thanks for sharing his work with us... if he hadn't posted his engine everyone would still be guessing.

Last edited:
Yes, definitely. Knowing which parts were added, and the colors really helped out. Thanks again Beaz!

But we still don't know what that wheel hub or return roller half part is. I think that one is a little difficult, but could be easy to scratch.

I'm betting it's part of the airfix LVT buffalo but I can't find any kit scans or pics yet. The mount for the MG looks like it in the instructions I posted. Or it could be another part of it. Those guys don't seem to have reached too far for new parts. They're constantly using parts from the same kits.

No luck yet...

That was a fun day!

Last edited:
Thanks Scott for your amazing input on this - and to Beaz again, of course. It makes Red 2 engines actually just about possible for this scratchbuilding virgin. Outasight!

You're welcome. That's the first time I've been successful ID'ing something. We had very good clues to go by. :thumbsup

Thanks Beaz! This is a terrific thread. I've been wanting to build a Studio Scale X-Wing forever. Might just get off my duff and start building - thanks again for the inspiration...

Great build and excellent and extremely helpful ID's and build-up tutorial! Thanks Beaz and all concerned in the ID's. It's great to see so much info coming out of the woodwork in the last year or so on so many of the SW models. Very, very inspirational. I think I might have to start collecting bits for an X-Wing too...... hang on....... D'oh.. I already have, thanks to the AT-St, Tie Bomber, Falcon, A-Wing, Slave and all the other builds in this forum! Woo Hoo :lol
On the subject of X-Wings, I had some idea that the nose tip of the SS X-Wing was a kit part from a Snowmobile. Is this correct or am I way off-beam?
Thanks again for the info and inspiration, JT

On the subject of X-Wings, I had some idea that the nose tip of the SS X-Wing was a kit part from a Snowmobile. Is this correct or am I way off-beam?

That's an interesting idea. Did you have a particular model in mind? I thought I was on to something with Jet Skis:

91-JS650-BI.jpg

89-JET-SKI-TS-650B.jpg

...but sadly all the models that look like X-wing noses are newer than STAR WARS.

Also, Joe Johnston tells us:

"We had a lot of trouble with the nose...we worked with that a long time getting it into a shape that didn't look obscene."

Which suggests a finely-nuanced custom sculpt to me. But it does look like a snowmobile or jet ski. It may well have been inspired by one...

Thanks again for the info and inspiration, JT

You might have heard it from me. Maybe.

I've always felt it resembled a PWC (like what Ray posted), but not sure if I ever entered that thought into the RPF.

Now that is looking good. Was it an easy decision? Oh, I'll just use the production part.

Have you encountered any new panel lines not present from Hero to Pyro?

Awesome Kevin ! A true Hero fuselage is born ! :love

There's some panneling differences between the hero and pyro on the upper fuselage (not counting the lower of course). But that's normal, some lines should have been lost when converting a hero pull into the pyro master... But those difference are minimal and I would say that 98% of the lines are a perfect match !

They ALL need rescribing though. I got started on that tonight on mine and it makes a big difference. Seems there's a lot of primer on the piece Frank moulded!

Thanks JE, thanks JC!

Now that is looking good. Was it an easy decision? Oh, I'll just use the production part.

Yeah, for all of the fuselages to use as a starting point for my own hero builds this decision was a no-brainer as soon as I got this casting from Frank and started comparing it to everything else. Having said that, it's still gonna to take a good bit of work to get this right.

Thanks again Frank, and please pass my eternal gratitude on to John E for all of the time, energy and love he put into restoring this stuff!

Thanks again Frank, and please pass my eternal gratitude on to John E for all of the time, energy and love he put into restoring this stuff!

Aye! Huzzah to JE!

Thanks Julien. I knew they hand scribed the Heroes, just glad to know this isn't a spot where a lot of variation was added.

Beaz, how does the fuselage material hold up to the heat of cutting? Frank mentioned the mother mold material these are backed with uses thermalite. Not going to go up in flames if I hack into it with a cutting disc?

Well said. Hope I didn't sound bitchy, wasn't intending to. It's just incredible to have this.

Are you going to mess with the nose and butt plate area, and shift the protorps?

Also I'd completely missed that you shared your engine pics. Good on you!

No worries Martyn, you're spot on about the lines requiring some work. Oh, and yes, yes and yes!

Paul, so far I've gone after this casting with knives, scribers, files, sanding blocks, razor saw and a Dremel hand-piece with a router bit with no problems.

My biggest concern has been to preserve any detail that was original to the first fuselage pattern. So far so good.

Hello folks.

I hate to bother you all with my own problems :confused, but I really need help for some kit parts ID. The parts I need are numbered in this pic.

Thank you very much in advance.

Rafael Mateo

X-Wing_info.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back