Hero X-Wing Build

I cant speak for other but at least you got my interest !

Now those are awesome castings Beaz, I thought they were original parts...

I tried your molding tehcnique but my resin is not fluid enough to get such good results !

You're working slowly but it will look great ;)

[edit] 4600 views, if that's no interest... ;)

Steve, that means a lot coming from someone who's cast as much resin as you have. Thanks!

Julien, yeah, I don't know how you would do this with thick resin. Can you get any lower viscosity stuff there?

After my last post, I received encouraging emails from a number of folks, including some guys I hadn't heard from in years. I want to thank everyone for their kind words, and promise to be better about posting progress here.

Beaz, I could get some lower viscosity, the fact is I want to use the resin I have before it takes moisture :lol

I havent had time to take a look at the engines I molded last month but I could go with them I think, ILM castings were not 100% perfect after all ! :)

Awesome Beaz !

Your castings are the bests one Ive seen so far !

Do you plan to mold and cast the wing root ramp/box ? My guess is you wont because you will get them laser cut but I was wondering since it's on the pic with the other stuff you cast !

Thanks Lee. Thanks Julien.

I know it seems like I'm taking forever on the preparation for this build, and in particular with the molding and casting. Believe me, I'd much rather be working with my airbrush by now. :unsure

Thing is, my obsessive compulsiveness for this particular subject is such that I want to be able to build and finish each hero model, in order: 1, 2, 3, 5. The pattern-making, molding and casting for this first one is consuming a lot of time and energy up front, but the ultimate goal is to follow through with each subsequent build with relatively little preparation.

So yeah, I'm strongly considering the best way to engineer and cast components of the hero wings, including the engine box you see in that picture. I may stick with all acrylic wings on this first bird, but build out a couple extras, and as long as I can keep the quality high, mold and cast them for future builds.

Last edited:
Incredible build! I'm looking forward to seeing its completion. I've been futzing around with my own build for a long time (it's all loose parts and a CAD definition for the fuselage for now), and it was interesting to see your observation of re-tooled SatV nozzles. I've got three examples of this kit, but they're all later issues I believe. Your having an early issue of this kit, I was wondering if you noticed whether the hull parts used for the x-wing engines were cleaner than the later issues. My parts all have identical defects that are driving me crazy! (see image)

Incredible build! I'm looking forward to seeing its completion. I've been futzing around with my own build for a long time (it's all loose parts and a CAD definition for the fuselage for now), and it was interesting to see your observation of re-tooled SatV nozzles. I've got three examples of this kit, but they're all later issues I believe. Your having an early issue of this kit, I was wondering if you noticed whether the hull parts used for the x-wing engines were cleaner than the later issues. My parts all have identical defects that are driving me crazy! (see image)

Well I got 3 vintage Saturn and one retooled kit and I have those defects only on my retooled kit. And the ribbed areas are not as crisp and sharp on the retooled kit (that's also true for all the details of the parts). The plastic is also not the same, the vintage kits are very shiny !

Hey Beaz.

Do you have any updates on you Hero X-Wing? I was really digging your progress shots. I'd love to see more on the wing boxes. Keep it coming.

-emojo5

Heh, all I wanted for xmas was two weeks alone in my shop, but my wife had other ideas!

Alas, no progress to report, fellas. But I'm back in town and working on a few more patterns for molding and casting. Hope to have something to show soon.

The next step...translucscent X wing hulls :lol Nice score buddy, paid my shipping yesterday....aching to see this chunk of alloy in the flesh!

lee

Ive heard nothing Guy, bit annoyed TBH at the hold up at getting them even shipped....hopefully they will get back to us soon!

lee

Thanks for sharing Beaz! Thought that was one of yours. Mind if I give the parts ID a go?

If you are willing to share could you tell me more about the rubber you are using. For some reason it looks just right from the photos... not too flexible but durable enough to handle a few pulls.

How is your X coming along?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back