Original ESB Walker Pilot Helmet

It's light grey guys. It's the photography that makes it look either more white, or more grey.

Here's an example of the exact same helmet in the same space taken on two different occasions.

PS, the helmet in the pics above is THE EXACT same particular helmet we are discussing.

"Your eyes can deceive you, don't trust them."

8650129.jpeg

Off to the car paint store I go then :lol Thats why I love this place, I'm just over the moon that I hadn't finished the helmet already :thumbsup

It's all about lightning...

Remember that they never film JUST with natural daylight... there are always tons of lights... so that closeup pics is overexposed, no more... It's not white, is just an optic effect... ;).

It's amazing that even when you have the evidence staring you in the face, someone will always dispute it. Good cripes, guys...Jez says it is grey, his photos of it show it as grey. Its grey. Look at how washed out that image posted looks. The lighting is so bright that you can practically see inside of it through the eyes.

Just as an example. Here's some shots of my replica grey helmet in a number of different lighting conditions / exposure settings

outside - auto exposure
Jez_atat_outside1.JPG

inside - underexposed (-4 clicks)
Jez_atat_4stops_under.JPG

inside - underexposed (-2 clicks)
Jez_atat_2stops_under.JPG

inside - auto exposure
Jez_atat_nat_expos.JPG

Like I said before I need to do some more work on the finish of the helmet, the rear bottles are too light, but you get the idea.

When I get the chance I'll try and get some kind of clarification as to the original's shade but that might be a while yet.

Cheers

Jez

Again kudos to Jez for bringing this up, I personally wasn't debating the white/grey colouring, I think its great and cant wait to repaint mine!! :thumbsup

AWESOME JEZ!!!!!! BEAUTIFUL helmet you go there!!! GREAT info. How cool to find this out after all these years! THANKS man!! (y)thumbsup

This is very cool. Wonderful find.

Has anyone come up with a good replica for the hoses? I can't find anything right.

Dont get me wrong, if they're grey then they're grey and it's ace Jez has found this out some near 29 yrs on :)

I have a DL ATAT and at present it's unmade. So the colour doesn't bother me yet....thankfully :)

Im a stickler for detail and my girlfriends Zam Wessel costume was a nightmare to put together in terms of actual colours used.

This is no different but it's a balance of what the public expect us to look like vs what you see on film.

I'll spray mine grey if I can persuade the rest of my garrison to do the same. I think you'll look a little odd otherwise.
But yeah, a grey pilot would be cool. White is far too clean :)

Dont get me wrong, if they're grey then they're grey and it's ace Jez has found this out some near 29 yrs on :)

I have a DL ATAT and at present it's unmade. So the colour doesn't bother me yet....thankfully :)

Im a stickler for detail and my girlfriends Zam Wessel costume was a nightmare to put together in terms of actual colours used.

This is no different but it's a balance of what the public expect us to look like vs what you see on film.

I'll spray mine grey if I can persuade the rest of my garrison to do the same. I think you'll look a little odd otherwise.
But yeah, a grey pilot would be cool. White is far too clean :)
You should just do it anyway. If they ask you, you explain why you have. You've seen the original screen used AT-AT helmet and it is as grey as they day is long. Someone has to blaze a trail.

Thanks guys - John looking forward to seeing you at a forthcoming UKG event!

Cody - I think that looks the same shade that I bought. The Automotive paint shop I used only had 3 shades of grey and I went for the lightest as I considered it the closest

Cheers

Jez

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back