Original ESB Walker Pilot Helmet

I think stonky is saying that because it IS glossy, they were not concerned with blue screen artifacts.

Great pics Jez, thanks very much for sharing them!

I think its safe to say that its just impossible to make accurate replica props
without these kind of new detailed photos. Using screen shots and promotional photos only gives us a rough idea.

Keith.

Ok, nobody has really YET asked the question...

So, you are going to repaint your AT-AT Driver helmet gray?

WHAT IS THE CORRECT COLOR GRAY??

:confused

good one jez, having a wee chuckle about the grey not being white:lol

z

edit*

is it a glossy grey paint OR a grey paint with a laquer on top?

Last edited:

I've been tinkering with the idea, but I have to say I love the white look ha ha

Last edited:

Well here's my WIP. I tried a number of Automotive grey's and this was the lightest shade I could find and frim what I can tell the closest match. However without putting it together with the original I could actually be a long way off.

jezAT-At01.jpg

The decals are only temps to help illustrate and I'm not happy with the finish (not the grey piping and tusks) but its a start. That mohawk's gotta go too!

Cheers

Jez

Jez, is that a DL helmet you're working on? For the triangular mohawk piece, did you trim away some areas where the 'clock hands' sit (presumably to match the discovered AT-AT Driver helmet prop)?

Well here's my WIP....

jezAT-At01.jpg

Wow... nice work mate :thumbsup

Now all you have to do is rework the mowhawk, drive over to Dom's place and (ahem...) create a diversion.
"Bloody 'eck! There's a flying saucer right over your garden shed!" and then ... pick up the wrong helmet by mistake :love

Of course I'm only kidding, but you certainly have moved one step closer to having a super-accurate replica AT-AT Driver helmet!

Cheers,
John

Wow... nice work mate :thumbsup

Now all you have to do is rework the mowhawk, drive over to Dom's place and (ahem...) create a diversion.
"Bloody 'eck! There's a flying saucer right over your garden shed!" and then ... pick up the wrong helmet by mistake :love

Damn it John - you've just blown my plan - I was going to do a kind of Ocean's 11 on him, flashes, explosions, SWAT teams the lot. I'll have to think of something else now!

renzaijh - the helmet is an SDS hence the mohawk's gotta go. Dan's doing me a replacement which I'll swap over. Ive also got a complete DL AT-AT with Armour too but want to be sure on colours before I start that.

Cheers

Jez

Well here's my WIP. I tried a number of Automotive grey's and this was the lightest shade I could find and frim what I can tell the closest match. However without putting it together with the original I could actually be a long way off.

jezAT-At01.jpg

The decals are only temps to help illustrate and I'm not happy with the finish (not the grey piping and tusks) but its a start. That mohawk's gotta go too!

Cheers

Jez

JEZ

Lookin' really good so far!

For me this guy here is white
ATATlidgreydebate.jpg

You can see a RFT in the background.....it doesn't look like the same shade to me?
As for the side disc, could it not be from something more reflictive?

Does paint leach over time. Making the black ABS leach into the paint used?

Damn it, it looks white to me too, do we know how many AT-AT pilots there were made, if memory serves the 2 piloting Veers' AT-AT had red stripes on their mohawks?

ATATlidgreydebate.jpg

You can see a RFT in the background.....it doesn't look like the same shade to me?
As for the side disc, could it not be from something more reflictive?

Does paint leach over time. Making the black ABS leach into the paint used?

With the pic posted...it looks rather over exposed. Not to mention that the subject being photographed is way over lit.

On the other hand...the asprin bottle on the back seems to be the same color as Jez's paint job. Also, look at the hose at the front center...that is a lighter gray than the asprin bottle. Pay attention to the thingy that the hose connects into. We all know that's black...but in the pic it looks dark gray.

The other thought that I had was this. These were black buckets that had to be painted white. You ever try to paint over a dark color with a light one? There would have to be so much paint on these to get a "white" that the paint should be gloppy and the details softened. So, these may be gray due to the black bleeding through natrually.

Just thinking outloud.

Shawn

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back