Original ESB Walker Pilot Helmet

Thanks so much, Jez, a terrific review as usual. Keep 'em coming! :lol

You must be chuffed to bits at having this one to document. The paint is suprisingly matt in quality.

I hope this one remains in safe hands...

WOAH!!! That is REALLY grey :eek Who would've thunk it.

I'm stunned at it's condition, it's purdy :love

Thanks for sharing these with us Jez, once again you've done a great service to this community :thumbsup

As for the tube stripes, I tend to lean towards pin striping too. I'm a bit of a car enthusiast and have collected bits and pieces over the years and happen to have a few feet of some here that looks VERY similar.

Cheers,

Kraig

Awesome! Thanks as always, to you and your source, for sharing this! Looking the details over I wonder if this bit here:

swh_at-at_12s.jpg

Is the same thing as this bit here:

VaderROJSaber17s.jpg

Cheers!

Dave

I definitely believe that is the same part.

I know there have been a lot of replicas, but has anyone located that real piece?

To the best of my knowledge the piece has never been positively identified. The closest thing that has been found--and it's pretty close but not spot on--is a metal tire valve stem.

This also supports my belief that the RFT were grey... I have always thought they were grey but man has it been a fight to get folks believing.

That is a thing of beauty. Does it have the typical starfish pattern foam inside and a chin strap or is it something else? Grey bubbled lenses?

Cool thread Jez, thanks matey

How come the lenses have got grey paint on them?

Can you be certain this guy hasn't touched it? Just checking as in all the hi res shots Baden has, it doesn't look grey. Hence your thread, I know ;)

Just find it odd why the lenses have paint on them but the ones in the films dont

They have paint on them because they did not remove the lenses prior to getting painted. They were just masked off rather sloppily.

They have paint on them because they did not remove the lenses prior to getting painted. They were just masked off rather sloppily.

That doesn't really answer my question, but thanks Gino. the films ones are no where near that badly painted. Unless someone can spot this lid?

Gorgeous looking helmet, I think it looks very cool in grey! Thanks for sharing, Jez.

I'm wondering if you have some shots from the inside of the helmet? Since this helmet has bubble lenses (and since I can't see any other stunt details), was it based off a hero helmet? If that's the case, I am really curious about the lens colour!

That is a filmed helmet. In fact, it is the one used in all the promotional pics/toy packaging, etc.. as well. Photos of this specific helmet can be seen on set.
I think that this helmet's condition is fantastic and is much closer to how it looked during filming than people realize (which is the case with most screen used pieces).

BTW, this helmet has been spotted in the film, just from the rear.

That doesn't really answer my question, but thanks Gino. the films ones are no where near that badly painted. Unless someone can spot this lid?

Jez wrote this in his text:

Only one helmet is seen from the front and a possible four from the rear. Its worth pointing out at this stage that this helmet is NOT the one seen front-on - the detailing around the eyes and position of various tells (including the angle of the red cogs) makes this clear in my mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gorgeous looking helmet, I think it looks very cool in grey! Thanks for sharing, Jez.

I'm wondering if you have some shots from the inside of the helmet? Since this helmet has bubble lenses (and since I can't see any other stunt details), was it based off a hero helmet? If that's the case, I am really curious about the lens colour!

Tie pilot helmets utilized a hero style faceplate.
At-at pilots were simply repainted screen used tie pilot helmets.

Tie pilot lenses were a brown-ish smoke color.
Hero helmet lenses are believed by some to be the same as the tie pilots, and by others including myself to be dark green.

Stupid me, in the excitement I forgot that it's obviously made from a Tie :p

Thanks for reminding me, Gino. (If you remember, I was the one that dug up those two frames of green bubble lenses... - but that's off-topic so I digress.)

The fact that this helmet has turned out to be light grey has just raised my interest a bit in wanting to put together a costume. I always wanted to do one, but now this one just got bumped ahead of the standard TIE pilot. Really cool discovery.

Great to see these pics Jez!

I've got to admit that I don't remember the original AT-AT helmet that I saw (and tried on) being that grey, but it was a few years ago now.

Picking up on GINO's comment regarding them being repainted TIE helmets. I can say that the helmet I saw was not black inside (which I would have thought it would be if it was a re-used TIE helmet).

Chris

Last edited:
Great to see these pics Jez!

I've got to admit that I don't remember the original AT-AT helmet that I saw (and tried on) being that grey, but it was a few years ago now.

Picking up on GINO's comment regarding them being repainted TIE helmets. I can say that the helmet I saw was not black inside (which I would have thought it would be if it was a re-used TIE helmet).

Chris
You can see black paint, or the pastic, showing through the scrape marks on the ear of this bucket. Jez did not post pics of the inside of this one, though, so aside from those scratches and scrapes, it is hard to tell.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back