Question about lighting a model

Akanah

I am wanting to light up my Enterprise D model, and I was thinking of using fluorescents, because it would be more uniform of light, as opposed to leds or other bulbs. However, I am not sure the best way to go about it, or what I need other than the bulbs to get it to work... anyone who has done this before have some suggestions?

I made a flourescent D. I followed an article in a FineScale Modeler magazine called Famous Spaceships of Fact and Fantasy. I still see the mag at hobbyshops. ISBN 0-89026-563-0. Except his had 1013 lit windows and mine has 1145. Basically, you drill out all the windows you want, thin the inside and back it with diffusion filter. Every one, or pair, but only small groups. Tons of work. Took 7 months. There is a minor heat issue in the nacelles using 4" tubes, even with the finned aluminum pop can heat sinks. But nowadays there's all kinds of miniature pencil thin stuff that might not run so hot.

His flasher circuit is exceptional as well.

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
quarryman wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
I made a flourescent D. I followed an article in a FineScale Modeler magazine called Famous Spaceships of Fact and Fantasy. I still see the mag at hobbyshops. ISBN 0-89026-563-0. </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

What month/year was the magazine? I will look for it.

I have wired up a mini florescent systems that used very thin bulbs. It runs off of 12 volt DC, it consisted of 2 small circuit boards and 4 bulbs and threw enough light to light a small room. The bulbs also come in different colors. basically you order one circuit board for every 2 bulbs and solder it up once it arives add a 12 volt battery pack (or AC convert) and instant lights. now hiding it in the model is a different problem but one I think you should be able to handle fairly easily. for the Ent D I would think you'd need 4 bulbs and 2 circuit boards 1 for the saucer, 1 for the secondary hull/defelctor, 1 for each engine. you might want to add more to the saucer depending on how bright it turns out, but like I said they throw a lot of light... I haven't had any of my bulbs go bad but you might want to consider how you glue the parts together in case you want to crack it open in the future to replace a bulb.

This is the link to the catalog page from the place where I got mine. They are helpful and deliver promtly. They are also very good for all sorts of LEDs aand other electronic goodies. Good luck
icon_smile.gif

http://www.allelectronics.com/pdf/fl.pdf

Jedi Dade

This particular mag was one of those compilation books they do periodically. It does not have a month/year identification, although my book has copyright year 1996.

It looks as if Jedi Dade is describing the mini tubes I was trying to describe. May be worth checking out. Mine uses 5 regular 4" tubes. Two in the saucer, one in each engine, and one down the dorsal to light the dorsal, engineering section, and deflector.

Sorry bout the poor pics, they're all I have right now.
1701dshipyards.jpg

ncc-1701-dmodel.jpg

Thanks for the info guys!

I already have the brass covers for the grooves, as well as the 10 Forward, and upper decks for lighting. My only real trick is that I have the shuttlebay as well, but with the small bulbs, it should not be a problem.

I will order for all electronics.. thanks!

One of the coolest I've seen around here!

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
Jedi Dade wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
Quarryman - that is an awesome model dude!

Jedi Dade
</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back