32" Falcon Progress/ more new piccys page 23

tk1608

Sr Member
Hi All

I've decided to give it a go, so here's a few progress pics.
This is just the main shape cut from 1.5mm styrene.

Falcon1.jpg

A bit of this and that to give it some support.

Falcon2.jpg

More tubing and stuff added plus lights.

Falcon3.jpg

A pic to show the lights without the flash.

Falcon4.jpg

The lights are Ikea cabinet lights. I noticed a post here about them, I think it was on the ironman thread...I can't find the darn thread now..but Thanks very much to whoever that was, I had no idea these lights exhisted but for that post. I had a friend of a friend add the LEDs for the headlights to the curcuit. It needed to have the voltage reduced for the LEDs 'cos the Ikea set puts out 12v, and electronics is not my thing.
I'm gonna add one of the round set...see below..for the cockpit lights, and I have three of the striplight set installed for the engine lights. I wanted to use all four so it was really bright, but couldn't cram four in.
It needs diffusing a bit, I thought I could stick some alu foil inside to hopefully even out the light, and add a blueish tint if I can.

Round IKEA | Integrated lighting | Bookcase integrated lighting | DIODER | Multipurpose lighting
Strip IKEA | Integrated lighting | Bookcases integrated lighting | DIODER | Lighting strip

Anyway, there you go..there's a loooooong way to go yet and I'm not even sure that I will finish this. There's areas that I'm still not sure about, that I hope I can figure out when I get to them. We'll see..

Cheers

Phil

Last edited:
Re: 32" Falcon Progress pics

Your 'giving it a go' is sure looking impressive dude!. I'm mighty impressed with the lights, looking forward to more progress pics. Always great to see a Falcon scratched and not just another resin duplicate.
Stu:)

Looking great, I have them lights in my display cabinet, ingenious. Cant wait to see more on this build.

Thanks guys, meant to add that comments advise and help....especially Help...are welcome.

I must be mad !

Cheers

Phil

Phil got your mail buddy, thank you for that.
This will be one to watch for sure, thats looks an amazing start, the Falcon scares the poop out of me TBH, ID wise and its construction.

lee

Glad you got the mail Lee, and rest assured I'm pretty much poopin myself here too..lol

Phil

Hey!
I see a pic from my web page!
Im flattered!

Great Start! Let us know if ya get stuck some place!

Frank

There's some great pics on there Frank, I need to see more. I don't think I'll ever have enough ref pics for this thing. Thanks for the offer of help, I know I'm gonna need some.

Cheers

Phil

Re: 32" Falcon Progress pics/small update

Hey all, just a couple more pics with a few ribs added...slow going but progress all the same.

Ribsshrunk1.jpg

Ribsshrunk2.jpg

I have a question about the plating cut-outs/notches that I hope someone can help with...just wondering what size they need to be ?
I have a nibbler from micro mark that cuts notches almost 1/4 of an inch wide (6mm), this seems too big to me. I think it should be more like 1/8th, or maybe 3/16ths
Anyone know ?...I hope I don't need to cut them all out by hand with a knife, I'll be at it forever..

Cheers

Phil

Last edited:

For some reason i believe 2 different sizes were used to notch out the panels. I could be wrong though.... 1/4" seems about right, although i just eyeballed mine and cut them out with my xacto blade:unsure

I would definately NOT go any larger than 1/4".

Just where does one get a nibbler other than from Micromark which by the way offers a great service?. From a hardware store or some other source?.
Stu

Last edited:

Hey Stu, I got the micromark one 'cos someone mentioned it here I think, but before I went for that I tried to find a supplier more local to me. My search found that Amazon of all places listed a nibbler made by Draper Tools. I dunno if you have that where you are. I didn't find out what size notch the Draper one cuts though.. I decided that the micromark was probably best to go for, but it's something to consider I suppose..

Cheers

Phil

The Nibbler was used on the 5 footer.

Moe and I both agreed that the Nibbler cannot be used on the 32 inch.

We cut our notches by hand mostly.

I modified my nibbler so it didnt cut as deep initially. But eventually abandon that and did by hand.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back