32" Falcon Progress/ more new piccys page 23

Re: 32" Falcon Progress pics/small update

Yeah but what do you know...!? ;)

The Nibbler was used on the 5 footer.

Moe and I both agreed that the Nibbler cannot be used on the 32 inch.

We cut our notches by hand mostly.

I modified my nibbler so it didnt cut as deep initially. But eventually abandon that and did by hand.

Hey Stu, I got the micromark one 'cos someone mentioned it here I think, but before I went for that I tried to find a supplier more local to me. My search found that Amazon of all places listed a nibbler made by Draper Tools. I dunno if you have that where you are. I didn't find out what size notch the Draper one cuts though.. I decided that the micromark was probably best to go for, but it's something to consider I suppose..

Cheers

Phil

Phil, thanks for the nibbler info. I've decided to machine a few up with a range of cut sizes. Seems to me that a particular size was used on a number of models for the TESB . The ANH nibbler used is just way too big!. I'll still keep a lookout in stores here for something that may be of use to modify.
Stu:)

The Nibbler was used on the 5 footer.

Moe and I both agreed that the Nibbler cannot be used on the 32 inch.

We cut our notches by hand mostly.

I modified my nibbler so it didnt cut as deep initially. But eventually abandon that and did by hand.

Thanks for confirming that Frank, I thought the cuts my nibbler was making looked too wide, I should go with what looks right by eyeballing it in future..

Cheers

Phil

Looking great Phil......can't wait to see more prgress shots mate! :)

Keep up the great work.

Thanks for confirming that Frank, I thought the cuts my nibbler was making looked too wide, I should go with what looks right by eyeballing it in future..

Cheers

Phil

Yeah Phil,
Take the standard Nibbler...and half it. In width and length.
However,...if you LOOK closely...IM not sure they are all uniform.
The MR would be the best source..as it was laser scanned.

Your pics make it look so easy that I feel like making my own 32" falcon. I'll have to watch this thread closely. Great stuff, keep it up.

You can build the basic shape in a weekend.

its the detailing that takes forever.

A weekend???? you must work fast my friend.:thumbsup
It took me a month alone to get the top curved hull finished. I still have about half the bottom hull to finish. Although i did skip ahead and added details. afterall that is the fun part.:rolleyes

Re: 32" Falcon Progress pics/another update new pics

Hi All

A bit more progress, this was my first attempt at the mandible panels, as you can see the notches are too big. This was with the standard micromark nibbler..

MPsshrunk1.jpg

Second go...looks about right now I reckon,..well, near enough..These were all cut with the trusty knife one at a time.

MPsShrunk2.jpg

Panels stuck on, love that humbrol liquid cement, the smell was nice, lost a few more brain cells..

Mandiblesshrunk.jpg

A bit of skinning...sorry about the messy workspace, I didn't realise what a disgrace it was until I saw these pics.:lol

Skinshrunk2.jpg

And a bit more..

Skinshrunk3.jpg

All the top skins are on now, start on the bottom after the weekend.
Looking forward to boxing in the docking tube walkways and those front jaw thingy areas.
Not looking forward to cutting the cockpit tunnel tho..getting the angle right and making it fit the curve of the hull might be a difficult thing.

Cheers

Phil

Re: 32" Falcon Progress/update new pics

Looks GREAT!!!!!
Welcome to the WHAT THE F&%K WAS I THINKING CLUB.

hahah

Frank

Re: 32" Falcon Progress/update new pics

Great Job... boy those photos bring back memories... looks great and to quote the film.. "Here's where the fun begins.."

Steve

Re: 32" Falcon Progress/update even newer pics

Hi all

Another update..
just a bit of work on the docking corridors, card mock up
small2.jpg

Starting to build the gear bays
small4.jpg

small5.jpg

Boxing in the rear gear bay
small6.jpg

The lower jaw box with nose gear bay with edges sanded flush
small8.jpg

Top View with cockpit tube, this was difficult for me to get right to say the least. I knew it wouldn't be easy, but it was worse. I think it's ok now, at least it looks about right when I view it from the front. The walls of this tubing are really thick, it was a swine to cut. I cut too much off (wanted to avoid that) and had to re-attach some at the back.
small7.jpg

There you go, hope you likey

Phil

Last edited:
Re: 32" Falcon Progress/update newer pics page 4

Hey Phil, that's looking great !

I had the same issues with my cockpit tubing and with the jaw boxes, this is not an easy build at all... And all Falcon's builders get my respect ! I hope I'll be able to finish one someday lol

You're almost done with the basic shape and the fun will start with hull plating ! :love I used Tamiya extra fluid glue (the green one) to glue the plates and I had some problems several months after :s If I had to start again I would use another glue !

Anyway I wish you good luck for the rest of your build, it's very good and clean so far, it will be stunning once finished !

Dude, I likey very much!. Your build progress is looking awesome mate!. Been waiting for an update on your falcon, great to see you've been busy. I always thought that the cockpit tunnel must be a swine of a piece to get right at the mitre joint, yours looks great.
Keep it coming dude.:love
Stu

Damn Phil, great progress!! I remember making the tube fit nicely to the curves of the hull was a real pain. I did it by eye, and then had to rely on the old P38 to fix my lame judgement :lol

Keep it up!

Freaking sweet:eek
hope to get there too soon!
Maybe we can help eachother out with the detailing pieces???

Thats looking great Phil, one thing i always look forward to with your projects, there always so neat, clean and methodical, its going to be a trip seeing the donors fall on this one!

lee

hehe.. falcon builders know the tunnel dilemma, me too, was truly a pain to do..
Your falcon looks great, very clean work!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back