Sithcamaro (Toby Markham) sales issues

:rolleyes Bump in the road my... :rolleyes

Sure he has been around for awhile I used to love seeing his posts.

That being said it does not change the fact that he has turned into a flake and that is putting it kindly :unsure

There have been numerous threads as this one that have come up on him

Although Toby and I have PM'd in the past I have never purchased anything from him.

I will say that he has been around quite awhile and it is possible maybe he has just hit a bump in his personal road of "life."

Unless he has taken someone's money and ran lets give him the benefit of our doubt. (for now)

I know Toby and while I can't speak for how he runs his business, I can say that he does some excellent work and is quite talented.

One thing I have learned with people who make stuff. They are artist. Artist don't tend to be good with the business portion of things. Communication, follow up and adhering to delivery schedules seem to be an issue.

While this doesn't hold true for everyone, I have found it to be more common than not. When you find someone who actually delivers what they say when they say and communicated along the way, they will have customers for life.

That being said it doesn't make it right... I have had more than my fair share of these experiences.

:lol C'mon Man there are plenty of "Artist" here that know how to do business :lol

Those who don't do not last long here, and then these threads get started and eventually you Mods have to get involved

Maybe you can get in touch with him and tell him about this thread.

Again sad to see Toby go down like this but he has no one to blame but himself

One thing I have learned with people who make stuff. They are artist. Artist don't tend to be good with the business portion of things. Communication, follow up and adhering to delivery schedules seem to be an issue.

While this doesn't hold true for everyone, I have found it to be more common than not. When you find someone who actually delivers what they say when they say and communicated along the way, they will have customers for life.

That being said it doesn't make it right... I have had more than my fair share of these experiences.

:lol C'mon Man there are plenty of "Artist" here that know how to do business :lol

Those who don't do not last long here, and then these threads get started and eventually you Mods have to get involved

Maybe you can get in touch with him and tell him about this thread.

Again sad to see Toby go down like this but he has no one to blame but himself

In my experience, those who are the most successful have someone who helps to manage the business portion. It wasn't meant to be an offensive comment, it just seems to be more true than not.

This idea isn't new and like I said, people who can do both do exist, my mother is one of them.

Couple of articles on the subject

http://www.forbes.com/sites/moneywisewomen/2011/01/21/creative-brain-vs-business-brain/

http://businesstm.com/entrepreneurs/left-brain-right-brain-entrepreneurs.html

But no reason to get this off topic. I think I will start a new one :)

I was curious if anyone had any updates re: this thread....any more recent information or clarification which could be informative - and hopefully even concern-allaying?

Looks like so far no good :unsure

Which I'll admit does confuse me a trifle, given the fact that - I know he's posted on his Tumblr and FB and have, unless I'm mistaken, seen his updates on other projects, so he seems to all appearances to at least be active....which makes happenings, as recounted and demonstrated in this thread, kind of hard to understand.... :confused

To be sure and I'm still very much wanting one of the shorter sceptres, somehow or another, but given the experiences of others above in the thread - that they specifically stated, twice, for what they'd purchased to be sent in time for an event, and both times their request was ignored - that does make me awfully, unfortunately leery about ordering.

A while ago he actually assured me (very brief E-mail exchange, basically just the one) that certainly he could have the sceptre done and sent to me in time for my event in February....but I feel that I can't very well place an order, expecting and trusting for that to be the case, only to have that request ignored as well. (confidence, definitely not being inspired here, that's for sure) The events are just too important for that kind of uncertainty....

Par for the course really as he has not even bothered to reply to this thread and he has been on here since this thread was created.

I find it hard to believe that he does not know of its existance.

Caveat Emptor!!

Par for the course really as he has not even bothered to reply to this thread and he has been on here since this thread was created.

I find it hard to believe that he does not know of its existance.

Caveat Emptor!!

Oh yes, certainly so, and of course I'm rather relieved to have found this thread before I went ahead and placed such an order....and, potentially, given the experiences of others listed on the prior page, ended up frustrated, disappointed, vexed etc., for it. It's definitely a sucky situation, when the quality of craftsmanship is to all appearances so high and commendable otherwise....but the rest of it simply cannot be ignored. *sigh*

I had thought there might be others who could possibly bring to his awareness what was happening, and the genuine concerns people had, but....well, quite, and at least forewarned certainly is proverbially forearmed, in this instance, it would unfortunately appear. :unsure

Update:

My partner has still not received her Loki helmet.

We looked on his tumblr, and he'd posted pictures of FULLY COMPLETED Loki helmets over a month ago. From what he'd told her in the emails, she was his first/one of his first customers, and her payment helped pay for the materials to make the original casts. As such, she should be FULLY entitled to the first completed item he finishes.

Apparently, this is not the case.

She's had enough, and has emailed him requesting a full and complete refund. Like Qjuon, she was led to believe she was initially buying a completed/near completed product. When she found out it was being constructed from scratch, she was willing to wait.... but this is too far.

We are STILL waiting an email reply from SithCamaro regarding the refund. He's not responded to any of her attempts to contact him by email, twitter, or tumblr so far.

I am quite sickened that people would dare to make the excuse of the fact he's an "artist" somehow gives him a RIGHT to mislead people, take payment with no promise of goods, respond in a slow and misleading manner, then finish goods and not ship them to full-paid customers. The only "artist" that reminds me of is a scam artist.

This is fully unacceptable.

I sincerely hope we hear back from Toby soon, and receive a full refund.... but neither myself, my partner, or ANY of our friends in the costuming community will buy from him again.

Food for thought:

When dealing with this guy or other talented artists who tend to be slow to deliver; make a deal were you throw down a deposit then they get full payment when you get a tracking number. People might not like this idea but if it were me and getting payed depended on me getting that item out, it would be done real quick

My 2 cents

cfh935 - Had we known SithCamaro had a reputation for very slow delivery, we would have certainly considered a payment plan similar to that from the start.

However, we were unfortunately unaware, and my partner paid him in the apparently misplaced trust that she would receive good service.

It's a lesson we've sadly learned the hard way.

Exactly

I hope that didn't come off as a critique, wasn't meant that way, just a heads up for everyone else

Edit

Last edited:
KellyJane - I'm so very sorry to hear of your unfortunate experiences....that ongoing lack of any communication is quite simply appalling, shameful, eggregious and beyond unacceptable! You have my full and most profound sympathy, that's what, and I very sincerely hope that one way or another you get your refund!

To anyone with issues with SithCamaro:

In case you haven't done so already, I would highly suggest that you directly PM the moderators (Montagar usually handles stuff like this) about the issues you have with the seller. Make sure to include all relevant info and proof for documentation. A search shows that this is not the first time that SithCamaro has had problems with item delivery and non-communication, so I'm sure the mods will take this in account too.

cfh935 - It did not come across as critique :)

Loki of Asgard - We received an email from Toby late last night. He "doesn't do refunds". We are not in a situation where it appears we HAVE to accept the helmet, or risk a total loss of £250 (not the £200 I believed) and nothing to show for it.

I'm disgusted.

Serenity - Thank you for the advice. I shall do so. My partner is going to forward me all the email records she has. First, we want to see if he will ship the helmet at all. I've made sure to tell her it MUST be sent by a fully traceable service. Anything less makes me even more suspicious of him than I already am.

just my two cents....anybody who ships anything thats worth more than $10 these days should use a fully traceable service...and at the very least the green sticky from the post office for about 90cents.

Saves alot of agro.

I thinks theres two sides for every story but I always liked Mr T...his videos of Jack Sparrow always made me laugh.

Get this thing sorted mate and come back to the forum with your latest creation.

Did you happen to pay via credit card (or with funds from your card linked to PayPal)? If so, contact the company/provider directly and see if you can do a charge back through them. You may be past 45 days for PayPal, but the card provider should have some extra level of protection too.

cfh935 - It did not come across as critique :)

Loki of Asgard - We received an email from Toby late last night. He "doesn't do refunds". We are not in a situation where it appears we HAVE to accept the helmet, or risk a total loss of £250 (not the £200 I believed) and nothing to show for it.

I'm disgusted.

So - he's saying that he won't refund your money, yet it's still all these months and months later and you don't have the finished item, as promised - as you were, to be sure, naturally given every reasonable expectation that it would've arrived to you long before now? Egads, no wonder you're royally ticked! *shakes head fervently* Truly, I'm so sorry for all your stress and vexation....I can easily imagine how it feels, though (I'm kind of in a similar situation trying to get a replacement cravat for my IWTV Lestat, sigh) and I think I've got a bit of a tense knotted-up feeling in the pit of my stomach purely out of empathy! Do keep us apprised of what happens, for sure!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back