Best Falcon kit?

I would also be interested in this. Feel free to PM if it's easier.
icon_wink.gif

Since nobody builds a studio scale version of the falcon this would be a better question for the general modeling forum
icon_wink.gif

Jedi Dade

Unless Fine Molds builds a Falcon in 1/72 scale(doubt it),there is no "Best" Falcon kit out there to my knowledeg unless Tim,or Moe plan on making molds of their Studio Scale Models?The MPC Falcon is a royal piece of S$%#!$&?! strait out of the box.You can buy some cool resin aftermarket/upgrades for it.It looks great,but its not entirely acurate.

I have contemplated about making molds for Falcon starter kits(bare bones,no kit parts)of both studio scale&a half studio scale which is about the same size as the MPC kit.I have been researching into making a vacuu-formning machine of about 32" X 36" .It is much cheaper than buying a comercially made one which will run around $15,000&up.I have most of what I need worked out,but lack the funds to make it yet.I need around $3,000-$4,000.00.

I have more or less backed out of studio scale building...it was putting me in the poor house.I also have a "big" move in my future,and I'm moving again right now for work.I'll be fighting fires for the duration of the year until they(the Goverment) call the season off.

As far as any other Falcon kits made...I think their were some aftermarket kits made&were Japanese.One was a Vinyl kit if I remember right?It is near impossible to find&very expennsive if you do find one.It was very small though...around 10" in length I think,but I may be wrong.Takara made a metal kit,but it looks like crap..least I thought so.

There of course are some other "fan licensed" pewter kits,but they were'nt that great,and most were very expensive.Plus it would be no fun,cause there was no assembly.If there are any other kits out there I don't have any knowledge of them,but maybe someone else does?I don't think SMT ever tried making a Falcon.It's too bad,cause their kits are pretty cool,even if they are'nt always acurate.

I think that Lucas Films has put a stop to SMT's Star wars kits though.If only they'd get it through their heads that if they are going to grant licenses for companies to make kits,that they at least put some effort into making a good one,instead of an expensive piece of crap.Lucas is all about money,and while the last two Star Wars films might have looked cool,they were F%#!#^%ing stupid.It was all looks&show...no content.But...that's my opinion.Some Star wars fan may put a curse on me for saying that.

The kit you're talking about was made by Argonauts I think. I have a really bad recasting of that kit, its pretty detailed for such a small model. SMT - they were going to make one but LFL got wind of it and shut them down, too bad it would've been very cool. Falcon kits makes a accurizing kit for the MPC/ERTL kit that makes a very nice model but it isn't really accurate at all - it just looks one hell of a lot better then the stock kit. If I had to say, I'd say it resembles the ANH 5 footer the most, but even that is not all that close. The Code 3 model is a disgrace for the money they are asking for it - it needs a side panel upgrade as well
icon_wink.gif
the problem with Frank Tim or Moe doing a resin pull is that the model wasn't built to be taken apart and cast, and casting it in large peices is a royal pain in the a$$, not to mention the fact that the heat from the resin setting up would cause a lot of warpage in the end result. The best thing would be if someone with all of the parts to cast replicas of the original model parts or semi assembled sub assemblies - again a royal pain in the A$$, not to mention money, labor, and time intensive. It would be the best way to go but unlikely ever to happen. If anyone has all of the parts I'll try to cast them
icon_wink.gif
not that I'm a master mold maker but I'll give it a shot
icon_wink.gif

Jedi Dade

Sounds cool....I'd say...give me a little time,and I'll know if I'll be assembling that vacuu-Form machine I had planned or not.It mostly is inexpennsive,but the most expensive thing it the oven&having a box made to power all the electrical equipment.The motor,the compressor&oven elements.Getting an electrician to do it will be a Muther F!@$?&%!$~*%#ing nightmare&come with a big bill.Electricity is something I have a vauge grasp on and is something I don't even want to mess with as a means of learning "how to".

I saw the master patterns of Alfred Wong's Falcon he was making for SMT, it's a real damn shape Lucas put the kibosh on that!

Not much else to add here - I have the ERTL that will be worked on eventually - just waiting for some other parts to happen - ahem Dade
icon_wink.gif

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back