The DEFINITIVE TDK Joker Costume Thread/Project

The arms in this coat look WAY out of proportion :

Batman Dark Knight Joker Purple Trench Coat New Version - $139.00 : joker shirt

The coat itself looks ok, but the cuffs aren't belled at all, and the arms look absoutly horrible.

Jodo, which of the following coats look the most accurate to your eye?

Redballs and Magnoli are above my budget range, so I'd rather sacrifice some accuracy for a cheaper (but still decent-quality) coat. Thanks for all your help so far!

EDIT: hellocosplay got back to me. Apparently, the difference between their two coats is that "One has the needlework on the collar,the other one doesn't. Foe other part ,they are the same." (Looking closely, I think I see stitching on the collars of both coats, so I'm not sure I'm seeing the difference.)

They also said that they have upgraded the back of their vest to look more screen-accurate. (I'm not sure if their photographs show the old or the new version, however.) Alas, their shirts come with the incorrectly-oriented pattern and they can't change it.

EDIT #2: Redballs Joker coats are now on sale at eBay! Coats up to size 44 have dropped from $299 to $224.25. Still more than what I'd like to pay for a coat, but then again, if I'm getting a $300 coat for that much less... would anyone recommend the Redballs coat? I know it's made of denim, and I can't decide if that's a good thing or not. (Probably not as warm as a wool coat, and I was planning on using this coat as a winter coat.)

Last edited:
well i just got my shirt from the joker-shirt guys, i ordered it on sunday and it was posted on tuesday, so 3 days to Australia is pretty good....

the shirt is really well made and the material is comfy....the pattern isn't 100% accurate but thats not so much of a concern for me

as for the fit, i bought the freesize large shirt and it fits quite well, it doesn't seem oversized anywhere and has a good movement range....

if i'd bought it a month or 2 ago it wouldn't have fit as i've recently lost about 20 pounds, and since i plan to lose another 15-20 it should fit even better....

oh about the vest, they have 2 pictured on their site, one with 4 buttons and one with 5 buttons....i emailed them about it and they said the 5 button one is an old picture and the 4 button version is the one they currently sell....

Yes, I neglected to mention this, but I did ask them about that as well and received the same reply. They also said that they've improved the back of the vest, and that it now looks "more beautiful" than depicted in the pictures (though they didn't say what the improvements are). Still, the back of the vest as pictured on their website is leaps and bounds more screen-accurate than anything else I've seen in its price range (i.e. anything besides Magnoli).

Where are you planning to get the socks and tie?

I haven't decided between Utopia Base's socks and Sock Dreams' "Socks for Agents of Chaos" but I'm pretty sure I'm going to spring for a Magnoli tie.

i'm getting my socks and tie from utopia base....i'd love a magnoli tie....but i can't afford 60 bucks for a tie..lol....

EDIT: and i couldn't help myself....i just bought myself the socks and tie...lol.....

Last edited:
and i couldn't help myself....i just bought myself the socks and tie...lol.....

From Utopia Base? Do let me know how you like them!

On a slightly unrelated note... Joker cards! Anita18, over at the Superhero Hype forum, posted scans of an official deck of Joker cards (consisting of 47 unique cards). I took these scans and modified each of them to incorporate a 0.125-inch bleed margin, so that one can easily produce double-sided, full-bleed cards without having to worry too much about precision. After all, most printers aren't 100% consistent with the exact position of the printing area between pages.

Here is a PDF file consisting of 12 letter-sized pages, each with four (2 x 2) card images.

The idea is to print out as many double-sided copies as you want on letter-sized card stock, align your paper cutter or ruler with the black lines, and cut through the stack. Then round the corners, dirty up the cards, and you're good to go!

I hope some of you will find this useful. I haven't tried printing it out yet myself, so please let me know how they turn out!

(Note: Because I was trying to create full-bleed images from non-full-bleed scans, it goes without saying that the trimmed cards will not be an entirely-accurate reproduction of the originals. But until someone decides to create vectored versions of these designs by hand, this is probably the easiest and most foolproof solution.)

Ahhh, thanks for posting! I printed some out last year to hand out, but they only had a few diffrent backgrounds I used.

P.S. - Your discussing in the no discussion thread on SHH. :p ;)

P.S. - Your discussing in the no discussion thread on SHH. :p ;)

So I am! But I figured it made the most sense to post in that thread since that's where Anita posted her scans, and somehow the conversation went on. Oops.

By the way, Jodo, I gather from your previous posts that you think that the original (cheaper) hellocosplay coat looks better than the new one? Like I said a couple posts back, hellocosplay informed me that the only difference is that the new one has the edge stitching on the lapel while the old one doesn't. They do look different in the pictures but that could just be the lighting. The "bells" you mentioned, on the cuffs, isn't that just a result of leaving some of the cuff buttons unbuttoned?

Ah.. I should have figured as much!
Thanks, I had just assumed they'd already be purple :eek:, It's never that simple though haha

So I am! But I figured it made the most sense to post in that thread since that's where Anita posted her scans, and somehow the conversation went on. Oops.

By the way, Jodo, I gather from your previous posts that you think that the original (cheaper) hellocosplay coat looks better than the new one? Like I said a couple posts back, hellocosplay informed me that the only difference is that the new one has the edge stitching on the lapel while the old one doesn't. They do look different in the pictures but that could just be the lighting. The "bells" you mentioned, on the cuffs, isn't that just a result of leaving some of the cuff buttons unbuttoned?

I like the color of the old one better...But if they're the same, then it proboly is the lighting. LOL.

The cuffs are belled out, and unbuttoned...They do bow out because they're unbuttoned, but yes, they acutualy are belled cuffs.

I wonder if they could add the stiching to the pocket flaps as well.

I'd also be curious to see alot more shots of the vents and panels in the back of the coat. And if they could change it up a bit. I'd be interested in one of their coats if they could.

Something a little bit less.....Uhhh....Square.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/jodok/Joker/Download/WB Promo/dk08hl0022.jpg

And mabey they could add the seam through the pockets as well :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/jodok/Joker/Download/WB Promo/BIG6.jpg

If they would/could change for few things, I'd place my order ASAP. :D

Also just noticed...They only have 4 buttons on the sleeves. There should be 5.

You're right, I didn't notice that before. I think that cosplaysky's coat has 5 buttons on the cuffs, but overall it doesn't look as good as hellocosplay's. Utopia Base's coat looks like junk from the pictures, but I wonder if anyone here has tried it out and likes it.

Quick question for all you guys.
Anyone have sewing patterns for the elements of the costume? (Overcoat, blazer, vest, and pants?)
Also, a little off topic, but does anyone potentially have sewing patterns for an Arkham Asylum Joker suit? I'm trying to get 3 Joker suits made. One screen accurate TDK, one in-game accurate Arkham Asylum, and one with the Arkham Asylum pattern with TDK colors.
The last one looking a little like this: TDK styled Arkham Asylum Joker retexture

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back