The DEFINITIVE TDK Joker Costume Thread/Project

I've been told that the best "close enough" shoe is this:
skech257900_29395_jb1.jpg

Compare to this image: Joker hi-res

It's from Soho Lab, model is Greene Road.
You can buy it here: ShoeBuy.com
They have it for $60, but if you use coupon code EMLLABORDAY at the checkout, it takes $15 off your total, and UPS ground shipping is free.

The details are quite off, I know. But it already has a distressed look, and it's got the upturned end. For $45, I don't think you can find a better deal. And if you can, don't tell me cause I already bought mine. :p

Last edited:
Does anyone have any good high res pics of the back of the coat? I found a couple, but I was wondering if anyone has others.
-Todd

So I know I'm gonna get booed for this, and don't plan on getting it, but does anyone think that the Grand Heritage Joker from (*gulp) Rubies doesn't look half bad? Sure the shirt doesn't have the pattern and the tie stinks, but the rest just doesn't look too bad.

The SoHo lab shoes really do look to be the best alternative to the movie shoes - a good thing because aside from the pants, finding the shoes have been stressing me out the most. I will certainly buy a pair soon because they may end up selling out (just my luck). But if anyone discovers the manufacterer of the real movie shoes, those of course will be bought.
I'm just surprised no one has been able to track the original shoes down yet. I may try sending pics out of the screen-used shoes to Italian shoe designers and see if I can come up with any leads.
In the meantime, there seems to be another conteder on Ebay offering a Joker topcoat that looks really great - a wool blend that seems to be a cheaper and even better alternative to the Redballs coat.
Check out the link and post what you think...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Purple-Coat-Cos...ryZ16119QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I looked at that... the only thing is that they don't have anything except one very dark picture with watermarks going across it. I just can't trust it w/o seeing more.

I also emailed someone else who had three coat/ vest/ shirt combos that looked pretty good, except the lining looked purple. So I asked about the lining, they replied with this item is currently out of stock! How do you have three listed and then tell me it's out of stock?

Here's one of the chinese coats that a friend of mine got in the mail today. Said it was about 90% accurate (as far as tailored to his measurements). Said it couldn't be beat for the money. this one was 69.99+35 shipping.

untitled-1.jpg

untitled2.jpg

Those look awesome! Very clean. You made those yourself using that stuff?

No need to "make" them - you simply paint the stuff on your face and as it dries it tightens up the skin to look like a scar. I've always seen it spelled "rigid colloidon," though, if you want to look for it.

No need to "make" them - you simply paint the stuff on your face and as it dries it tightens up the skin to look like a scar. I've always seen it spelled "rigid colloidon," though, if you want to look for it.

Ah, i miss-spelled it to start as well. Rigid Collodion is the correct term.

+make-up
WARNING!!
Word to the wise with this stuff: MAKE SURE THAT YOU SHAVE THE AREA.... WELL!!!!
It hurts to pull off anyway, but any hair you get stuck in it is like having your hair waxed off. It HURTS!!
Photo8-2.jpg

In the meantime, there seems to be another conteder on Ebay offering a Joker topcoat that looks really great - a wool blend that seems to be a cheaper and even better alternative to the Redballs coat.
Check out the link and post what you think...

The Redballs coat is actually a lot more accurate than the picture they posted suggest. The satin liner is spot on color wise. The purple is a dark more... menacing purple I suppose you could say. I know there are a lot of complaints about it being made from denim instead of wool... but, after wearing the denim coat, I don't think you'd want thick wool. Screen accurate, yeah. It would be insanely hot with that many layers on though. Kudos to Ledger for putting up with it throughout filming.

Another interesting bit, I had a nice button up shirt and suit coat in my closet that I threw on to "properly" test out the coat. The layers almost force you into the hunched over posture he had going on.

Good to hear Grenade King. I ordered the RedBalls coat thinking the denim would be cooler (I'm in Australia; wearing multiple heavy layers of wool is a good way to get heatstroke) and it was the only coat I could find that had the stitching and lapels looking just right. I managed to get a lighter blazer for underneath as well. Will have to get it re-lined though.

The major problem I'm having currently are the pants, the tie (Turnbull & Asser haven't returned my e-mails, and I'm loathe to make an overseas call) and the prop knives and guns.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

Well I wouldn't go wearing it out in the daytime unless it was smack in the middle of a good cold winter.
It's a real coat. It's going to keep you warm on a cold day, or make you hot on a hot day. Not as bad as wool, but I wouldn't take a strole in the middle of the afternoon, you know? :lol

Call Turnball & Asser at thier New York location. They should be able to give you some info on when they plan on having more ties available.
I am having one of the chinese companies do a wool topcoat for me, and looking into having a costuming company in Hollywood make up the vest and pants. Haven't yet decided if I want to include the suspeners or not - there are a lot more important details to get out of the way first.
If anyone has a link to a great blazer to wear under the coat, please post it!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back