Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Apopka, FL
    Aug 6, 2008, 6:07 PM - Cylon Centurion Head and Neck Display 1:1 Scale From Sculpture to Display #1

Sculpture/Urethane Foam:

Finished sculpt with candy coated shell ready for mold:

Case mold:

Neck mold:

First cast ready for paint:

High Gloss Automotive Metallic Paint:

Light bar:

Finished Display:

Video:
    http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/l...t=100_1590.flv
    From
    Apopka, FL
    Aug 6, 2008, 6:12 PM - Re: Cylon Centurion Head and Neck Display 1:1 Scale From Sculpture to Display #2

The light bar for now is too fast. I bought this bar at a motorcycle supply web site. I'm having Timeslip-a fellow chap here at the RPF-make me a custom bar that works just like the show.
    Aug 6, 2008, 6:12 PM - Re: Cylon Centurion Head and Neck Display 1:1 Scale From Sculpture to Display #3

Very nicely done!
    Aug 6, 2008, 7:25 PM - Re: Cylon Centurion Head and Neck Display 1:1 Scale From Sculpture to Display #4

That's freakin' awesome!
  5. Official Licensee RPF Premium Member Got Maul's Avatar
    Aug 6, 2008, 7:29 PM - Re: Cylon Centurion Head and Neck Display 1:1 Scale From Sculpture to Display #5

Dude, you have SERIOUS skills ! How do you maintain near perfect symmetry in your sculpts ?
    From
    Wonder Lake, IL
    Aug 6, 2008, 7:31 PM - Re: Cylon Centurion Head and Neck Display 1:1 Scale From Sculpture to Display #6

Well done! Incredible sculpting!
    From
    Chicagoland
    Aug 6, 2008, 7:46 PM - Re: Cylon Centurion Head and Neck Display 1:1 Scale From Sculpture to Display #7

Yup... That's frakking amazing!

(Glad to see another Fleet member also!)
    From
    Apopka, FL
    Aug 6, 2008, 7:58 PM - Re: Cylon Centurion Head and Neck Display 1:1 Scale From Sculpture to Display #8

Got Maul said: View Post
    Dude, you have SERIOUS skills ! How do you maintain near perfect symmetry in your sculpts ?
    Thanks all for the warm replies.

It takes alot of bondo, sanding, filing, caliper checks, more bondo, more sanding, and did I mention sanding to get acceptable symmetry.
    From
    Burnie, Tasmania, Australia
    Aug 6, 2008, 8:37 PM - Re: Cylon Centurion Head and Neck Display 1:1 Scale From Sculpture to Display #9

Love it. I don't know what's more impressive. The great sculpt or you sick mlding techniques! Well done mate

Regards
    TAZ
    From
    Chicago
    Aug 7, 2008, 1:28 AM - Re: Cylon Centurion Head and Neck Display 1:1 Scale From Sculpture to Display #10

Fantastic work! It's always good to see a build in steps. What materials did you use for everything?
    From
    Melbourne, Australia
    Aug 7, 2008, 4:05 AM - Re: Cylon Centurion Head and Neck Display 1:1 Scale From Sculpture to Display #11

Wow again, you do simply amazing work. If you ever get the time or the inclination, starting a separate thread detailing your molding techniques would be greatly appreciated!! I am as impressed by those as your sculpting and painting skills.
    Last edited by synasp; Aug 7, 2008 at 11:31 AM. Reason: WTB are only allowed in the JY or PMs.
  12. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Launch Bay Alpha
    Aug 7, 2008, 11:43 AM - Re: Cylon Centurion Head and Neck Display 1:1 Scale From Sculpture to Display #12

Sweet!
  13. Member Since
    Apr 2002
    Aug 7, 2008, 12:31 PM - Re: Cylon Centurion Head and Neck Display 1:1 Scale From Sculpture to Display #13

Very good job.
    Love it.
    Steve Horch
    From
    Apopka, FL
    Aug 7, 2008, 1:19 PM - Re: Cylon Centurion Head and Neck Display 1:1 Scale From Sculpture to Display #14

synasp said: View Post
    Fantastic work! It's always good to see a build in steps. What materials did you use for everything?
    Thanks guys for all the compliments! It means a lot coming from you fellas here at the RPF.

Materials I used are:
    Sculpture--Urethane foam which I was able to resin coat right over the top without the resin eating the foam like it does with white foam. Then I bondoed some areas to improve shape and detailing. After that I sprayed a high building polyester sandable primer. Sanded it ultra smooth and spray painted it a high gloss surface for molding.
    Molding--Cheap oil based clay for future silicone, fiberglass jacket, and Mold Max 30 from Smooth On.
    Casting--Gel Cote, and fiberglass.
    Paint--Epoxy primer, Matthews polyurethane acrylic paint "Sparkle Silver" and High gloss clear from Matthews as well.
    The base is made of aluminum.
    Light bar is a Knight Riderz bar from Custom Dynamics LLC motorcycle custom light supply web site. The bar is run by a nine volt battery and toggle switch.
    The lens is cut from a face shield I bought from a welding supply shop.
  15. Member Since
    Nov 2006
    Aug 7, 2008, 3:37 PM - Re: Cylon Centurion Head and Neck Display 1:1 Scale From Sculpture to Display #15

thanks for responding. can you tell us what density the foam is? and if it was a block or something you casted. thanks.
    From
    Apopka, FL
    Aug 7, 2008, 10:19 PM - Re: Cylon Centurion Head and Neck Display 1:1 Scale From Sculpture to Display #16

dcc_clone said: View Post
    thanks for responding. can you tell us what density the foam is? and if it was a block or something you casted. thanks.
    The foam I used was a left over piece of 2 lb density urethane foam out of a 4'X8'X2' block from another project where I used to work. So it wasn't something I casted (not a bad idea though). The foam came from an insulation company called SPI or specialty products & insulation co. The smallest block you can get is a 4'X4'X2' block which is mucho expensive at approx. $400.00. The foam is awesome to carve from. You can even use your finger for rubbing in shapes and smoothing it out, but the dust is a nightmare-and hope you don't get any in your eyes
    From
    Ottawuh, Canaduh!
    Aug 7, 2008, 11:04 PM - Re: Cylon Centurion Head and Neck Display 1:1 Scale From Sculpture to Display #17

Wow....very cool!
  18. THStudio is offline THStudio
    Aug 8, 2008, 12:39 AM - Re: Cylon Centurion Head and Neck Display 1:1 Scale From Sculpture to Display #18

You do some amazing work, as someone else said your sculpting is as great as your molding and finishing.

I too would love to see even more molding and preparation pictures within the behind the scenes if you have any available.

Tyler
    Aug 8, 2008, 1:35 AM - Re: Cylon Centurion Head and Neck Display 1:1 Scale From Sculpture to Display #19

Awesome job on that!
    Aug 8, 2008, 12:21 PM - Re: Cylon Centurion Head and Neck Display 1:1 Scale From Sculpture to Display #20

Great job would love to see more. Keep up the good work.
    From
    Apopka, FL
    Aug 11, 2008, 8:00 PM - Re: Cylon Centurion Head and Neck Display 1:1 Scale From Sculpture to Display #21

New update--Timeslip has finished my custom eye sweep that I asked him to build for me--needless to say I'm as giddy as a school boy
    Here are some pics he sent me, I'll upload a video once I get it and install it.

From
    Wisconsin
    Aug 12, 2008, 12:22 AM - Re: Cylon Centurion Head and Neck Display 1:1 Scale From Sculpture to Display #22

Very nice job.

Say, you'll have to excuse my ignorance if the following is completely obvious...but who is the stunning woman in your picture?

Shawn
    Aug 12, 2008, 12:47 AM - Re: Cylon Centurion Head and Neck Display 1:1 Scale From Sculpture to Display #23

That is a very nice piece of work, very well done.

Did you do this all at your home? I have worked with the urethane foam, and it makes quite a mess. I start to find foam dust everywhere.
    From
    Apopka, FL
    Aug 12, 2008, 8:06 AM - Re: Cylon Centurion Head and Neck Display 1:1 Scale From Sculpture to Display #24

Uber Fett said: View Post
    Very nice job.

Say, you'll have to excuse my ignorance if the following is completely obvious...but who is the stunning woman in your picture?

Shawn
    That is Leah Cairns, Racetrack , a Raptor pilot on the show. I had her sign my cylon prop for me at MegaCon in Orlando this year. She loved it. I promised to make her one and send it to her. She took hers on the set with her and had the cast and crew and producers sign hers for her.
    From
    Apopka, FL
    Aug 12, 2008, 8:09 AM - Re: Cylon Centurion Head and Neck Display 1:1 Scale From Sculpture to Display #25

clonesix said: View Post
    That is a very nice piece of work, very well done.

Did you do this all at your home? I have worked with the urethane foam, and it makes quite a mess. I start to find foam dust everywhere.
    Yes, but I worked outside and had an air compressor to blow the dust away before it got out of hand.