X-Wing Research: Differences Between the Hero and Pyro Models

No really? And we care? What have you contributed? Exactly nothing...:rolleyes

Listen, I realize you've got all kinds of issues, but just take it easy, will ya please? People were playing nice until you graced us with your own "valuable" contribution here.

When comparing photographs some people prefer to have them undistorted, that's all.

_Mike

Holy crap, it's a like a college course in X Wings. This is great!

As for the pics...right click/save, right click/save, right click/save:lol

WOW, WOW, WOW. What I miss for being on the wrong side of the world. Thanks to all for the great new SAG pics etc, and Jay, wow!! Beaz, thanks for digging up Famous Spaceships, I have no idea where my copy is. Love the first-gen sources. :)

Some thoughts:

* I'm still convinced the red-cockpit is a Red 6. On the upper-right wing I can count either five or six stripes depending on how I squint. :) But on the lower-left one, there are two big bits of masking tape and six stripes of tape, meaning the ship has either six or seven stripes, depending on how close one of the thin bits of tape is to the bigger piece. Could there have been two Red 6 models?

(Aside: once they had the full set of moulds, I can't see why models intended for screen time wouldn't have been made up from them castings, as well as pyros. A big time-saver. So I agree that the distinction does seem likely to be blurred, especially if Ray's idea of models constructed for filming that was subsequently canned is close to the truth).

* Oh man, I wish that Japanese photo was in colour!

* Yes, the red panel forward of the red cockpit canopy does look like it matches the grey panel on Red 5. However we know this isn't an early incarnation of the hero Red 5 - the wings are solid, and the butt plate is pyro. Also, the OTHER side of the fuselage has the SAME red panel, in a rare instance of symmetry. :lol I don't think Red 5 matches, side-to-side.

* Useless aside: Lord, I love the red-cockpit ship too. It's actually my favourite. When my V3 arrives (where is it???) I'll be building her up as this ship.

* The cone-head droid on the yellow-cockpit is EVEN MORE puzzling than it may seem at first - I don't think it is an R5 model! I think it's that other cone-head type with the hexagonal or octagonal head made up of flat panels! The paint job matches some of the life-size versions in the movie - only this type had the big vertical stripes running down the middle of the panels. That's *really* strange. Love it.

* The pic everyone thought might be a built-up wing looks like just another casting to me. Acrylic would be unlikely to have bubbles, or for the trailing edge to split that way. You can also see the tan resin colour everywhere. Where is the interior panel people are talking about? Can't see it.

* Re the unweathered ship in the background, a white base coat isn't news is it? IIRC, Famous Spaceships indicated they were hit with white automotive primer as the base coat to give a hard, strong surface that could take the abuse that was to follow. :)

* HOLY FREAKIN CARP, in the new armature pic, are those FREON TUBES????! They look like a bit more than just ducting for cables! We coulda had Viper engines on these things!!!

* The Japanese article pic of Red 4 from above definitely looks rough-as-guts pyro - split nose, rough wing markings etc. No yellow cockpit. Does have the bluegrey bands on the Saturn V parts, which the "table cluster" pic doesn't show.

* What are the small-scale models on each side of the big X in the bottom pic on the Japanese page?

Cheers,
Martyn

Last edited:
* The cone-head droid on the yellow-cockpit is EVEN MORE puzzling than it may seem at first - I don't think it is an R5 model! I think it's that other cone-head type with the hexagonal or octagonal head made up of flat panels! The paint job matches some of the life-size versions in the movie - only this type had the big vertical stripes running down the middle of the panels. That's *really* strange. Love it.

I have extremely high-res photos of this X-Wing from multiple orthographic angles, and that droid head, while a touch "soft" overall, is an R4 head. It most closely matches R4-M9, one of the droids seen in the Tantive corridor as the Rebel prisoners are being led off by stormtroopers. That droid had green stripes, this droid has gray stripes, but is otherwise very similar.

_Mike

I have extremely high-res photos of this X-Wing from multiple orthographic angles, and that droid head, while a touch "soft" overall, is an R4 head. It most closely matches R4-M9, one of the droids seen in the Tantive corridor as the Rebel prisoners are being led off by stormtroopers. That droid had green stripes, this droid has gray stripes, but is otherwise very similar.

_Mike

Mike, brilliant! That's exactly what I thought the second I saw that stripe - just like the green/cream one from the opening scenes. I'd always thought all the R2 strips were identical moulded copies; it seemed like even where they stuck an R5 in the cockpit mockup/set for the live-action we saw a round dome on the model. How nice to know that the model shop guys got extra-creative, and even nicer that they chose the most obscure model of droid!!

Last edited:
Sorry to take this thread off course but...
Those pics Jay posted, did anyone else take a look at the TIE? It has the details of the Icons TIE. So either that is what is pictured or it is a real pyro and that is what Icons based thier TIE on.

Ok Ive just gone through the thread again.

has anyone ever considered doing a color chart for x-wings? Like in the fighter craft books at my local hobby shop, why doesn't someone do the x-wings? The yellow cockpits and the red cockpit and guns is really cool! I've seen tha pic of Dykstra painting the red a dozen times but never noticed all that red before.

I'm actually already working on it.

Great minds!!

Speaking of - any one have ready to go vector art I can "color"? I started drawing one, but if it saves time...

This thread inspired me to make an "ID booklet" just as you are describing.

Ok Ive just gone through the thread again.

has anyone ever considered doing a color chart for x-wings? Like in the fighter craft books at my local hobby shop, why doesn't someone do the x-wings? The yellow cockpits and the red cockpit and guns is really cool! I've seen tha pic of Dykstra painting the red a dozen times but never noticed all that red before.

I have to agree, a color chart for x-wings would be great! This is such an amazing thread, thank you to all the contributors. I have learned a lot and I am becoming an X-wing fanatic at the same time.

Okay - I'm starting to cull the data, compare pics, and interesting things are happening...

For example - Blue 1. Blue One becomes Red 2, as we've discovered.

When Blue 1 starts out, it has a white canopy, no cockpit/pilot/artoo, and four matching cannon barrels - all four have two small pinstripes (yellow) just ahead of the last heatsink part. It is also 100% the XWing that went to Elstree. Marking match up on the body (even in black and white) and it has a few markings that do not appear on any other X, but DO appear on the full size mockups.

No cockpit, droid, etc etc:
blue1red1.jpg

Now, flash forawrd to 2003, when our friendly neighbor to the North, Ken Rice, takes pics of the same X-Wing, way way way post modification to Red 2. Look at the top two cannons:
kr_Xwing_back_top.jpg

Compare those cannons to the ones seen on the X-Wing in the foreground, rear - the one with no red stripes on the fuselage:
40.jpg

Thick yellow banding, much further down the barrel, and not seen on any other X-Wings.

So, what does that tell us? These suckers swapped parts, probably on the fly, as things got broken. This only adds to the mystique of these dang birds, and it sure makes it challenging to figure out what went where, and when!

I haven't had this much fun on the RPF in ages!!

so they swapped laser canons huh? Ive read that the filming crew was always beating up the models and had to call the model makers to come out and repair them all the time, they could very well have "popped" them off of this one to put on red 2 after red 4 was blown up(pyro), since they wouldnt need the red 4 anymore it couldve been canniblized for the others.

That is so cool - super double extra proof!

And here's another that illustrates the spot for spot weathering evidence:

redblue.gif

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back