X-Wing Research: Differences Between the Hero and Pyro Models

My photo of "Blue 12" which actually has red stripes, matches this magazine photo of Red 6 in a couple distinct areas. Either it started with full 6 stripes, which then had a strip removed from the center making 12 bands, or it started as 12, and they filled in the gap to make 6 solid stripes.

_Mike

also, the black and white pic matches the "exploded" fighter pic too! (page 6)
They both have a distinctive stripe under the fuselage.

Last edited:
Sure looks like it to me.

Wait - which yellow cockpit?
There's a red 4 with a yellow cockpit:

4droid.jpg

And there's a yellow cockpit with no discernible striping - and the yellow marking on the cans and cannons do not match (so there's at least two yellow cockpit X's at some point):
40.jpg

Is this a Red 6? With a red cockpit?

red6maybe.jpg

Well that last photo of Red4 looks like good evidence of the existence of two Red4's. While the last photo is clearly a pryro, thickness of red markings matching Bob Burn's the Red4 sat on the table looks nothing like it.

Very nice arrows Jason! that points out exactly what Martyn and i were trying to show in another thread.
your red 4 pic with the yellow cockpit and yellow cans does match the other pic in your post.

Last edited:
Jason, is the pick below that DS posted the counter part to the wing you posted of a Red4 wing from Bob Burns collection?

I don't know, but I took the picture at Disney World in 2003. I thought I had the rest of the set up somewhere but apparently not. I'll try to dig them up and repost them.

They were various pyro X-wing pieces and several DS panels (one with an R2 strip and the elusive Sherman panel under the cannons), all made of that foamy material. Also a near-complete TIE and an intact and unpainted X of unknown origin.

Great thread, guys!

I really dont mean to hijack this thread...so Im very sorry!

But....where are you guys finding these vintage behind the scenes pics? :confused

Are there any of the 5' falcon?

I'll post a few ANH-era Falcon pics in the AM for ya in a new thread (if someone else doesn't start one)

Apparently the pryo fuselage was held together with masking tape that was painted over. :lol

Also note the "scoring" on the R2 strip (which I had always assumed was an elegant cutting of grooves on the inside) is simply random and ugly swipes with a roto cutting tool.

And do ya see? 5 stripes! Oh, Luke...

As much as we talk about the art and elegance of every single facet of this stuff, we sometimes forget that "quick and dirty" gets the job done sometime, eh?

That one in the back (unweathered) sure shows a white base coat... FWIW.

Yeah, I recently learned that particular X's livery - it's not a red 4, at all. Tomorrow I'm going to start assembling an "id chart" so we can start really nailing these guys down.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back