X-Wing Research: Differences Between the Hero and Pyro Models

With you on that Rich lol, Red 5....yaawwnnn lol, i can understand why many like her, but that bird bores me to death lol.
Red 1, always a fave....and red and yellow canopies, hell yeah on that too, i love the diverse stuff!

lee

I have photos going all the way back to when they were Blue group, with blue stripes on them, and I find it very hard to determine how many there were, because they kept getting repainted. The first time Blue 3 got turned into Red 3, the Red 3's paint job is completely different from the Red 3 paint job that finally appeared in the film.

I haven't thoroughly looked into this yet, but if all the blue group model photos, which were taken by John D on the same day (identical set-up/location, anyway) then there were only 4 hero models - Blue 4, Blue 12, Biggs Blue 3, and Blue Leader. But that seems odd, because I would think Blue 5 would've been in there, too, unless Luke had a different ship in that draft of the script. The only character name referred to specifically is Biggs, for Blue 3.

_Mike

Wow, didnt know they all were pretty much marked up blue, thought it was only as far as Red 2/Blue Leader, awesome bit of info Mike!

lee

Wow, didnt know they all were pretty much marked up blue, thought it was only as far as Red 2/Blue Leader, awesome bit of info Mike!

lee

Well you know what? I have gigs of these photos, and I just organized them in Lightroom, and it appears I have two identical sets of these C-Stand photos, but one set is either red that's been colored blue to match the Blue Leader photo, or they're blue that've been colored red to match the finals? They're absolutely identical photos, and there are pieces of paper taped to the C-Stand which say John D. Blue 4, John D. Blue 12, etc. So I figured the blue striped photos were the originals. Are you suggesting the red versions are actually the legit photos, but labeled as Blue group anyway?

_Mike

I'm sure we've all seen these a million times, but hey - if we're doing a research thread, maybe these will help:

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

Before and after (pow pow!):
33.jpg

29.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

My fave:
37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

This last one has a mystery or two - that yellow cockpit X doesn't appear to be the Red 4 "hero/pyro" - different droid, a yellow stripe on the upper left laser cannon, etc etc
40.jpg

Guys, if you flip this pic to the right orientation, that yellow canopied X wing, has the same yellow Saturn V can marking as Red 5.
Also, i get the feeling that is the Red 1 pyro behind the hero!

lee

Cool, so what makes you confident it's a hero?

Confident? Well I'm no expert on X-Wings, but they sure look like heroes to me, in terms of fuselage proportion, build quality and details. And if -as suggested in Post #2- the "being able to see under the wing cutouts" is a valid criteria, then yes, they're definitely heroes.

_Mike

Last edited:
Well you know what? I have gigs of these photos, and I just organized them in Lightroom, and it appears I have two identical sets of these C-Stand photos, but one set is either red that's been colored blue to match the Blue Leader photo, or they're blue that've been colored red to match the finals? They're absolutely identical photos, and there are pieces of paper taped to the C-Stand which say John D. Blue 4, John D. Blue 12, etc. So I figured the blue striped photos were the originals. Are you suggesting the red versions are actually the legit photos, but labeled as Blue group anyway?

_Mike

You mean like this image? The Chronicles also shows it as red. I would still like to know why you believe the Blue4/Red4 is a hero and not a pyro.
kgilmxwingpainting20006tn2.jpg

You mean like this image?I would still like to know why you believe the Blue4/Red4 is a hero and not a pyro.

No, they're orthographic photos of a single ship at a time on a C-Stand. And I answered why I thought it was a hero in my last post.

_Mike

No, they're orthographic photos of a single ship at a time on a C-Stand. And I answered why I thought it was a hero in my last post.

_Mike

Nightmare. It seems like you and Jason share the same photos but differ in opinion as to whether it's a hero or pyro. Jason seems to think he sees a seam line running across the top.

Could be; I haven't done the leg-work or hours of scrutiny to say definitively. If I really know something, I say so; in this case, I'm saying to my casual observer's eye. But we'll work it out.

_Mike

But if you zoom the pic in you can see that all four engine cans have yellow paint on them.
Also, which ship has the red laser canon? red 3 4 or 6? thats what i would like to know.
i also believe that the other ship next to red 1 is the pyro.
If that is red 6 im gonna poop myself! It would make some sense that the one with the red fuselage and red canopy would have the red canon.

But if you zoom the pic in you can see that all four engine cans have yellow paint on them.
Also, which ship has the red laser canon? red 3 4 or 6? thats what i would like to know.
i also believe that the other ship next to red 1 is the pyro.
If that is red 6 im gonna poop myself! It would make some sense that the one with the red fuselage and red canopy would have the red canon.

Wow, stunning work Jerry, but she also seems to have the same scratchmarking on the left side of the nose.

lee

I just realized - we're looking at the naked "wiring harness" (those curly wires with brass fittings) that forms those small rows of round bumps on the X hero models, next to mounting points (usually on the side and in the buttplate) - those little brass rods:

ndvd005copybd4.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back