X-Wing Research: Differences Between the Hero and Pyro Models

Thank you very much jedimaster!But,my mistake.This situation doesn't look like the situation when the wings are opening.The second X-Wing looks like RED 2 to me because the R2 unit looks white.

By the way,which scene is this picture?In the scene of Luke,Biggs and Wedge are waiting on Death Star while the RED leader in the trench,you can see two RED 5 and RED 2.Are there any possiblity that two RED 5 were built for ANH?

In another movie the same vehicle is made for some reasons.

It ha been brought up before that there may have been 2 red 5 models. Possibly one being a pyro. If you look at the wing markings of red5 in the table top pix they look shocking and very messy. Unlike some of the trench shots and publicity pix.

Hi this seems like THE place to go for X-wing model information and I had some questions about the astromech droids so I thought I'd post and see if anyone can help. I made this photo of what I think are all of the droids used in the models so firstly; Is this all of them? I didn't include the silver and red one because I assume that was repainted for Empire. And second; I know some (all?) were removeable and moved around so I was wondering which model these were originally in. I labeled the obvious ones but assume since some of these are from pictures of Y-wing models (which were empty originally) they were moved around. Thanks for any help.
astromechs.jpg

Thank you very much jedimaster!But,my mistake.This situation doesn't look like the situation when the wings are opening.The second X-Wing looks like RED 2 to me because the R2 unit looks white.

By the way,which scene is this picture?In the scene of Luke,Biggs and Wedge are waiting on Death Star while the RED leader in the trench,you can see two RED 5 and RED 2.Are there any possiblity that two RED 5 were built for ANH?

In another movie the same vehicle is made for some reasons.

PDVD_465.jpg

I'm sure this is the shot you are referring to. It was either on this thread or another X-Wing thread that several posters mentioned that one of the Red 5s were composited into that shot. The other bird in back appears to be Red Leader. By my math there is still one of the 9 pyros still unaccounted for (based on the Famous Spaceships article), so it's possible the missing pyro could be a Red 5 or possibly a Red 2 pyro, but I'm not sure why they would have built pyros for them since both ships survive in the script.

I just looked at the article again to check the numbers and the 9 pyros total is not specifically quoted from anyone in the article, but McCune was quoted in the previous paragraph and elsewhere so I was left with the impression that he was the source on the 5 heros and 9 pyros.

Hi this seems like THE place to go for X-wing model information and I had some questions about the astromech droids so I thought I'd post and see if anyone can help. I made this photo of what I think are all of the droids used in the models so firstly; Is this all of them? I didn't include the silver and red one because I assume that was repainted for Empire. And second; I know some (all?) were removeable and moved around so I was wondering which model these were originally in. I labeled the obvious ones but assume since some of these are from pictures of Y-wing models (which were empty originally) they were moved around. Thanks for any help.
astromechs.jpg

Nice collage there. Are you the guy from the Star Wars Astromech Droids site on Angelfire?

BTW, the bottom droid on the left is from the pyro Red 3 on the table of models pic, and the droid third from the left on the bottom is from hero Red 3 from the pic of the top.

jedimaster,
Oh sorry,I didn't read this thread very well.:)

blue 5,

Thanks for posting the screen capture.Fisrt of all,I've noticed that those RED 5s are hero
because,I see the armarture in the opening wings recess on each X-wing.
By the way,I remeber someone said that Scott Alexander mention that the RED 5 was storen.So that the one that could be another RED 5 right?

And Is the X-wing in the middle considered as RED leader?Well,I think it's RED 2.Upward nosecone,spade marking and dirt on the rear of the proton torpedo tube and triangle decall.It's very hard to see them though.

Thanks Lee!

By the way,speaking of R2 unit,I always think that if all of the R2 unit come from the same master.I attached a picture RED 3's R2.They are different R2 painting work aren't they?And I think the right one which might had been installed after the filming looks more like cone shape.

Nice collage there. Are you the guy from the Star Wars Astromech Droids site on Angelfire?

BTW, the bottom droid on the left is from the pyro Red 3 on the table of models pic, and the droid third from the left on the bottom is from hero Red 3 from the pic of the top.

No, great site though and I have contibuted some of the pics (the driods in the models seem to be the one area where that site is lacking).

Yes that is from the red 3 pyro though I don't see it in any other photos so I wonder if it was unpainted in that picture or moved (or is that the only photo of the red 3 pyro?). I know some people have access to better pictures like of red 4 and 12 so I was hoping those might give some insight into the painting of the droids. For instance this pic of red 6 though blurry seems to show the 3 eyed astromech in the collage that was ifrom a Y-wing, but it would be interesting to know if they did actually try to match up the models with set pieces.
red6abx.jpg

This thought just popped into my head about your quote: do droopy wings=pyro? Since, as we know by now, pretty much all those Icons x-wing wings drooped over time, and that's why most resin wings cast now have reinforcement in them. Is this a good way even then of spotting a pyro? The lack of fabricated wings might mean that.

My assumption about that shot was always that it was (from the right, in the picture) Red 5, Red 3, Red 5, Red 3. One of Red 3's distinguishing features is droopy wings, which the second and fourth ships both have. Really don't know for sure, though, and take your point about no matte line being visible.

blue 5,

Thanks for posting the screen capture.Fisrt of all,I've noticed that those RED 5s are hero
because,I see the armarture in the opening wings recess on each X-wing.
By the way,I remeber someone said that Scott Alexander mention that the RED 5 was storen.So that the one that could be another RED 5 right?

And Is the X-wing in the middle considered as RED leader?Well,I think it's RED 2.Upward nosecone,spade marking and dirt on the rear of the proton torpedo tube and triangle decall.It's very hard to see them though.

I agree on Red 5, those two ships look identical to me which would mean they were composited together in the shot. I forgot that the right side of Red 2 is very similar to Red Leader's left side. The right side of Red Leader is similar but has a darker streak on it that stretches over the red side stripe, and the ship in the screen cap does not appear to have that overlap.

I don't know what the original source of the stolen model is, but the comments on earlier threads were about it being a hero model that was stolen. That makes sense with the number of heros being five in the Famous Spaceships article and three of those having motorized wings. Blue Leader/Red 2 was built with non-motorized s-foils and shipped off to UK; Red Leader and Red 5 were built, then Red 3, all with motorized wings; and the fifth model by process of elimination was built at some point with non-motorized wings and then stolen, which may be why there are no pictures of it. Which bird it was is speculation unless pics show up, but if it was stolen after it was assembled then it did not make it on screen.

No, great site though and I have contibuted some of the pics (the driods in the models seem to be the one area where that site is lacking).

Yes that is from the red 3 pyro though I don't see it in any other photos so I wonder if it was unpainted in that picture or moved (or is that the only photo of the red 3 pyro?). I know some people have access to better pictures like of red 4 and 12 so I was hoping those might give some insight into the painting of the droids. For instance this pic of red 6 though blurry seems to show the 3 eyed astromech in the collage that was ifrom a Y-wing, but it would be interesting to know if they did actually try to match up the models with set pieces.

I've always asked the question of whether the pyros had removable droids, but no one has ever answered it? We know the droids in the heros and Y-Wings were removable. And the pictures of the pyro parts after molding show the droid as a separate part. But I have seen a pic of an exploded pyro where the droid appears to be part of the detail panel from the top rear of the X-Wing and not a removable plug. None of the pictures of Red 6 that I have give a clear shot of the droid, it is either fuzzy or appears to be all gray in the pics. The zoom in on Red 6 does look like the three eyed R5-D4 like droid in blue/gray Y-Wing's pics.

Many thanks for the great photos KK1! You've documented all the droids that I've seen so far. The droid in the middle - the Black R2 (with the white upper panels) was installed on Gold Leader - it can be seen in the original film (not special edition) when the ships are first shown flying towards the Deathstar. It was also installed on Red Leader for photography (banned) but not the movie. But I've never seen the picture shown here of the black R2. May I ask you what picture that is from?

As mentioned in this thread, the White R2 with the Red trim on the Y-Wing (Gold 2 - third from upper left) has 3 gray markings in front - that is not a typical R2 marking. That droid was installed on Red 6 also. Perhaps they were trying to make it look like Porkin's White and Red R5-D4 (or -D8 as seen in the live action shots)? even though no one apparently sculpted an R5 at that time. Maybe they were trying to represent the three "eyes" in the front of Porkin's R5. For those not too fluent in droids, R5-D4 was the droid that exploded after Luke selected him - the one with a "bad motivator".

P.S. - Blue 5: it appears that the droids on the pyros were cast as one piece with the droid strip to save time and effort (look at the pictures of the pyro castings made). Also, there are many shots in the movie where the Red Five Hero appears more than once in the same shot. In the scenes in the original ANH when the X-Wings are heading towards the Deathstar, many shots contain Red 5 in several places at once. The hero models were the nicest and most detailed, so they filmed them the most. IMHO I don't believe there was more than one Red 5 model.

Which brings up an interesting point - Pyros had pre-molded droid strips, except Red 3 and 4? We know that Red 4 had a totally different droid (R4-M9), so it did not use a "Pyro Droid Strip?" or it's strip was intentionally modified for the sake of variety? And the gap around the white droid on the Red 3 pyro (bottom left) is very apparent - it looks removable. It appears that there was no rule - each ship really was built differently - even the pyros. Some were not built with all "pyro cast parts".

Last edited:
I think you'll find that all the early Pyro's , that is the ones with the hero/nice paintjobs, had the droid cut in later as per the hero's. The later Pyro's that were built for the newer shots had the droid in place on the strip.

ebpyro1wtmk.jpg

This thought just popped into my head about your quote: do droopy wings=pyro? Since, as we know by now, pretty much all those Icons x-wing wings drooped over time, and that's why most resin wings cast now have reinforcement in them. Is this a good way even then of spotting a pyro? The lack of fabricated wings might mean that.

Unlikely to have been enough time for this to happen, IMO. Also, the available casting material was expanding urethane foam rather than resin as we know it today. That's pretty rigid stuff.

Many thanks for the great photos KK1! You've documented all the droids that I've seen so far. The droid in the middle - the Black R2 (with the white upper panels) was installed on Gold Leader - it can be seen in the original film (not special edition) when the ships are first shown flying towards the Deathstar. It was also installed on Red Leader for photography (banned) but not the movie. But I've never seen the picture shown here of the black R2. May I ask you what picture that is from?

As mentioned in this thread, the White R2 with the Red trim on the Y-Wing (Gold 2 - third from upper left) has 3 gray markings in front - that is not a typical R2 marking. That droid was installed on Red 6 also. Perhaps they were trying to make it look like Porkin's White and Red R5-D4 (or -D8 as seen in the live action shots)? even though no one apparently sculpted an R5 at that time. Maybe they were trying to represent the three "eyes" in the front of Porkin's R5. For those not too fluent in droids, R5-D4 was the droid that exploded after Luke selected him - the one with a "bad motivator".

Here is the pic I got that from, can't really remember where I found this, I think it was some message board with a guy offering pics and had this as a teaser of what he had. Thanks for confirming "R5-D4" on Red 6.

ywingastro.jpg

Here is the pic I got that from, can't really remember where I found this, I think it was some message board with a guy offering pics and had this as a teaser of what he had. Thanks for confirming "R5-D4" on Red 6.

ywingastro.jpg

There are a couple details I'm not sure on, but the paint patterns seem to be a match with TIE Killer Y-Wing. I wonder where and when this pic was taken. It certainly matches up with the shot of TIE Killer approaching the Death Star with the same droid in it. Of course this is an X-Wing thread, so we are off topic...DOHHH!

Here is my own speculation of how the astromechs in the models could possibly fit with the on set droids

The full size red R2 dome is the one that was behind Dennis Lawson as Wedge, but the scale size red R2 plug was actually on the hero Red Leader in both the scenes in the trench run from the film and a behind the scenes pic.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back