Pics Intensive Alert: Build & Finish Pics of Nice-N Hero TIE

imaginager

Sr Member
Jamie, here ya go! Buildup from fall/winter 2006. (Sorry, I'm not much of a photographer...)

Build:

I scratched the cockpit insert, as it was too much fun to pass by...

comp.jpg

insert.jpg

mag.jpg

mag2.jpg

cannon_fin.jpg

finshrouds.jpg

cannon.jpg

brass.jpg

pylonmag.jpg

wingmag.jpg

aftlit.jpg

epoxy2.jpg

next.jpg

wingconst.jpg

canopy.jpg

pilot.jpg

pilotlit.jpg

Finished:

aft.jpg

tie1.jpg

tie2.jpg

tie3.jpg

tie4.jpg

tie5.jpg

tie6.jpg

tie7.jpg

tie8.jpg

tie9.jpg

tie10.jpg

tie11.jpg

tie12.jpg

tie13.jpg

tie14.jpg

Found a few more...

wing.jpg

wings.jpg

tie20.jpg

tie21.jpg

tie22.jpg

tie23.jpg

tie24.jpg

tie25.jpg

Last edited:
Just a friendly bump out of sheer respect for this build and its builder, still one of my faves, always will be....ya big ham Allan :lol

lee

Now that's lovely. Top work sir. Can't wait to get my hands on one of these when Steve has caught up with things.

Thanks for the bump Lee, had missed these pics.

Allan that is, to quote REL above, the best TIE build I have seen to date.

Man that is amazing work

greg

5mm orange... let me know if you find em... have not been made in many many years.. I think some have said they use the yellow LEDs with a opauqe red over the top creating a orange color. Also to make the shape on the LED, secure the wire end into a handheld drill or drill press turn on use a file to anglel the tip, then flatten the tip. Bingo TIE gun tips

No doubt about it this is a premiere TIE build up. I'm like others here.. this one is the sole reasons I remade the wing stars, and upgraded many details on the kit.

Excellent Steve! I'm looking forward to seeing more of these.

Jamie, like Steve said, 5.0 mm orange. Mine are red, which is wrong. But, it seems to work better with ESB livery, IMO. :$

As far as locating orange, they're still out there. I have a pair I'm saving.

EDIT:
ps. thanks for all the comments, guys (shucks)...

I've only been able to find the orange 5mm LEDs at Christmas. Look for LED Christmas tree light sets, they almost always have orange. Not a good approach if you need them in quantity, unfortunately.

I remember the build-up. Probably the best TIE-Fighter ever built. Better than the ILM's ones ! It was very inspiring for me, unfortunatly dont have the skill nor the patience to cut and glue the Koolshade.

Great anyway Allan ! Would like to see it in person !

Wow, decorative tree light LEDs, what a superb Idea. I'm gonna go to my SD thread and mention that there. The white lights would come in quite handy for the SD build. I'm gonna give you the credit Imagineer.

Dave :)

Guess i should be more clear... the NEW orange LED when sanded/filed turn a white color. Ive tried to buff it out but am unable to get the correct color back. Maybe the plastic is different I'm speaking of 1975-77 runs of orange LEDs. I have not bought from this supplier yet I'll pic some up and see if they work.

I just puchaced the auction... its says 100 so if they work I'll offer them free to those who got a hero and standard kit that want to build the hero more accurate guns. Thanks G I hope these work.

Steve

Last edited:
It would be hit and miss, but what if you tried ever-so-slightly MELTING the LED after the sanding/filing? All the microscopic rough edges melting back into each other, restoring a smooth surface.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back