Screen-used VX Sphere - restore or not?

Congrats on the pickup Rob! I know that's a real favorite of yours.

I'd say leave it unfilled... I think it will display very nicely as-is and that filling it with something might lead to complications in the future (potential leaks, "black globs", etc.).

congrats again!
Tom

Re: To restore, or not to restore...

while it is yours, IMHO that if you refill it, it would be like the person who had a ANH trooper helmet and sanded most of the paint off. I say keep it as is, and put a replica filled and the actual prop empty.

Re: To restore, or not to restore...

I would NOT refinish it, but instead display it next to a replica piece.

Something where you can see the "hero" piece and have it labeled as such, and a "Stunt" replica version next to it.

Original movie props, I think, should be kept in that condition. Some things are a little harder to display (old latex masks, rubber appliances, etc) since they don't hold up well, but this would be something you can replicate fairly easy and I have enough faith in you to know the display would look pretty cool :)

One thing that may keep me from re-filling it is that there is a large, harden black glob of the original aloe vera inside the sphere. I got the same hardened stuff with some of my older replicase.

To have this black blob suspended in the new gel may look bad...

that was going to be my question

does the old gel disolve into the new gel, or do you have floaties...

if it leaves floaties, I'd leave the real one as is, and clean and fill the replicas

What is a VX-Sphere?
In the movie "The Rock" they had missiles with a biological weapon contained inside a sphere. This is one of the spheres.

vxnervegas.jpg

Consensus is to go with a duo-display, original/replica, and I agree - that'd be best.

Here's some of the reps I've made in the past. Interestingly, the original is slightly bigger than mine...

VX0155.jpg

VX01556.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Tough choice. On one hand, you want to "Stand down!" and not mess with it. On the other hand, you "can not give that order!" Intense. :lol

One vote for leave it as is here. Sounds like the new aloe you put in will just evaporate in another 3-10 years, and then you will have even more (and non original) crud in the ball. At the very least, leave it for now and think about it for a month or two.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back