Casting hollow resin props??

low_profile

Hey all. I don't know if this issue has been addressed here somewhere else in the forums, but I couldn't find it. I'm making several prop guns and I would like to be able to add lights/electronics to them. The problem is that all the casting techniques I know basically leave you with a solid piece. Does anyone know how to cast a shell basically, using resin? I know that if I had fiberglas, I could get the cloth to stay vertically up the mold's walls, but resin's runny and would be thin at the top of the mold and pool up at the bottom. Any ideas? Maybe pouring the resin on a horizontal surface, letting it cure, rotating the mold and pouring horizontal again? Any help would be appreciated, since I know more about electronics than prop building and would love to pack some guns full of LEDs
icon_razz.gif

You could rotate the mold while it's curing...if it's small enough to do it by hand. Or you could make a cast of it, actually you'll need two then cut them apart where you need to and make a pocket inside, then recast those pieces after you get them to fit together correctly. Then you'd have a mold of the seperate parts with a pocket that holds your electronics, etc. What are you making?

Raygun

right now I'm making a Phantasy Star Online handgun, so I need a place for batteries and the electronics for the LEDs. I'm probably going to pour and rotate the resin, since I only need to make one of these.

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back