Puckmarin from Flight of the Navigator - Finished Pg2

Howlrunner

Sr Member
Ran out of kits to paint up, so I finally got round to breaking out the clay again. Been meaning to try to sculpt this little guy for quiet a while now, but have never gotten round to it.

It's roughly 1:1.

DSCF5190.jpg
DSCF5191.jpg

Still a lot of work to go - aside from the body and limbs, I've still got to smooth things out and add detail and texture. Unfortunately the DVD screencaps I'm working from are rather fuzzy, so some details are not quite ironed out yet. Wish I was as good as some of the super talented folks on here, but I at least feel it's becoming recognisable.

If anyone has any good reference pics, please post 'em. :)

Last edited:
Re: Can you guess what it is yet?

Is it the little alien found in the spaceship from 'Flight of the Navigator'??

Do i win a prize?

Re: Can you guess what it is yet?

Well done G17RDY! It is indeed (supposed to be at least! :lol) the Puckmarin from Flight of the Navigator. I have to say that I definately kept seeing the Luck Dragon in there though and it does look a lot like Crusoe. Oh well, can't be that bad if at least someone recognised it! :lol

Can't find any pics online, so here's the clip (from 1:15 onwards):
http://www.youtube.com/v/Z7YU59jIacw&hl=en&fs=1

Last edited:
Re: WIP Puckmarin from Flight of the Navigator

Decided that the eyes were too recessed into the head, so I moved them up and forward more, resculpting the whole top of the head. Think the eye placement is much more accurate now but the back of the head needs to come higher.

DSCF5192.jpg
DSCF5194.jpg

Still in need of good quality screencaps or photos to work from though. This is the only good quality pic I've found:

138080xl.jpg

Decided I STILL didn't like the eye placement, so dug them out, moved them forward and more embedded, flattened and broadened the snout, moved the ears forward, added arms and detailing. Much happier with the little guy now.

Puckmerrin4.jpg

Puckmerrin5.jpg

Puckmerrin6.jpg

Next step is to bake the Sculpey and PRAY that the plastic eyes don't melt (shouldn't do) or turn cloudy (very likely). :confused

Awwwww, look at that little guy! Nice job, man. :)

Decided I STILL didn't like the eye placement, so dug them out, moved them forward and more embedded, flattened and broadened the snout, moved the ears forward, added arms and detailing. Much happier with the little guy now.

Puckmerrin4.jpg

Puckmerrin5.jpg

Puckmerrin6.jpg

Next step is to bake the Sculpey and PRAY that the plastic eyes don't melt (shouldn't do) or turn cloudy (very likely). :confused

Hey, if you're worried about that stuff happening, why don't ya try putting him in a pot of boiling water for a few minutes to cure him. Less chance of the eyes getting ruined!

Well, managed to get the sculpy to bake without melting the eyes (halved the temperature and doubled the time), so that's good. Both arms broke off though, which is not so good. Still, got them repaired easily enough, then sculpted his foot and baked that. Overcooked it, so it's gone a bit brown :confused:lol. Attached that and blended with the body with Milliput. So here he is ready for paint. :)

Puckmerrin7.jpg
Puckmerrin8.jpg

After months of being too busy with work, I *finally* got round to painting up the little guy. Apologies for the picture quality - it's pouring outside, so flash photography will have to do just now.

So this is as finished as I think he's gonna get. I think he should possibly have some fur around his head, but I can't tell properly from the quality of the reference material I'm working with. As you can see from the screencap below, the R2 DVD of "Flight of the Navigator" has a terrible picture transfer quality. If anyone has better pics, please share them so I can see where to put fur - if indeed he should have some. :)

Screencap compared to my replica:

Puck1.jpg
Puckmerrin9.jpg

Puckmerrin10.jpg
Puckmerrin11.jpg

He even hangs upside down. :lol

Puckmerrin12.jpg

Last edited:
I saw Flight of the Navigator MANY times in the theaters when I was young and I remember there being fur around his neck and on the back of his head. I think he had a bit of a beard too. Don't know about the rest of the body though.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back