How do I glue foam to foam and foam to plastic?

Sulla

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The title says it all. What adhesive do I use to glue open cell foam to open cell foam, and open cell foam to plastic?

Always test the adhesives on a sample before using and if you are gluing foam into the Trek case you recently showed you will want to leave the case open after gluing the foam in to allow the adhesive to outgas and cure for several days as the fumes could have some negative effect on the case materials.

Well, I've tried some spray adhesives before and didn't car for them. They stuck for awhile and then fell off. I actually found (I know this may sound barbaric) that hot glue worked very well for me... as long as you are not planning on preserving the part you putting the glue on as it will melt the foam.

Yeah, haven't had a lot off luck with 77. Foam to foam, or plastic to plastic, or wod foor that matter.

And it is for that case. I cut out the insides on half the case tonight and will tackle the other half this week. I am waiting for my foam to arrive. Though I have some leftovers from another project that I am experimenting with.

I am afraid to use hot glue. I don't want it to affect the painted outside of the case.

As long as the foam-to-foam contact doesn't have to be flexible (or not too flexible), believe it or not good old Elmer's white glue will work. Properly applied, the foam will fracture or tear before it will come unglued.

Yeah, try contact cement (make sure it's foam compatible). Coat each side and let it dry and get tacky, then stick them together.

FB

contact cement is the best bet. i had a radio controlled airplane called the aircore 40 and it was held together with nothin more than CC. strong stuff.

I've glued convoluted foam/eggcrate foam to the inside of my gun, telescope, and costume cases using 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. Kinda messy, but it works great, and won't let go! YOU HAVE TO DOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS ON THE CAN. If you don't, it won't work correctly. The foam has been stuck in some of my cases since 1999! :D:thumbsup

I even glued the foam baffles inside my 1000W home theater subwoofer enclosure (to cut out standing waves) using the Super 77. If it can stand up to that kind of abuse... :)

God, my last month all seems to revolve around working with foam!
You really only need 1 product...it can be found at Ace Hardware or other places. It's called Barge Cement. It's a rubber cement that works well with foam + any other material.

Got this tip from a professional mascot costumer who's been manipulating foam for 25 years.

Awesome! Everyone has been VERY helpful, thank you all!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've glued styrene to foam insulation in large peices with Liquid Nails and it's lasted now for over a year of heavy use on a costume.

Another vote for contact cement. It's what's used to build muppets.

Edit: just realized that this thread was resurrected from 6 years ago. Sorry.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back