1:1 DARTH MAUL BUST (GINO - Cyberman Project) !!!!

Re: DARTH MAUL (Head Sculpt) Revealed!!!!

Wonderful job Phil! How do you accomplish your skin texture- pore, tiny wrinkles, etc.?

I actually created some special tools using acupuncture needles that were shaped into a mini loop tool and a point tool for very very fine wrinkles ;)

That is some insanely stallar work, the texture is unbelievable...
brings me back to a time that I saw TPM in the theater far too many times, just to watch Darth Maul onscreen again. It captures Maul perfectly.

I'm late to the party here Phil but...DAMN!!!
That is nothing short of perfection. The skin texture is the most realistic I've seen on a bust. Great, GREAT work!
If only I was into Episode 1 and Maul!
Can't wait to see an original trilogy character!

Cheers,

Chris

Based on your recent work, Steve, I can't wait to see what you can do with this:eek

Phil

Thanks Phil! I've never painted up a Maul before. Sounds like a challenge! :) I keep checking this thread, the detail,pores, just perfect.

I'm late to the party here Phil but...DAMN!!!
That is nothing short of perfection. The skin texture is the most realistic I've seen on a bust. Great, GREAT work!
If only I was into Episode 1 and Maul!
Can't wait to see an original trilogy character!

Cheers,

Chris

Stay tuned my friend stay tuned ;)

Phil

WOW! dude, I think this has just raised the bar HUGE on future Darth Maul busts....the likeness skin texture is perfect!

It doesn't look like a sculpt, it looks like a lifecast.
And that say volumes my friend.
Very nice work. Theres really nothing to give it away as a sculpt. I mean it looks like a facecast. I've done enough facecasts to know. By far 1 of the BEST sculpts i've ever seen. And i have had the pleasure of seeing some amazing works. Although there are some good sculptors here,i'm talking more like some of world known artists. You really have the gift.
Please let me know if you do a run of these. It would be an honor to own one. From one sculptor to another.

It doesn't look like a sculpt, it looks like a lifecast.
And that say volumes my friend.
Very nice work. Theres really nothing to give it away as a sculpt. I mean it looks like a facecast. I've done enough facecasts to know. By far 1 of the BEST sculpts i've ever seen. And i have had the pleasure of seeing some amazing works. Although there are some good sculptors here,i'm talking more like some of world known artists. You really have the gift.
Please let me know if you do a run of these. It would be an honor to own one. From one sculptor to another.

Yiks thats a compliment and a half!!! If I can hold a light to GREAT GREAT Tsuji I'd die a happy man!!

Phil:redface

This is nothing short of phenomenal.
To reiterate what has previously been said, the skin texture is fantastic and the likeness is amazing.

It's hard to believe that it's been almost 2 years since Phil and I started this project. Although let me clarify that it's not been a solid 2 years of continual work. There were many, many months were the sculpt was left idle due to work schedules, other projects, etc..

This sculpt was born out of my desire to have a super realistic head for my full size display made from an original costume, and Phil's desire to break into human likeness. He sure made quite the splash wouldn't you say? :love

Bravo Phil. :thumbsup

Our first collaboration was the ESB yoda puppet which most of you are all familiar with. As a team, Phil does the sculpting while I provide art direction, critique, and edits.
It's been a pleasure to collaborate the way we do. Critique flows freely and it's NEVER finished until it's just right. Even at the time of these pics, there are a few minor things that still need tweaked. But that's the beauty of the way we've worked. No rush. Get it right. It will be done when it's done.

And this one is about done. I absolutely can't wait to put it on my full size display and paint him up. First the mold will have to be made and then an initial casting in which the horns will be sculpted and cast separately.
Then of course, some quality eyes will need to be made. The bust will be cast in a flesh tone resin so that we can accurately reflect the translucency of the makeup.

I hope this will be the (second) of many busts we get to work together on. Phil is the most talented, patient, and receptive sculptor I've ever had the pleasure to work with.

In fact, we've already begun our next project. Someone from the OT. Someone sinister. Someone in time you will learn to call.....master.

Here are a couple of photoshop tests we did awhile back just to get a feel for what he might look like all painted up and on the display.
Over the course of the next couple days, I'll post some more photos of this fantastic sculpt.
Phil, you rock my world.

0760532.jpeg

1287471.jpeg

6648587.jpeg

Last edited:

THANKS GINO, I couldn't have done this without you!!!

I'd also like to add that I have really used this whole exercise to teach myself the art of Lifesized human bust sculpture. I've learned a few technics here and a few there... namely Neill Gorton of MFX and my idiol Tsuji. I hope to honour their works in years to come!

Phil

PS.. Good night and see you all in 4 days time ;)

That is wonderful work.
i have only recently been interested in Darth Maul
(My Uncle is a huge fan , so I started looking for stuff for him)

When I met ray a few months back, I noticed his big nose & thin lips
It wasn't so obvious to me in the film.
I think you have done quite well.
However, it seems as if all the features are stretched vertically
and the underside of the nose seems too bulbous

(That's just my opinion)

The likeness is DEAD on and the skin texture is unbelievable!!!! I can't ever get over the incredible talent that's on this board!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back