The 2 Obi ANH sabers - which is onscreen, when?

Serafino

Sr Member
So there were two Obi ANH sabers that we know of. Franz Bolo brought up the question of whether we have any idea which was seen on screen in the movie. Good question!

To review, here's a version of the 'Chronicles' transistor-side pic:

http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/2224/obigfcomposite5yp.jpg

...and here's the Tunisia shot of the other saber:

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/6218/obinewscanbh3.jpg

The upper stem is slightly larger diameter, and the transistors are off-axis in the opposite way from the 'Chronicles' saber.

Here's a mix of screen caps with a few lower-resolution Tunisia production shots. Ignore the stunt version with the blade:

http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/5697/obicaps15lc.jpg

Here's a screen cap showing what I think is the Chronicles saber in footage taken during the Cantina sequence, but its from the documentary and I don't think anything that clear is seen in the movie. Ignore the other caps from the 'flipped' version of the corridor scene.

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/9494/obicaps2px7.jpg

If anyone can do HD caps of these scenes for us finally that would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Re: The Two Obi ANH sabers--which one is onscreen when?

While looking at this screen cap:
TheDuel_0082-vi.png

I noticed there was only one washer on the back transistor. I'm wondering if the saber was either re-built between Tunisia and the UK studio, or a second was made using some of the original parts and some new parts.

TheDuel_crop-vi.jpg

I tend to lean towards it being the same saber rebuilt after Tunisia.
The methods of construction are very different - possibly to make the whole thing more secure. If there were two I would expect them to be constructed the same.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were two sabers. I just don't think there's strong enough evidence.

I never really looked but this version is missing the Transistor and you can see the empty graflex square hole.

The grenade looks like the Tunisia one and seems beat up.

hole.jpg

FB

JK1138--so that's evidence that the cloak saber is the Chronicles saber, does the booster-side transister seem slightly angled downwards to you?

lonepigeon--A different grenade seems strong enough additional evidence to me, also as I recall there are some anomalies on the booster, now what were those...

Also, haven't we always thought it strange that they would have only one hero prop for the whole production. Even in a 'low budget' product in the '70s surely that's a bit odd?

FB: Are you sure the footage is not mirrored? Many shots in ANH were mirrored so that it wouldn't be apparent that the sets were reused from other shots. And then he is holding the saber in his left hand, and there is what looks like a lever on the clamp in this pic.

Damn! Yeah, I caught that after I looked at it some more. The grenade looks like the Tunisia one though.

FB

I'm with Andres that there are two hero sabers, one primarily used in the Tunisia shoots and one primarily used in the UK shoots. The Tunisia is the two transistor washers version and the UK version is the Chronicles pic.

I just can't believe that there was only one hero prop built and that it was taken all the way around the world, specifically since so much of what we see in the Tunisia shoot differs from the UK shoot. Different Trooper armor, different, trooper blasters, different Luke ANH saber (a point to be argued somewhere else).

If there were two Vader sabers built for shooting, and all of Vader's scene's were shot in the UK, it just doesn't make sense to me that there would be one OWK saber, which differs in almost every way possible from the Chronicles version--different grenade stem, different frag body, different clamp, different transidtor washers, different booster shape, and differently arranged AS handwheel--when that prop had to travel half way around the world. I just don't think that any production company would take the risk of a foreign shoot being held up because a prop went missing, they would bring at least one or two backups.

my .02

Dan

FB I think you have a valid point, although they're not images to draw strong conclusions from, if anything the 'death star corridor' saber looks like the Tunisia version.

There used to be a low-res image floating around of Obi on the MF in which the saber looked rather lighter and browner in color--the Chronicles version?

Well the two saber theories certainly make sense. Someone listed the logic in another thread (can't remember who or which one so I apologize) but aren't there eight balance pipes in each engine? (And we know they had a whole engine.)

We have photo evidence of two different grenades. There are two sink knobs (hot and cold). They clearly had a bunch of Graflex'. I believe the machine gun the booster came off of was a dual barrel gun so, naturally there would be two boosters.

Assuming all that is true (which is a pretty fair assumption) it just wouldn't make sense to NOT make a second saber, especially since they had all the parts.

Every time I look at the top ring on the Tunisia Saber I swear the cut-grooves look like they go all the way into the top ring. (similar to the #20 Mk2 grenade)

Also, the windvane looks like it's screwed down much further on the neck then the Chronicles grenade, but in it's natural resting spot.

Almost like they are 2 different grenades......

Maybe the chronicles saber was the 'stunt' Hero, you know, the one they drop on the floor over and over.

Last edited:

I think it is possible that the frag body on the Tunisia saber has to no. 3 mk II style grooves, but unfortunately it is impossible to be certain with this pic. It could very well just have one gouge in the place we're seeing. We can't really make out a.lot of detail here on the frag body because of shadow.

Dan

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back