WW2 Painting

101radioman

OK this is a long shot here.

I am putting here in modeling section seem the best for it.

I need some help here.

I have 4 WW2 radios, One is the BC-1000 "portable" backpack radio, Three are the BC-611 Handy Talkies that make 80's cell phones look small. hehe.

I have restored then and now heres the problem.
How do I find the paint to give it that crinkle finish they had.
or
Is there a way simulate it that would work.

I know it's a shot in the dark even the WW2 reenactor and vehicle restoration boards have come out with zilch.

Thank

I know Rustoleum makes several types of "effects" paints. I think crinkle finish is one of them.
Maybe a coat of that and then spray your finish color over it?

I know of an italian or french brand of water based paint for scaled modelling. The name is "vajoroe" (spelling is incorrect) but very close, maybe someone here who is still doing scale modelling provide the correct spelling.

Under this brand, there is a clear liquid to be applied to the base paint to crinkle the base paint.

Have you got a pic of the finish? The handie talkies I've seen look pretty smooth but if it's anything like the rough helmet finishes they were cork granules mixed into the paint.

I used to repaint the crinkle finish on Trans Am steering wheels.
It was an automotive paint in a can that you sprayed on as evenly as possible
and then baked in the oven at 150 to 200 degrees (I can't remember which).

Real nice results and a true crinkle finish.
I'm assuming you could then very lightly spray the OD or green that you needed over that.

Mike

Not the best photos but here are some.
BC-611new.gif

BC-611A.jpg

bc-1000.jpg

I think what you're actually looking for is Signal Corps Green wrinkle paint - wrinkle is apparently different than crinkle and is what the military used.

From a quick google search, it doesn't look like the stuff is made anymore. But a more in-depth search might yield you some better results.

-Fred

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back