In Progress: Obi-Wan Kenobi Clone Wars

defyitall

Sr Member
Intro

I've shown off my Obi-Wan costumes before. I have all of them except Episode I. So when the info started coming out about the new animated series I knew I had to do this look. Once I found out there would be a theatrical opening it was a done deal. I decided to get it done before San Diego Comicon so I had a chance to show it off in front of some crowds, get some feedback, but also do a field test and have time afterward sot tweak things before the premiere on August 15th.

OWK_CW_3D_lighten.jpg

Looking at screengrabs from the behind the scenes video and any and all release promo photos I began to try and dissect the new look. It's very similar to the design of the Microseries Volume 2 design. I had previously done this look so I knew there would be some crossover. It's a simple look overall. I would need a new tunic set and probably need to tweak, modify, or make new armor due to the level of stylization seen in this show. Luckily I can already use my current OWK belt and my Caboots clone boots.

Dissection:

Tunic:

Basically a simple surcoat/vest. It is sleeveless with a deep V in front reaching to the waist. The arm holes have V's that also reach to the waist. The tunic extends down to the knees and is split in front in a V. There is a single "tabbard" that extends from the waist down past the knees in front. I like calling this piece the "unitabbard." It flares out at the bottom due to stylization in the design. There's a very small "obi" sash directly under the belt in dark, dark brown. Not sure the point of this from a design perspective. My guess, as a CG Artist, is that it serves some purpose in the CG model or the cloth sim. Either way, it is also seen on Anakin's costume in the same color; even though Obi and Ani have very different color schemes.

Undersuit:

The best news ever was that this new design uses a straight black undersuit just like the clones. The Microseries Volume 2 design used a brown undersuit that was very hard to find or buy. Making it black in this show makes it very easy. I already have some black tights.

Belt and Pouches:

The belt is a stylized version of Obi-Wan's prequel belt. The pouches are a stylized version of the leather pouches Obi and Ani carry in Episode III. These are more boxy and simplified. Lacking the score detailing seen on the Ep III pouches.

Armor:

Most of Obi-Wan's armor is stylized clone armor just like the Microseries. The shins, forearms, elbows, biceps, and shoulders all have a direct design link to the CG clone armor seen in Episode III. For my Microseries Volume 2 costume I used MG clone armor. This time around I decided to stylize it as much as I could. The chest armor is new. Based around a Vader esthetic like Anakin's Microseries chest armor. Obi-Wan's is white with a mock turtleneck collar. His left shoulder piece has a Jedi symbol in red. All the armor is weathered unlike the Microseries.

Last edited by a moderator:
6-8-08

Fabric:

I decided to use the same fabric used on my Volume 2 tunic. Just a standard natural Osnaburg Cotton.

Osnaburg.jpg

It it pretty cheap and easy to use and actually matches the color and texture of the CG painted cloth pretty well.

Patterns:

I decided to go with a standard pattern for the tunics and alter it accordingly. I purchased McCall's 3658 pattern. It's a costume knight pattern with a standard sleeveless surcoat that extends past the knees as the "A" design. I can sew up the sides and split the front and alter to get the CW look. I traced the pattern onto some heavier weight brown craft paper for durability.

Tunic_patterns.jpg

For the obi I made my own pattern:

Obi_pattern.jpg

I wanted it sightly larger than 2.25" belt so I went with 3" plus seam allowance. I added 6" of overlap for velcro to the length.

I decided to add the flare to the unitabbard. So I went with a 5" top width and a 7" bottom width and created a nice curve between the two. It dips in slightly in the first third of the tabbard. After I got the drawing done I traced that onto another piece of craft paper and added the seam allowances.

Tabbard_patterns.jpg

Construction:

I have never sewn before so I really suck right now with the sewing machine. So I started with the simple obi and I messed up quite a bit. It did two versions that I would have to call prototypes right now. Neither is up to my standards. The second is slightly better than the first. So I decided to finish construction and add velcro to make sure that design worked and looked okay under the belt.

Obis.jpg

The second version is the one on top. I cut the fabric on the bias for that one; just like the Episode 3 obis. I didn't think ahead and had to sew the velcro through both sides at the end. It looks crappy and I'll have to make sure to attach the velcro before I sew the two side together on the final version. The velcro strip in the middle is where the unitabbard will attach.

Tabbard_attachment.jpg

The tabbard actually went way better than I would have thought. I guess I am better at sewing curves than straight lines. I was able to finish this one up and add the velcro and I am quite pleased with it. I think I can call it final.

Tabbard.jpg

It put them all together with my belt and it looks pretty good:

Together.jpg

I think I want to make the next version of the obi slightly wider. Maybe 3.5" Just to get a little more wiggle room around the belt. I'll be working more on the obi this week so I get more time with the sewing machine before I tackle constructing the first version of the tunics.

Give me time. I'll pull an all-nighter in July and sew my hand to my face or something.

Probably glue my hand to my face while working on armor.

Would be neat to somehow chisel a beard and hairpiece out of wood, or sculpt it out of plastic for that stylized look.

Ha. Yeah, that would be taking the stylized look to the next level. I'm trying to get a good balance. I went completely real world with my Volume 2 costume. Figured I would try a little stylization with this one. I'm actually thinking about using Big Gulp cups to do the forearm armor just to get that cylindrical look.

Oh man, you didn't see how sore and prickled my fingers were last Comic Con from staying up all the nights trying to finish hand-sewing that damn dress...

You know, the big gulp thing is actually not a bad idea...

Looks great! I've had the pleasure of trooping with you a couple of times and I must say I really enjoyed the quality of your costumes..can't wait to see it in person at comic - con!

6-9-08

I was surprised with a package at work. It was from my friend in NorCal. He made a small run of Clone Wars leather pouches. They are based directly off the stylized design from the show. They look similar to Anakin's leather pouch from Episode III but are more boxy and lack the scoring details. I was floored at how nice they are and how well the color matches.

Pouches.jpg

Another surprise was that he made them functional. I was just expecting leather boxes. Just to get the job done; visually. But they open and close with snaps. This will be really nice since i am wearing tights and won't have any pockets. I can fit money and ID in one and hope the other will fit a 3G iPhone.

Here's some shot with them mounted on my the.rebel.agent belt:

On_belt.jpg

And some bad mirror shots with it all on:

Mirror.jpg

Mirror_flash.jpg

6-10-08

I laid out the pattern for my second attempt at the obi sash tonight. I went with a 4" total width. 1/4" or so seam allowances will give me a 3.5" finished width. Adding a half inch to my last attempt's 3" width. I laid out the locations for the velcro first so I could attach that before final construction.

Layout.jpg

All went well cutting it out so I decided to attach the velcro tonight. I used iron-on velcro this time. I am a big fan of this stuff. Since velcro is hard enough to hold in the right place when sewing and I am nervous about getting straight lines. It was a big help but the sewing in general went a lot smoother this time. I think I am starting to get more comfortable with the machine.

Velcro.jpg

Normally I would get excited and jump into final construction but I am resisting that urge since it's getting late and I need to eat dinner. So, I called it a day a little like Norm Abrams.

Looking fantastic so far. Are you planning on doing anything to hang the saber from your belt? I dont see any hooks or covertec knobs on the belt or saber in the promo photos.

Of course, I guess you'll have to make some licenses for reality.

I love the idea of a craft foam beard, though. Natural good looks aside, this is a hilarious and awesome idea.

These costumes are pretty simple and I am trying to keep the simplicity as much as I can. So, I am leaving off the Covertec. I carry an FX most of the time at events so I never really hook it to my belt anyway.

Eventually I would like to do a simplistic belt without studs or back closure and the sytlized buckle like in the show. A friend did an Anakin one and hid the closure under one of the pouches. Maybe I'll tackle that between Comicon and the Premiere. I think I have all the leather. Just need some more dye.

I screwed up another obi last night. I'm pretty pissed about it. The two pieces of fabric I cut were of varying widths and length, probably due to fabric stretch. It made it very hard for me to keep the sew lines straight and it came out looking very wonky. I have been cutting these on a bias for some visual interest but that uses up a lot of fabric. So I will adandon that and cut the next one on the fold so the edges match and I only have to sew two sides.

But for now I need to move on to the tunic. It's mre important. i can dick around with the obi later. I have a passable one done that I could use if I run out of time.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back