The Definitive Golden Idols of Raiders *UPDATED 5-23-08*

Jedifyfe

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I just wanted to put together all the idols ever made and versions there of. Anyone with other idols feel free to e-mail their pics to me at jedifyfe@hotmail.com

Here is what I have right now.
IdolArchivePics.jpg

Last edited:
Re: The Definitive Golden Idols of Raiders

Thanks for posting that, Fyfe.

HH,
That Icons prototypel is a weird one. It has all the correct facial features but still has that headband. Did you recently purchase that? If not, then I know of two Icons idols out there. The other is in Canada.

Just for kicks, here's some comparrison pix of the Gobler to an MK and a Magnoli. I hope Minnesota Jones doesn't mind me borrowing his pics.

Gobler on left, MK on the right. Gobler is vaccu-plated, the MK, 24kt gold plated.
Idol-2.JPG

Idol-5.JPG

Idol-6.JPG

Gobler on left, Magnoli on right.
1336136697_35169472eb.jpg

1336137247_31e0ccb5a0.jpg

Noticve the differences in height and in the sculpts, specifically the eyes, nose, mouth, lips and overall shape of the head. For years (no offense to magnoli or MK) I thought that the gold plated idols were the bees knees, but when you compare them to the Gobler, you can easily see which is the more correct version. Even the angle in which they stand is different and again, the Gobler is at the right angle. Don't get me wrong, the MK and Magnoli are fantastic idols and there aren't many who wouldn't be satisfied with them. But to the die-hards, give me the best! Give me a Gobler!

Last edited:

I used to have a Jones F/X idol. Not sure how many here had one, but at the time it was one of the few that were plated/vacu-metalized. Unfortunately this is the only pic I have of the one I used to own.

fertilityidol3.jpg

Cool comparisons, Fyfe!

On the blufive idol, you may want to note that as the V.1. Doug just released a V.2 with some resculpted areas. I hope to be getting one soon and when I "gold it up" I'll post some more pics.

-Fred

LOL! Thats how the ReelArt Idol SHOULD look when you get it. Unfortunately, I've seen and heard that is just not the case.

I just wanted to put together all the idols ever made and versions there of. Anyone with other idols feel free to e-mail their pics to me at jedifyfe@hotmail.com

Here is what I have right now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/jedifyfe/IdolArchivePics.jpg

Awesome stuff Brad! Great idea. My plated idol is from AIM from way back when. While specificly from AIM, I'm not sure if the mold was unique or not. Pics later I''m afraid...

That's a great finish, GG. Is that Krylon gold leaf straight over primer or is there other prep work? I wonder if putting it over a gloss black would add depth and reflectivity?

-Fred

That's a great finish, GG. Is that Krylon gold leaf straight over primer or is there other prep work? I wonder if putting it over a gloss black would add depth and reflectivity?

-Fred

Yes! It is the krylon gold leaf over primer. I think the next time i touch it up I am going to use black primer. As for prep work there is a lot of bondo spot putty on there and a lot of sanding a lot of clean up. But I only paid $30 for it so win win for me. That pic is without the flash here is one with a flash.

idolflash.jpg

I know nothing about these idols really but i keep seeing this reelart one getting rubbished because the finish but to me $30 or $40 seems like an ok price for even a completely unfinished prop anyway.
The sculpt doesn't look all that bad to me but im no expert as i say.

Thanks everyone. I will update the list with the Icons, Blu-Five V2, Reelart and a couple of others like the Brass Ebay version and self sculpted. The pic that I uploaded is a lot larger than what is posted. I think because of photobuckets limitations it shrinks that pic. Anyone want to host the full size version of this? E-mail me.

Also I want to work up a detailed description for each idol (all that we kow about each so far). I think this will help everyone understand the subtle differences of each idol.

Thanks again,
Brad

Yes! It is the krylon gold leaf over primer. I think the next time i touch it up I am going to use black primer. As for prep work there is a lot of bondo spot putty on there and a lot of sanding a lot of clean up. But I only paid $30 for it so win win for me. That pic is without the flash here is one with a flash.

idolflash.jpg

That sure is purty :cool. I may give Michael's a looky-loo to see if they have the gold leaf spray and use krylon gloss black enamel as a primer.

We'll see what that produces :love.

-Fred

In photobucket you can change the setting that shrinks pics...

While the finish on that idol is fantastic, it's my opinion that the idol itself sucks, even after a solid clean-up. There are however, many who aren't so worried about getting a completely screen accurate idol so I understand that for that group this may be a good option.

Here's a lousy pic of a magnoli idol that was gold leafed first, then plated over. Makes for an interesting and believable texture.

newidol2.jpg

Droidboy sold castings 8 or 9 years ago:
DSCN1810_sm.jpg

I had to do a LOT of cleanup: bubbles, boogers, seamlines, some from previous generations. That's just gold spraypaint on it.

More pics here:
http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/Treadwell_Jay/misc/idol/

That's the same one on the right, with a plated one from Immaculate Conceptions on the left:
DSCN1849-1.jpg

I don't know the source for the IC one, nor am I sure of the plating method. Note the Droidboy is a little bigger.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back