The Definitive Golden Idols of Raiders *UPDATED 5-23-08*

It might be that he bought a Gobler and resculpted the mouth to be more frowny.

BTW: I gave you your first Rep Point. :thumbsup

I would almost bet that this is one of the standard frowning stunt idols that has had the mouth reshaped and pupils added. The rest of the idol just jumps out as being from that lineage and not the Gobler one.

My two cents,
Magnoli

I would almost bet that this is one of the standard frowning stunt idols that has had the mouth reshaped and pupils added. The rest of the idol just jumps out as being from that lineage and not the Gobler one.

My two cents,
Magnoli

Hey Indy, how's it going?

As I've never owned an Idol yet, and only ever studied photos of them... Is there much difference between the Gobler Idol and the frown mouth idols, except obviously the mouth, and on this one the eyes. Just the baby on this one is exactly the same as on the Gobler Idol, and the rest looks almost the same to me. I was starting to think even the Gobler Idol lineage is from a frown mouth idol mold...

Maybe I'm not seeing all the tell tale signs, but would definitely appreciate help pointing out the differences!

Thanks,

Andy

There are so many nuances to the face of this (like any face, really) that it's hard to pinpoint them all, but here are a few things that I noticed comparing this to my Gobler idol:

wider nose
top lip curls up more (as on the stunt mouth)
"smile" lines are different (especially where they touch the nose)
butt-crack is different :$
and the baby's face does look a bit different (especially the eyes)

Droidboy sold castings 8 or 9 years ago:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/Treadwell_Jay/misc/idol/DSCN1810_sm.jpg

I had to do a LOT of cleanup: bubbles, boogers, seamlines, some from previous generations. That's just gold spraypaint on it.

More pics here:
Idol Photos by Treadwell_Jay | Photobucket

That's the same one on the right, with a plated one from Immaculate Conceptions on the left:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/Treadwell_Jay/misc/idol/DSCN1849-1.jpg

I don't know the source for the IC one, nor am I sure of the plating method. Note the Droidboy is a little bigger.

Looking at this I think I got one of the DroidBoy castings knocking around in my shed, I fished it out the bin after the store manager knocked it of a shelf and it got smashed in on the base. Were talking well over 10 years a go and it was just a spray paint gold version. The exposed fiberglass was red with green filler.

Peanuts

What's your opinion on this one? It seems to be a constant on eBay

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 169
Hi, guys. I have thought that this thread would be perfect to show an update on how is oing the work on my second revision of my hero prop fertiliy idol. A few days ago, after several weeks, finally I've got my new idol chromed. Next step, the montage of the parts and the aging work

22154791400_a09113a341_c.jpg

;)

I just came across a new photo of two of the original idols. I know some will have seen this on the COW fb page, but for those who haven't, enjoy! I hope it's ok for this photo to be shared here, but anyone from COW wishing for it to be removed, please just let me know.

It really shows the shape of the mouth of the pedestal idol.

I just came across a new photo of two of the original idols. I know some will have seen this on the COW fb page, but for those who haven't, enjoy! I hope it's ok for this photo to be shared here, but anyone from COW wishing for it to be removed, please just let me know.

It really shows the shape of the mouth of the pedestal idol.

Cheers mate. Here's another one taken when I was up at the Ranch again a few months back.

Screen Shot 2015-10-30 at 10.45.43 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-10-31 at 8.28.50 PM.png

(Edit)
Added a pic of the one in the Main House.

Regards..

Last edited:
WOW, another great photo! Thanks for sharing that with us Mark, you know I love this prop!!

Looking at all the photos I have of the original Pedestal Idol, I think sskunky got the closest in eye colour when it comes to replicas.

What I would love to see is some high res photos of the baby face of the Pedestal Idol.... ;)

One day I would love to have 4 idols in my collection:

Stunt Idol with frowned mouth
Belloq Idol
Prop Store finish Idol
Pedestal Idol

As it stands I don't have an idol in my collection anymore, so still waiting for that super SA idol to be made.

Regards,

Andy

WOW, another great photo! Thanks for sharing that with us Mark, you know I love this prop!!

Looking at all the photos I have of the original Pedestal Idol, I think sskunky got the closest in eye colour when it comes to replicas.

What I would love to see is some high res photos of the baby face of the Pedestal Idol.... ;)

One day I would love to have 4 idols in my collection:

Stunt Idol with frowned mouth
Belloq Idol
Prop Store finish Idol
Pedestal Idol

As it stands I don't have an idol in my collection anymore, so still waiting for that super SA idol to be made.

Regards,

Andy

You're welcome mate and it sounds like a great collection you're aiming to have!

BTW, I've added a pic of the one in the Main House as well.

There are a number of versions in the complex including what looks like a Gobler (in the archive building main reception) that is painted a deep, chocolate brown for some reason....

Best

I love the subtle but superior sculptural differences of the hero idol. The face/head looks larger in relation to the body, perhaps to fit the eyeballs, mechanism, servos and receiver. It's really too bad the restoration was so poor. It destroyed the sharp details. I looks melted and soft compared to the way it looked on screen. Also- did they replace the eyes? I recall the screen-used eyes had realistic iris coloration. I wonder if the Propstore stunt idol with realistic irises is from the hero mold. If so, it may be the only remaining accurate representation of the hero idol sculpture. If only Brandon/Stephen would let it be molded or 3D scanned!

I love the subtle but superior sculptural differences of the hero idol. The face/head looks larger in relation to the body, perhaps to fit the eyeballs, mechanism, servos and receiver. It's really too bad the restoration was so poor. It destroyed the sharp details. I looks melted and soft compared to the way it looked on screen. Also- did they replace the eyes? I recall the screen-used eyes had realistic iris coloration. I wonder if the Propstore stunt idol with realistic irises is from the hero mold. If so, it may be the only remaining accurate representation of the hero idol sculpture. If only Brandon/Stephen would let it be molded or 3D scanned!

The eyes in the archive one are on poor state as you can see, the left hand one is cracked and shattered and the right hand one has a big blob of glue under the upper lid.

Regarding the PropStore one, Brandon told me that they don't have it any longer

Regards

Mark

belloq - I could be wrong but I don't think they replaced the eyes on the Pedestal Idol. It's just some photos make the eyes look darker, almost brown. Where in other photos they appear a more orange colour like the Prop Store Idol. There are all sorts of theories out there questioning which was the original sculpt for the idol, as in, was the original sculpt the frowned mouth idol which was later used on screen as a stunt idol. Then this idol was resculpted slightly which became the shape of the Pedestal and Belloq Idol....

Mark, thanks for the other photo. I had seen that idol, but that's a nice clear shot!! Brandon mentioned a while back that the idol they had is now in the hands of a private collector. Maybe when my lottery numbers come up I can make them an offer to part with it! :)

Regards,

Andy

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back