The Definitive Golden Idols of Raiders *UPDATED 5-23-08*

Re: The Definitive Golden Idols of Raiders

HH,
That Icons prototypel is a weird one. It has all the correct facial features but still has that headband. Did you recently purchase that? If not, then I know of two Icons idols out there. The other is in Canada.

Sorry for not following up. I got this yeeeeaars ago and it's supposed to be the one in the picture of the Icons showroom below.

iconsshowroom.JPG

Thomas

It's a fan sculpt I guess.

$50 is decent for both items, but if you just wanted the idol, you could get BluFives more accurate hollow cast idol for $45.

It looks like the feet are missing a portion of the "toes". I would also sand down the head band. Once you do that it will be closer to SA.

Brad

I'm happy with the item :) .. The headpiece is REALLY nice and detailed ..

I'll try and get the headband off, and fix the toe .. It also has a great weight .. almost 3 kg :)

kinda looking for a brass version - saw the one up on ebay. the mouth looks a little off to me.. What do you guys think?

Don't know if I can post a ebay link here - but it's the same one that's posted on page 1 labeled "ebay idol"

Please let me know your opinions and if there are any alternatives to find a metal one.

~Thomas

Great chart! It's really neat to see all the idols layed out like that. Here's my finished Blue-five V2 idol if you wanted to replace the primer only version.
idol8.jpg

Super useful thread, thanks. I just bought a strange looking idol from eBay for $25 and I will be interested to see which one it actually is.

Has the upcoming Diamond Select "fertility idol replica bank" been discussed anywhere?

http://shop.indianajones.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=1306542

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DC70263

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=DMC10989&mode=retail

http://www.alteregocomics.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=5194

http://www.amazon.com/Indiana-Jones-Idol-Replica-Bank/dp/B001E0RYW2

They're all using the same product pic (which I realize is not the final product), except for the Indiana Jones shop (theirs looks really odd), and the same description text which states that it was "recreated utilizing digital scans of the original prop itself."

Amazon.com adds "Replicates the Idol in all details - Based on the Lucas film original prop using digital scans" and gives product dimensions of 5 x 5.5 x 8.2 inches.

So theoretically, if it is in fact scanned from an original and is in fact the same size (guessing by Amazon's info), one could do a little work on it, mold it and make a casting, and have it vacuum metalized or plated, and have a nice accurate replica, yes?

"Replicates the Idol in all details - Based on the Lucas film original prop using digital scans" and gives product dimensions of 5 x 5.5 x 8.2 inches.
I highly doubt it. Just look at it.

Well after the very disappointing Headpiece I suspect that the NC idol will be a huge let down too.

Someone from australia is selling an idol bank from Diamond Select on eekbay,here's a pic not the best shot

!BJPuEV!BWk~$(KGrHgoOKjgEjlLmZyqPBJR4SmHE-w~~_1.JPG

WOW this thread has really giving me a hole new out look on replica props.

I've often thought of doing one of these, and to this point the items I've made are meant to look good in pictures or video and be viewed from a distance (in costume).

This thread has shown me that even things that don't look like much need to be accurate to for the hard core collector.

Very cool pictures, thank you to everyone that has shared.

Amazon.com adds "Replicates the Idol in all details - Based on the Lucas film original prop using digital scans" and gives product dimensions of 5 x 5.5 x 8.2 inches.

The Key word here is :
That could mean alot of things.... Remember most movie's are "Based on" a famous books, dont mean it's as good as the book.

I just got the Diamond Select bank today. It has the headband like the Icons prototype and no toes on the feet. It's painted an antique gold. I'll try to sand the headband off, fill in the coin slot and carve in the toes before I refinish the gold. It would also be easy to add eyes to one. For the money, I think it is great. Toynk.com is selling them for $14.99 each if you buy 2 or more. I don't know if it's perfectly 1:1, but the size looks good. The coin slot is on the back of the head and intersects the carved hair detail. The photo posted by Pitbull, 2 posts above, looks like the same bank I have. Mine just came packaged in open poly bags. There appears to be a barely noticeable seam where the neck meets the chin. If that is a seam, its the only one I've found. Although the advertising says so, nothing was included with the bank that brags that it was made using a digital scan of an actual prop.

Last edited:
Brad and I were working in my shop today and we had the chance to compare some for idols.

Specifically, the bank version (painted gold), his Gobler (vac-metallized), my old AIM version (electro-plated gold, down-turned mouth), and the Bluefive (raw):

Idols014.jpg

Idols015.jpg

Idols016.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know about that. The mouth looks off and the pupils were never indented. I know that Gobler did a run of indented pupil idols but this isn't one of them.

Interesting though. Thanks Andy.

At first I thought it was a Gobler 1st run idol, but taking a better look I noticed the mouth was different to his. The baby looks exactly the same as the Gobler Idol though...

Cheers,

Andy

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back