Original Golden Idol from Raiders here...

Non of the location idols had glass eyes.

So the Propstore text is inaccurate?

http://www.propstore.com/idol.htm

This is one of two Idol props taken to Kauai, Hawaii for location filming. The exterior scenes filmed there show Indiana Jones (Harrison Ford) diving out of the temple entrance, and then forfeiting the Idol to Belloq (played by Paul Freeman), who proudly shows it to the native Hovitos. This version of the prop features static eyes, the brown glass eyes are permanently fixed into the head and do not move. All of the Idol props used in Raiders had brown glass eyes, and at least one mechanical version was built in which the eyes could move left to right. The original intent was for the eyes to follow Indy around the room as he approached the alter, but most of these scenes were cut from the film. The eyes can be seen scanning from side to side for just an instant in the final version of the film.

Last edited:
I've spoken with the man who did the vacuum-metalizing for the original Hawaiian idol scenes. The Elstrie idols were different from the location shoot. They had several solid idols for closeups and some that were foam for throwing. Non of the location idols had glass eyes. I have seen and held a real screen used idol it was solid and all gold.

Cheers,
Jeff

JEFF YOU'RE BACK! How was the Honeymoon? I was hoping you had seen this thread. PM me your cell number again.

Brad

I've spoken with the man who did the vacuum-metalizing for the original Hawaiian idol scenes. The Elstrie idols were different from the location shoot. They had several solid idols for closeups and some that were foam for throwing. Non of the location idols had glass eyes. I have seen and held a real screen used idol it was solid and all gold.

Cheers,
Jeff

I have to respectfully disagree.

I assume that the person you have spoken to is in California. The original Idols, along with all of the props for Raiders, were created in England by the UK Art Department. The props were all shipped from England, to Hawaii, including two Golden Idols. The Idol pictured in this thread is one of those two Idols. It is the same sculpt as the "moving eyes" Idol seen in close up in the film, as well as the one that Freeman holds up on Kauai.

I have researched this matter extensively and spoken at length to a number of the HODs on Raiders. Once again I believe that all of the plated Idols on Raiders had glass eyes, none were plated over. When the film is released in 1080p, you will see the Brown eyes of the Kauai idol more clearly. There may also be new photographs in the Making of IJ book being released next week.

As for how the eyes were inserted- all of the Idols were cast with the backs as separate plates. The moving eyes Idols left the back plates as a separate pieces, held on via magnets. The fixed eyes Idols had the plate glued and puttied for a seamless look.

-Brandon
The Prop Store of London

I have to respectfully disagree.

I assume that the person you have spoken to is in California. The original Idols, along with all of the props for Raiders, were created in England by the UK Art Department. The props were all shipped from England, to Hawaii, including two Golden Idols. The Idol pictured in this thread is one of those two Idols. It is the same sculpt as the "moving eyes" Idol seen in close up in the film, as well as the one that Freeman holds up on Kauai.

-Brandon
The Prop Store of London

Yes, they are in California. Yes, idols were shipped from the UK however due to complications some were shipped to Ca to be reworked and at the same time, foam versions were made. Those idols were then shipped back to the location shoot. Perhaps, the glass eyes kept falling out during the take and solid eyes were then used???? Also the Lucas Archives have both glass eyed and solid eyes...

Cheers,
Jeff

Also the Lucas Archives have both glass eyed and solid eyes...
This is true. I received pics from the archives about a year ago which show the archive shot posted in this thread much clearer and you can see both versions, plated and glass eyes. No holes in the eyes though.

Jeff's idols is pretty much identical as the one on the shelf in the archives. When put up against any of the other Evilbay idols, the differences jump right out at you like night and day. You can see Jeff's was cast from the real deal. It's a bit taller too, just like yours, Brandon. I remember you noticed the difference in height right away.

There may also be new photographs in the Making of IJ book being released next week.
I was lucky enough to get a copy and there are no more new photos that would be usefull. The new dvds have several of the pics used in the book.

Last edited:
The fixed eyes Idols had the plate glued and puttied for a seamless look.

Hey Brandon,
Perhaps you can clarify.
1. Were the head and back plate cast as separate pieces or was the plate cut away from a 'whole' initial casting?

2. In the two piece design, they would have had to be metalized as separate pieces because if not, the plating would chip all to heck from the cutting.

I don't understand how the plate could be seamless unless they glued and puttied before metalizing. Thus bringing up the problem of inserting the eyes.

If the back plate and body were seperate and metalized individually, making them appear seamless would not be achievable, at least not anything relatively up close.

Just trying to understand. :thumbsup

2497160685_093dc6a9e2_o.jpg

2497159873_218cfbd866_o.jpg

2497160179_42e8bec2ec_o.jpg

2497990544_10782f5732_o.jpg

I had a replica with the real eyes a few years ago. I didn't like it as much as the ones with gold eyes though.

More caps from the new DVD:

i5.jpg

i6.jpg

i7.jpg

In this last pic, the seam is quite visible, starting at the top of the forehead (on the viewer's right) and continuing over the ear and down the back side.

... Now that we know where to look.

-Mike

Note also the 'dusty' appearance of the idol due to the dulling spray.

Also, compare the height above the ears of the seam in that shot with the behind the scenes mechanics shots earlier, and the Archive idol shots before those. Looks like at least two mechanical idols were used.

-Mike

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back