1/2 studio scale Offworld Blimp - DONE!!

Re: 1/2 studio scale Offworld Blimp - MOVING AHEAD!

Yeah, it's a 3 foot square hunk of mdf sheet that fits into the back of my Outback. Blimp is mounted to a smaller plank of wood. Smaller plank has four holes (at each corner) that slides onto four bolts that come from underneath the MDF, and it's all locked down. So I can drive this to Wonderfest and there's really no way it'll tip over, since the cargo area is only a couple inches wider - the 36" length will allow it to slide in and seat easily.

When I get to the show, pop the smaller plank off, and carry 'er into the venue!

The Subaru has a rubberized mat in the back, too... nothing slides even if it's "free range"... it's pretty cool.

The clearance is generous around the equator/antennas, so I don't have to worry about them getting bent on seats (which amazingly can stay upright), or the sides/back glass. And the best part is, when I hand this particular one off to the client, he gets the MDF for HIS Outback and it will be perfect.

The original client's blimp gets a special crate made by a third party, since it has to be shipped. I leave that kind of delicate work (and liability) to professionals.

Mine stays here. I'll be buried with it, which will happen sooner than later, since I think building THREE of these will most definitely kill me. But seriously, the next two will be MUCH MUCH faster, now that I have "kicked the tires" already.

You need to build a 4th that actually flies lol. You have the patience of a saint to do this kind of detail work.

I wish I could get to Wonder Fest just once. Long drive for me from LA.

steve

You really ought to come. I know several folks who would carry you around on their shoulders.

See if you can sneak into john Eaves' luggage :love

Actually I can still walk and drive! LOL! then there's Rosie. I leave her behind she'll make my wife's life hell. She goes nuts when I leave even for an hour. so I take her everywhere. But so far at Cons. "Sir you can't take that dog in here." :(

steve

All that BR was a help, yessir.

545906_10150836114828156_674213155_11406186_983943206_n.jpg

SUPER AWESOME Jason! WOW! (y)thumbsup(y)thumbsup

Thank ya! All safely rigged for transport, too - pops off that big chunk 'o wood nicely!

577201_10150840058878156_674213155_11421029_1544692768_n.jpg

Amazing job, Jason! Apologies if this has already been asked but do the video monitors work?

Turn the lights on while driving. It'll look like your own flux capacitor. Disco!

Seriously cool Jason!

You too? Hehe.
Finished the paper ads. Some I had to make up, some are jokes, some are Tom Southwell graphics, and all are era-appropriate...

546445_10150840690413156_674213155_11423357_1152914729_n.jpg

Wow! I think I'm going to make sure to go to Wonderfest this year!

Awesome work!

This is one of the best examples ever here of what time, careful research ,dedication and EXTREME attention to detail can produce. The results speak for themselves. Fantastic build Jason and a total show stopper! Sir Ridley Scott would be proud. Next up for you will be the Prometheus!!!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back