Borg Queen: Body suit build / casting questions pg 3

tk1780

Hey Gang

Friend of mine on an other forum, without membership access here, is looking into doing up a Queen Borg costume from Star Trek. I told her this was the place to come as far as info, but she is unable to get signed up yet to ask you all herself. If anyone has any costuming resources or ideas on this it would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone has attempted this costume and has some pictures or a tutorial that would be wonderfull.

I will pass this along and with luck we will maybe see a Borg queen at Dragon Con 09 :thumbsup

Again team any info would be great.

Last edited:
Re: Star Trek: Borg Queen costume questions

Well, its not exactly Borg-Queen related, but maybe this site http://unimatrix001.de/03_Borgkostueme/Lektionen/Lektionen_Borgkostuem/lektionen_borgkosuem_start.html
provides some helpful tips for your friend. Its all in german, but there are many pics, so if one knows the basics it shouldn´t be much of a problem to translate the process to the Queen-design.

Here´s a picture of the finished costume:
Borgkostuem_Delcara_011.jpg

Wow! Yeah, I can't say that I've seen this costume attempted. I'd love to see it though.

Of course any advice you get on this board doesn't just have to come from someone who's done a Borg Queen. There's been a great deal of talented sculptors here that have done masks and suits (like muscle suits or Batman). It's basically the same process of sculpting the body suit and make up appliances.

I have never done those things and am pretty sure that it costs a fortune to do, but good luck to your friend.

Thanks guys, yah the more info the better. And agreed this place has some of the most impressive talent out there for almost everything. Anything I can pass on would be great. I agree 100% it would be a very cool thing to have a Borg Queen running around at D-Con. There are allways like 10-15 drones kicking around so that would be cool to have them have their fearless leader kicking around.

This Gal also does a kick@$$ 7of 9, so can only imagine how well she would make this turn out. :thumbsup

I know I have some reference floating about but my Trek media is all split up and unorganized... hi-res reference of the Borg Queen would be most helpful in assessing what would need to be done, or at least her options.

I'm definitely excited to see this done.

I know I have some reference floating about but my Trek media is all split up and unorganized... hi-res reference of the Borg Queen would be most helpful in assessing what would need to be done, or at least her options.

I'm definitely excited to see this done.

Would love some nice hi res shots, if you come accross them please fire them this direction :)

Again team any thoughts or ideas please feel free, the more info the better, please :thumbsup

The problem with using foamies, however, is that this is a very curvy sculpt, sweeping around the breasts and over the shoulders. Although, I have seen very good results from using a heat gun and forming curves, which it keeps when it cools. Could be possible, but still difficult.

I can't believe no one has attempted this before. It seems the only TNG alien species people like to dress up as are the Klingons. Yeah, I know they're pretty much TOS-movie Klingons, but still.

You are right Coz....Susanna Thompson...:love

Not sure if she's shorter...

Sure I'll see if I remember to do a scan of the Christie's image...

Managed to track down a couple of nice ones, they're all thumbnailed so as to not break the tables.

Alice Krige made an appearance not only in First Contact but also in the final episode of Voyager, reprising her role as the Borg Queen, and again in the Voyager-inspired "ride" at Star Trek The Experience. The First Contact (FC) and Voyager (VOY) costumes and make-up, although very close, were quite different in the details, understandable seeing as how they weren't supposed to be the same body.

Anyway, I've split the photos into sections for easy consumption, face shots next to face shots, sides next to sides, etc., except for the VOY section, which I left alone, 'cuz, ya know... Voyager, man. :thumbsdown

Promo Shots

Screencaps

Behind The Scenes

I suffered a small bit of confusion at this photo ("Riker never had any scenes with the Borg Queen?!") before recalling that Frakes directed the movie. :lol

VOY/STTE

If you've looked at the other photos carefully you'll probably notice the differences now... the VOY version is much cleaner, simple and even a bit colorful in comparison, probably to let it read better on the small screen. Also notice the addition of hose ribbing under the skin of her throat in the make-up.

This particular image is from the filming of the STTE ride, the rest are from her appearance in Voyager's finale.

That's all I've got. My Trek DVDs, with the exception of TWOK and NEM, are all packed away, so I can't go in and take caps of any other areas, sorry.

What I'm seeing is, ideally for comfort and aesthetics, a five piece costume. A set of legs with built in shoes that come up like overalls to prevent sagging, a torso piece starting at the neckline and fastening between the legs, with the sleeves ending below the elbow. Elbow length gloves and the prosthetic finish off the set.

The basic idea: Green=pants, Red=top, Purple=gloves. The darker green and red bits go underneath whatever part they overlap. Excuse the crappy 2-minute MSPaint.

This definetely looks to be a costume that has to be sculpted over a bodycast and reproduced in foam. Alternatively, however, you could build it up in sections using upholstery foam, carving it as you go along, and then latex it. Google around for Predator musclesuits (it might even be on the RPF) and you'll find a tutorial or two on the technique. If this is clumsy or nonsensical, it's 10am for me, and no, I didn't just wake up, I haven't gone to sleep yet.

Best of luck in your endeavor!

Also, should I be concerned that the formerly grotesque Borg Queen is kinda turning me on right now?

The Christie's Star Trek auction catalog has a great full length frontal image of the Queen costume in it....

Is my memory playing tricks, or did I read somewhere that the original Krige suit was adapted for use in Voyager by another actress (who was shorter, I think)?

A low budget way to vreate this might be to use sheets of craft foam (fun foam) to create the layers of detail over a corset, and also for the long strips on the 'trousers'.

C.

You are right Coz....Susanna Thompson...:love

I'll see if I can remember to scan the Christie's image...

What the hell is wrong here? Is anyone seeing a couple of posts that should be on this page somehow inbetween other posts on the first page? How did a post I just made around 2pm end up before a post I made before 10am?

This is good stuff gang thank you, please keep it coming. :thumbsup

Neon Sentry !!! Like wow on the screen captures and images, thank you, that was a lot of work to post up, very apprecaited (y)thumbsup

No problemo, I love it when I can actually contribute. Does she have any experience with sculpting/molding/casting? Because I managed to find the tut I mentioned earlier...

http://www.theeffectslab.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2473

I think the techniques could be applied to much of the suit, although getting a smooth finish on the final product would be a chore.

But, many details areas would still need to be sculpted, molded and cast.

And while many pieces can just sort of give the general "look", the head and neck would need to look great. We're talking full lifecast down to the collarbone, sculpting a huge headpiece and casting that mofo in foam latex or urethane. I think the make-up will be the dealbreaker.

EDIT: Looks like someone here on the RPF has attempted the foam Predator as well:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=16473&highlight=upholstery+foam+predator&page=3

Might be able to get some advice if you go that route.

Last edited:

Again Neon Sentry, thanks for the great info. This is bound to help.

I was sure I had saw a costume someone had done up a few years back but no luck on my own searchs, must have lost my mind or something.

Again any and all info much appreciated. :thumbsup

Just saw on the Dewback Wing that she has molding/casting experience... I think if this goes through it'll be super. :)

The Christie's Star Trek auction catalog has a great full length frontal image of the Queen costume in it....

I totally misread that, I thought you said a "full frontal".:love Although if anyone has seen the uncut version of "Ghost Story" (1981)... Anyway, hope these help!

The rubber is definately starting to show it's age.

BorgQueenSuit.jpg

Here's a couple more behind the scenes shots.

Photo_12_of_40.jpg

Queen__Todd_copy.jpg

I wouldn't use the $6000 licenced statue for reference though...it looks constipated! :sick
borgqueenlife.jpg

That's gotta be one of the scariest things I've seen in a while. :confused

Awesome reference pics, Neon Sentry! :thumbsup Those would have come in handy back when I did my Borg Queen bust.

Beagle Bill

Last edited:

Again some nice grabs here ! Thanks team, I knew people would have some good info.

Still, please anything else as to a costume someone might have made please post it up. And thanks again :thumbsup

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back