Revisiting the Training Remote

Re: Build Diary: Revisiting the Jedi Training Remote

What do you need my brother.

I think I have the brackets molded someplace..or castings laying around...

Much appreciated... PM on its way.

Great stuff here! I had a rotocast kit a few years back and loved it. It would be great to build a remote from kit parts so you the crisp eges around each individual part.. I'm very envious..

You're only envious of time wasted, let me tell you. It took me almost a year to find relatively affordable Bandai Panthers off ebay. If I ever do this again, I'm going to purchase the new Tamiya Panther G (covered earlier in this thread) or cast the hatch in a better two part mold. If you have 1 Panther G kit, you can get away with making easy 1 part molds of nearly everything. Even the cupola can be hollowed meaning you'll only have to make that single 2 part mold, and get 7 good copies. And that really isn't too bad as scratchbuilds go IMO.

I was trying to keep this all kit-parts... but I would be thrilled to use some BrundelFly cast parts. To have a remote on my shelf that was signed by its original creator AND has parts from the guy who deciphered this wonderful mystery (essentially making building this thing accurately actually possible)... well I guess I'm flat out honored. :$ Having started this so long ago, I never imagined it would ever turn out so well.

Now, onto the other dream of actually finishing a project.:lol

I might have to suck up to some of you to get some parts. I just found my hemisphere's I bought YEARS ago in may basement recently.

Yo dont have to suck up here.

People tend to be pretty helpful when and where they can.

what is the correct size and type of styrene for the "triple" small rectangles and the larger equatorial rectangles? also...what is the correct size for these?

Members here have been good to me indeed! Thanks to BrundelFly's generosity this ball will graduate to a completed state. A rare state for many of my projects.

As for panel size, I confess I never even made a measurement. I discovered some irregularity to the size of these parts but as far as I can tell the panels on the equator should be as tall as the 'triple.'

what about thickness of styrene sheets?

Members here have been good to me indeed! Thanks to BrundelFly's generosity this ball will graduate to a completed state. A rare state for many of my projects.

As for panel size, I confess I never even made a measurement. I discovered some irregularity to the size of these parts but as far as I can tell the panels on the equator should be as tall as the 'triple.'

hey everyone,
i've been a long-time lurker and i'm starting my training remote build. I've never done any studio scale stuff before.

I was planning to photodocument along the way. should i post the build here in this thread or in a separate thread of my own?

thanks for all of the good tips and references in this thread.
wish me luck

Den

what is the correct size and type of styrene for the "triple" small rectangles and the larger equatorial rectangles? also...what is the correct size for these?

14.5 x 8 mm I think.

.75 mm on the sheet, (rectangles) is what I used. .5 would work, but Im pretty sure they were .75

I'm sorry I'm not in front of mine or I would just measure them.

I used .5mm styrene but after I had the panels adhered to the curved surface I sanded them down smooth to hide any imperfections ( I didn't start with a vac'ed styrene hemisphere) from the previously flat sheet.

On the original they are very thin so I would imagine I am in the same range as BrundelFly after the sanding.

EDIT: Oh, and if you've got some photos of yours... post em up.

Last edited:

Here's the beginning of my part of this build thread.

As i mentioned before, this is my first studio scale. my previous experiences are in action figure customizing and costuming, some of which can be seen at my website. I havent built a model in years.

Here goes with the
First, i sanded both hemispheres, then used the template (printable btw...nice) from FC's tutorial to mark the 45degree angles. then i used masking tape to hold the two hemi's together, then used a pencil to trace the longitudinal lines, 45degrees apart. I then marked notches on the sites along each meridian approximately 36mm from the equator (is that 36mm latitude?:lol)

Here is the result.

IMG_1111.jpg

IMG_1112.jpg

IMG_1108.jpg

I'd like to drill holes next. But i need to decide how this thing will eventually be suspended/supported when on display. any ideas?

I'd appreciate any critiques that will improve the piece!

Hope for more progress soon!!

Den

Looks like you're off to a great start!

I followed BrundelFly's instructions from his resin kit; running a metal tube through the center. The stand you see is my photos isn't perfect as it was made by my grandfather who observed I needed something for it while working. The dowel is drilled out through the center and extends the full length of the block. Its actually a box filled with lead shot, and can't be knocked over.:thumbsup I'll probably roll with it, and shoot it satin black after I'm done painting.\

EDIT:
theyrenotdolls, will you be casting Bandai Panther G parts or buying 8 of the new Tamiya version?

Last edited:

I drilled some holes today...went well, i think. 5 out of 8 are dead on. 3 are a little wonky and need to be fixed. here are some pics

IMG_1118.jpg

IMG_1119.jpg

IMG_1120.jpg

IMG_1122.jpg

Below are the drill bits i used. I started small and worked my way up to a 3/4" bit. then i used the dremel sanding drum. Looking back, i should have skipped the 3/4" bit, going straight from 1/2" to the sanding drum.
IMG_1127.jpg

as for parts, i'm using casted parts from a kit that i bought off somebody here.

Tips for dealing with the wonky areas?

Den

Looks like you're off to a great start!

I followed BrundelFly's instructions from his resin kit; running a metal tube through the center. The stand you see is my photos isn't perfect as it was made by my grandfather who observed I needed something for it while working. The dowel is drilled out through the center and extends the full length of the block. Its actually a box filled with lead shot, and can't be knocked over.:thumbsup I'll probably roll with it, and shoot it satin black after I'm done painting.\

EDIT:
theyrenotdolls, will you be casting Bandai Panther G parts or buying 8 of the new Tamiya version?

So i used some 5min epoxy putty to fix the wonky spots:
IMG_1138.jpg

having some problems with the "circles" that go around the truck rims. i dont know if it's a problem with the size of my wheels or i'm not understanding the instructions.

I followed BF's instructions, making the outer diameter 46mm and inner diameter 23mm

My truck wheels are 23mm diameter, so. the circles i created hugged the wheels much too tightly. I tried making the outer diameter bigger 55mm with a 32mm inner diameter, allowing for the 4mm around the wheel. the problem is that it just looked way too big.

any hints or tips?

I tried this out: besides being a little crooked, how does this mock-up work size wise?
IMG_1143.jpg

Last edited:

Now thats coming along. Not much to do but fill in those mistakes I suppose.... you're better off with the epoxy, I would have said just fill it in. Those don't look like the Panzer IV kit-parts though. Are you doing a custom version?

Mine's sitting pretty in white primer begging for some paint. I'll get some photos tonight.

those gray pieces go somewhere else, i think, but i just put them there to use for size comparison. i need to take pics of my whole kit so one of you guys could check it for me...make sure i dont need to get anything else.

little more progress here....
cutout all 16 semi circles. and traced the pattern onto the globes exactly where they will sit. i colored one in to make it more visible in the photo.
IMG_1146.jpg

Hey guys,
I finally purchased everything I need to start building my Training Remote.:):thumbsup

I just need to buy my paints now...
I know I need the Floquil Reefer White and the Freightcar Brown....

...but have you guys nailed down what the "GREY" color is on the panels?

I know Flint Grey was mentioned, but I don't recall seeing anyone mentioning the definite color.:confused

dear build diary,
this part of the build was extremely frustrating. getting the semicircles to be the same size and aligned properly was difficult. It's still not quite right and i'll need to do a little filing. any way, here goes :
IMG_1147.jpg

IMG_1149.jpg

The circles really are a PITA without a vac formed hemisphere. I'd recommend spending some time tweaking them by eye, and making sure each has properly seated. Depending on the glue you used this might not be a problem. Many imperfections will seem to disappear when you get the kit parts on BUT it is much easier to make modifications before they go on. Stick with it... this is the hardest part of building one of these... once you're happy with your circles its all gravy. Well mostly ;)

So you're using the Tamiya Panther? That's going to look really nice... its a great kit and I really like the 'remote' parts. If anyone's wondering what's the difference look no further than this thread.

For the record it does not bother me at all if there are other builds here in this thread. If anyone is scratching their own they are welcome to post here. It might be helpful to have them all in one place... not that they don't deserve their own threads.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back