Revisiting the Training Remote

Re: Build Diary: Revisiting the Jedi Training Remote

EDIT: You'll have to settle for a teaser instead.
teaser.jpg

Last edited:

how does one accomplish the finishing WITH the scotch-lright already in place? i can understand stuffing the cupolas, but the tape is FLAT behind the rims, with several holes in to rim to mask.

See post #13 of this thread.

my guess is that the rims are slipped in place after the rest of the remote has been painted and weathered?

You got it! Mine hold in place just fine with friction. Don't put the truck rims in until you are finished.

the little stubby post above the panther gun port. jim c. says its a "muffler baffle" on the panther kit, but i am super confused to what that would be...i've flipped those sprues several times and cant find it. what am i misunderstanding?

Are you sure you are using the Bandai 1/48 Panther? There should be 2 per kit, right near the hatch cover.

the sheet rectanglangular pieces (big pieces @ equator) & (threesome above the cupolas). what is the thought of their thickness (along with the thickness of the circles around the rim)? the prop pics make the rectangles looks like they are two pieces stacked...creating small steps at the edges. this seems rather complicated by the standards of the prop makers and is just likely more the weathering of the edges to the primer white .. just a theory.--is it possible that the rectangles are actually painted scotch-lite. their thickness would indicate, no? and the horrible gunky painting may be due to applying thickly after that much light reflective on the prop was found to be TOO much for the camera? just theories?

You have just touched on a key feature of the original remote. The equatorial panels are not reflective tape; just styrene. The double edge you are seeing is the result of a graphite outline. Get out your pencils.

EDIT: I can never get a post right the first time!

Last edited:

You have just touched on a key feature of the original remote. The equatorial panels are not reflective tape; just styrene. The double edge you are seeing is the result of a graphite outline. Get out your pencils.

Not many replicas get this, and it really makes the prop pop.

Not many replicas get this, and it really makes the prop pop.

Couldn't agree more.:thumbsup Most people wind up making the panels too big as a result of the border.

EDIT: Took out me talking scoop on the MR. For the record, I'd be thrilled to dremel off the detail bits and use their beautiful idealized panels.

Last edited:

Thanks for throwing it back up. The first thread has been updated.

More photos of the build tonight.

No worries.

Ill get the PAINTING tutorial up next.

And I'm gonna need it soon.:thumbsup

When we originally spoke, Lorne said it was Reefer White. I put primer white in my first post as the plastic primer I am using seemed to match the base color of the remote as it is today. It has undoubtedly yellowed over the years. However, I am certain that it is the Boxcar color instead of red, though.

EDIT: Lack of updates are due to the loss of my camera and not having internet at home. Double whammy.

When and how did you get to speak with Peterson?

There's some other ball I'd love to chat with him about...

I'll see what I can do... ;)

Check the first thread.... he came to do a presentation where I work when WSMI was in Philly. I happen to have my project materials with me because I was going to spend some time at a friend of mine's studio afterwards. I had no idea he even built the original remote until I asked him a few questions about the thing. Went to my car and grabbed the kit parts and hemispheres; it was when he signed the one. Seemed to perk up at seeing a project, as a lot of fans that night we're only after multiple autographs on who knows what. He even flat out told me not to pay a lot for the super deluze Sculpting a Galaxy and to hold out for a used copy.:lol Real nice guy... very easy to work with. I was operating our Theater that night and often the talent can be bothersome. Anthony Daniels was a total DICK and made of of my coworkers cry. No joke... he is good with the kids but I wouldn't want that guys signature on anything because of that experience.

And I'm gonna need it soon.:thumbsup

When we originally spoke, Lorne said it was Reefer White. I put primer white in my first post as the plastic primer I am using seemed to match the base color of the remote as it is today. It has undoubtedly yellowed over the years. However, I am certain that it is the Boxcar color instead of red, though.

EDIT: Lack of updates are due to the loss of my camera and not having internet at home. Double whammy.

Im certain you are right. BOXCAR RED would make sense as its the same color as the red on the Falcon. My understanding was that all the SW models were painted with the FLOQUIL RR colors. Ofcourse, when I wrote my article originally..I had no idea and got it as close as I could with the colors that looked right to me. For the red color, I used the POLLY S Rust, which, looks the same as the BOXCAR, and POLLY S was made by FLOQUIL if memory serves me right..

It does exactly match the 5' Falcon panels but am almost positive it is Boxcar Brown. I am going to have to check the jar of paint at home... but whatever I've got was a dead on match. I know it really does look sort of red/brown both on-screen and in flash photography. When I saw it in person I remember thinking that it looked -just- brown. Compare Yoda's shirt to the remote in this picture.

yodaremote.jpg

Photo has not been color adjusted or retouched, only cropped.

Very nice. Well done matching the finish on the grey panels as well. IIRC one of my first paint comparisons was with Testors acrylic rust. And it was very very close. I'll see if I can find my old research. Got the camera tonight... so stay tuned.

Very nice. Well done matching the finish on the grey panels as well. IIRC one of my first paint comparisons was with Testors acrylic rust. And it was very very close. I'll see if I can find my old research. Got the camera tonight... so stay tuned.

Mine's the top - the base color is slightly off (slightly more "rich") compared to how it appeared at the time of this museum display. But also different cameras and formats (35mm on the studio, digital on mine).

Its one of Franks reject casts. Took verly little to bring it back to shape. Very fun build. Note the pencil markings you mentioned in this thread!

I did a scratch-build YEARS ago, roughly about the same time Frank did his. He even saw it at a local prop party and, of course, had to mention how his was bigger! Mine was made from a Michael's ball, and not the true Plastruct. My original scratch-build is in pieces now as I robbed the wheels from it to complete the cast version.

I would love to see any photos of that thing before you took it apart. Did you wind up sourcing 8 of the Panther?

So maybe there is a tinge of red in there... as there should be. This is a great reason to write down all of your research and keep it in one place. The color match for the remote and Falcon panels is Floquil Freight Car Brown. The label in the picture reads 110175 SO. FREIGHT CAR BRN. The one next to it is Testors Rust.

paint.jpg

EDIT: Fixed it.

Last edited:

Here is that 2 part mold I accidentally made way back when.
2partmold.jpg

These two duplicates were the only good casts I got from that one... but theres a bag of one part versions... somewhere.

Here is the best of what I will no longer be using:
cast.jpg

This way my first ever attempt at making a mold with rtv rubber and casting in resin. In hindsight, my molds we're too sloppy. I should have used a thinner double sided tape as I would almost always have too much resin. These tiny parts are really quite a pain to cast, but I was satisfied with the results. The molds look terrible now, they seem to have accumulated much dust and bits of cardboard.

Last edited:

I would love to see any photos of that thing before you took it apart. Did you wind up sourcing 8 of the Panther?

Got about three kits, did lameass casts of the rest. I'll have to dig up pics. By today's standards, they're pretty embarassing!

Didn't take long! But this is as good as it gets. Everything else is 35mm prints!

Remote001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Besides BrundelFly, I don't think I've ever actually seen another build. Looking good; nice and clean.:thumbsup

I have slowly been tweaking the panels on my remote until they are just right. My equatorial panels may be ever so slightly too tall. But my remote is a bit less irregular than the original so I don't think I am able to replicate exactly what I am seeing from the reference without peeling one off and gluing it off center from the hemisphere seem. Regardless, I'm not starting over. I've got the day off tomorrow... the kit parts are going on.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back