"2001" style helmets in "War in Space", "Titan Find" and other TV and movies

For the RPF record: http://www.globaleffects.com/B_02_frameset.html

Global Effects did most of the movie Space Suits including Star Trek First Contact, but not the helmet (Why?!)

Thanks for the link!!

Here's another shot of the IBM suit...

IBM_suit_hi.jpg

spacesuitmaquette.jpg

I rather liked the SUNSHINE suits! (loved the film BTW with a few nitpicks). Reminded me of the Invader from the Twilight Zone. :lol

I agree, this has to be one of the best spacesuits designed in a sci-fi movie, primarily because of how bulky it looks. You can actually feel how heavy it is when you look at it during this scene (SPOILER WARNING FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT SEEN THE MOVIE. If you haven't seen it, don't watch the clip. Go out and rent "Sunshine". If you like "2001: A Space Odyssey", the remake of "Solaris" and many other thinking man's sci-fi, this is right up your alley. Plus, this is directed by Danny Boyle and written by Alex Garland, the duo behind "28 Days Later", so you can't go wrong with it).

Funny little trivia tidbit about the design of the suit: The suit itself was modeled after the character of Kenny from "South Park". :D

What do those buttons say? It's driving me crazy. Stupid eyesight.

Wow! Great question. That information OUGHT to be out there somewhere (didn't Kubrick or the prop makers DOCUMENT this stuff photographically?! :lol)

Blu Ray grabs would be the only way to go on this, but tragically I do not have that capability yet. So I had to blow up the previously posted grab

keypadlabels.jpg

The button that Dullea punches OUGHT to say something like, "VISOR POLARIZE", but I can't quite make it out.

Thanks for that, Karl. :thumbsup

Oh, and Karl, you better find out what that other button says otherwise Dave might get angry...

angrydave.jpg

Last edited:
Although most of the 2001 sets and props were destroyed, a few pieces did get reused (or perhaps they were fan copies). For example a Discovery suit chest pack shows up as set dressing on the Jagaroth spaceship in the Tom Baker Doctor Who episode "City of Death".

I think the backpack shows up as set dressing in the first episode of Blakes 7. Both of these are British productions, and 2001 was filmed in England.

k

Some great info here.. The 'over the shoulder' hard-casing for the oxygen pipework seen on the UFO suit was based on a real-world suit developed by ILC for the Apollo program. I never really liked it - it looked a litle ungainly.

I used to think that a hinge-down visor wouldn't work for space - but there are plenty of real-world examples there too.

I'd love to see someone build Ron Cobbs design for an emergency suit as seen in the 'book of Alien' - that's always looked pretty neat.

Re: the 2001 IBM arm keypad - I would agree that they're likely to be 'old skool' computer commands, not unlike those seen on the Apollo dis-key pad.

Another great suit is one I remember from Stargate SG1, which was a hard-suit, with eccentric ring joints and a 'door' entry system at the back. They must be prop-hires, since I've seen them in other things...

Wow! Great question. That information OUGHT to be out there somewhere (didn't Kubrick or the prop makers DOCUMENT this stuff photographically?! :lol)

Blu Ray grabs would be the only way to go on this, but tragically I do not have that capability yet. So I had to blow up the previously posted grab

keypadlabels.jpg

The button that Dullea punches OUGHT to say something like, "VISOR POLARIZE", but I can't quite make it out.

OMG Ive been looking for this thread since august. I just now found another image with the words on the buttons and I believe the button he's pushing says "TEST ALARM" And instead of ERASE, it says CLEAR.

Some food for thought.

The helmets looked much heavier in the actual film but the poster artwork and supporting art created a more streamlined look.

Inspiration?

Chuck...

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back