AA case begins

It just seems to me that LFL should work out a fair licensing deal with AA and let the fans decide who to buy from.... :confused

Interesting! "...industrial design instead of works of art." Wow. This is going to be one very interesting case.

Question...anyone know that legal firm? Are they good, bad, cheap, high end?

Couple of key phrases i think, granted these might not be official quotes or anything and journalistic embelishment.

He then cast around for a designer to create them and the job fell to Ainsworth
Now as far as i'm aware a designer owns the rights to their designs unless under contract which as far as we've been told till now no contract existed for AA's work on the helmets other than bill of sales etc.

Lawyers for Lucasfilm will argue that there was an implied contract to produce the uniforms, which were in any case based on artwork which it provided

No court in the UK is going to listen to this "implied" contract claptrap there's either a contract or there isn't.
The second part of their case seems to rely on them being able to show that the product is from RM's artwork.

And lastly
The first 50 helmets I sold to him for £35 [$69.50] each

Well one thing about AA his stuff is definately consistantly expensive £35 a pop in 1976 wasn't cheap :lol

AAs woes are his own so please dont act like he's a victim. He's shown a pattern of dishonesty and false info and he had a chance to abck down from the LFL legal juggernaut but he decided to take them on.
No sympathy...if he gets ruined its due to his own hubris.
What? did he come round and kill your cat?
This is going to potentially ruin the guy, £10 Million should they decide for LFL will wipe him out and then some. i wouldnt wish that on anyone.

It just seems to me that LFL should work out a fair licensing deal with AA and let the fans decide who to buy from.... :confused

I second that! After all AA is/was a pro in the business and knows how to manufacture stuff.
Licensees like DP or Rubies even had access to the archives or at least were supported by LFL-folks and we all know what they were able to come up with...

If LFL would make AA products official, his pricepolicy would propably go in a more acceptable direction, which would result in a nice cashflow for both of them. And isn't that exactly what all this muscleplay is about (in the end) ... ?

Dont see the economic logic. AA is VERY high priced now WITHOUT paying the high LFL licensing fees. Imagine what his stuff would cost if he was forking over LFLs cut...he's charging huge money now on a product of dubious pedigree and very little manufacturing cost...needless to say that if he was a licensee his prices would REALLY be out of the ball park....

I didnt say he was innocent, i'm not backing him or fighting in his corner. As a customer i felt completey ripped off at the time and phoned him up and told him so. I also understand he has put himself in this position but i think to wish him to be 'smoked like a kipper' is a bit harsh. A firm C and D and all molds handed over should suffice, not a total wipe out of a mans life.
There are many people in this community that actually applaud his 'gumption' even if they dont agree with his method or like his products and i'm guessing there are a fair few people actually pleased with the stuff they got from him.
I'm sure the sly old dog has something up his sleeve though.
we shall have to wait and see if his kipper does indeed get smoked

AAs woes are his own so please dont act like he's a victim. He's shown a pattern of dishonesty and false info and he had a chance to abck down from the LFL legal juggernaut but he decided to take them on.
No sympathy...if he gets ruined its due to his own hubris.

I didnt say he was innocent, i'm not backing him or fighting in his corner. As a customer i felt completey ripped off at the time and phoned him up and told him so. I also understand he has put himself in this position but i think to wish him to be 'smoked like a kipper' is a bit harsh. A firm C and D and all molds handed over should suffice, not a total wipe out of a mans life.
There are many people in this community that actually applaud his 'gumption' even if they dont agree with his method or like his products and i'm guessing there are a fair few people actually pleased with the stuff they got from him.
I'm sure the sly old dog has something up his sleeve though.
we shall have to wait and see if his kipper does indeed get smoked
He was issued a C&D as far as I know. He ignored it. The guy is a recaster and a liar. The trooper experts here will point to many differences between his helmets from "original" molds and actual original helmets. No one is denying he was the vac former, but that may have been as far as his contribution actually went. He is trying to claim they are his sculpts, among other things.

Nah, toss him onto the fire.

If AA gets tossed in the fire then so should every trooper armor maker. It's hypocritical that there are dozens of armor and helmet makers, blatantly and openly selling their wares on eBay, and yet he who actually was involved in the making of the stuff (no matter to what degree even if he just "laid hands on" the stuff, he was there) is getting the brunt of the attack.

LFL just hates the fact this guy has some pedigree and his stuff is way more accurate than the licensed products that are put out. If anything it's more Rubies and MR pushing to have LFL "smoke his kipper" than probably even LFL itself because up against their stuff there is no comparison.

They are talking about it on Slashdot now too: http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/04/08/005248&from=rss

Frankly I hope he wins, if anything to knock the LFL empire down on it's butt for once. They have screwed around with the fans, the collectors and others and if there is any company who has been playing fast and loose with "a pattern of dishonesty and false info" it's LFL and its licensees (Rubies or Don Post off originals? Some MR pieces exactly from the originals? Oh really?) To me AA did nothing more with his advertising, and was actually more "honest," than the majority of licensed makers out there and their bloated claims.

EDIT: And if it's true that LFL didn't have a true and written contract and, like many production companies trying to do things to cut costs and "on the side", then they have no one else to blame but themselves.

Last edited:
Pass the popcorn!

It's going to be interesting to say the very least where this goes!

Now as far as i'm aware a designer owns the rights to their designs unless under contract which as far as we've been told till now no contract existed for AA's work on the helmets other than bill of sales etc.

I work as an industrial designer and I can tell you that a designer doesn't own anything that he works on ever.
Every job where I've worked full time I've had to sign a confidentiality agreement. When I worked freelance once I got paid for the work it was no longer mine and now the companies property.

I wish him good luck, i spoke breifly to him at a con a while ago, seemed a nice guy,regardless of whatever marketing claims he's made, he is the guy who put the helmets as we know them together, how much or how little input he had in the sculpt and or moulds we just don't know, but to me, he has a lot more credit due to him, than some on here and elsewere have given him.

I work as an industrial designer and I can tell you that a designer doesn't own anything that he works on ever.
Every job where I've worked full time I've had to sign a confidentiality agreement. When I worked freelance once I got paid for the work it was no longer mine and now the companies property.

But where do you work, USA or UK? That is the big issue in the whole legal battle as apparently the way things are handled in the UK is different from the USA.

I'll tell you one thing, I think we're all learning just how incredibly complex and tricky legal cases can be and why they take so darn long to even get through something like this let alone SCO vs IBM vs Novell or Microsoft vs Apple type cases!!

I wish him good luck, i spoke breifly to him at a con a while ago, seemed a nice guy,regardless of whatever marketing claims he's made, he is the guy who put the helmets as we know them together, how much or how little input he had in the sculpt and or moulds we just don't know, but to me, he has a lot more credit due to him, than some on here and elsewere have given him.
Okay then, should we also kowtow to the Gaffers who worked on ANH? How about the Best Boy?

I'll tell you one thing, I think we're all learning just how incredibly complex and tricky legal cases can be and why they take so darn long to even get through something like this let alone SCO vs IBM vs Novell or Microsoft vs Apple type cases!!

I work in the US, and yeah UK law could be different. But I'd be suprised if they allowed someone in the UK to take a companies/or movie productions proprietary designs then turn around to sell the exact same item and make a profit off of it.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back