AA case begins

Did anyone else notice that in the photos Brian posted, the belt piece is actually wrapped around his knee?

I wonder is this was accidental, or if the belt piece as we know it was originally intended to be on the leg?

Yes I did. I just thought it was another knee piece and may have been modified later. Also the hand plates are totally different. No corregated straps for the chest and back (like the santroopers) and no left knee piece.

I also wondered if the grey and blue paint was intended to be on the helmet and ab piece originally or if after this screen test it was essential to add the colours as the suit and helmet details wash out being to white.

Chris

It's very difficult to get an exact timeline. IMO this is a suit that was made at Elstree. The back of the helmet shows that it is not one that was vac formed by Ainsworth.

Brian

A big thanks for those pics Brian.:thumbsup

whats the difference your talking about with the back of the helmet being different to Ainsworths?It`s cool to think there was helmets made at Elstree too.

Cheers,
Ben

Did anyone else notice that in the photos Brian posted, the belt piece is actually wrapped around his knee?

I wonder is this was accidental, or if the belt piece as we know it was originally intended to be on the leg?

Perhaps they thought it was too overpowering size wise, because the same detail is on the right leg of the Han and Luke armor in ANH just smaller.

Those pictures without the belt look more Mcquarrie like, but my eyes think you have to have the belt!

I think it is time to put Brian together with efx and Lucas and put this to rest with licensed armor.

Whether it's TEs or whoever's, Brians looks better.

Anyone see this at Macy's this year. How does this make you feel Brian :lol?

I think it is time to put Brian together with efx and Lucas and put this to rest with licensed armor.

Before anybody gets the wrong idea this comment isn't about AA/SDS this is about the comment above by Stormy320.

Lucasfilm can moan all it wants about unlicensed armour (from any makers) and people making money from their intellectual property yet are reluctant to put anything on the shelves even remotely like what was seen on screen for the fans.

Have they seen the Rubies armour? :sick

Why not just get any company wanting to make a licensed ANH stormtrooper into the Lucasfilm archive. Grab any of the many full sets of original ANH armour off the shelves copy them and finally put us out of our misery. It can't be that hard can it? :angel

Chris

It's very difficult to get an exact timeline. IMO this is a suit that was made at Elstree. The back of the helmet shows that it is not one that was vac formed by Ainsworth.

Brian

Thanks Brian so you're saying someone else made the helmet in this test would that have been the elstree guys or someone else working elsewhere ?
Did you get to see this helmet up close personally or just in the test footage ?
If you did see it in person i would assume you could tell if it was vac formed white plastic of some kind or painted HDPE.
Thanks again for answering these questions :thumbsup

With all the negativity this case has bought it's great some positive stuff has come out of it too like Liz and yourself finally getting the credit you deserve and all the new little bits of the story coming to light :)

I didn't think there was any ANH armor left?

Theres actually 7 sets and 5 helmets.I wish efx would get hold of them and cast them too.Someone should anyway,then we would finally have 100% accurate ANH armor.That just has a better ring to it than reverse engineered ROTJ armor.:$

Brian I would love to know what that test helmet consists of and whether it made it to the screen.

Ben

Theres actually 7 sets and 5 helmets.I wish efx would get hold of them and cast them too.Someone should anyway,then we would finally have 100% accurate ANH armor.That just has a better ring to it than reverse engineered ROTJ armor.:$

Brian I would love to know what that test helmet consists of and whether it made it to the screen.

Ben

I don't think we'll ever see an official accurate set of armour produced for the same reason MR didn't produce an accurate helmet it's not seen as a commercially viable venture.
Whilst there would be niche customers like a lot of us here that would love a 100% totally accurate kit with all the little nuances and all the right materials your average Joe doesn't see all these things on the screen and wants something perfect for their money and the idea is to produce and shift stock as quickly as possible.

Even if it was cast from the original armor, but cleaned up...that would be great. The stuff that is available, as good as it is, always looks a little wonky or something.

So - if Lucas has ANH suits, why didn't they use them in Empire or ROTJ. The ones in ROTJ don't look as cool. Right?

Even if it was cast from the original armor, but cleaned up...that would be great. The stuff that is available, as good as it is, always looks a little wonky or something.

So - if Lucas has ANH suits, why didn't they use them in Empire or ROTJ. The ones in ROTJ don't look as cool. Right?

It's supposed to be wonky the originals were wonky what's the point in copying an original piece and cleaning it up would you straighten up the smile on the Mona Lisa ?
Suits from ANH were used in Empire i presume by the time Jedi was made what was left was pretty bashed about and not really usable in a production plus there are a lot more troopers in Jedi :thumbsup

I think you misunderstood me.

I'm enough of a fan to understand the "wonky"ness of the originals.

I have not seen any "garage" armor that looks as good as the armor in ANH. If you disagree, I would love to see some great "garage" armor.

Now, I've been around long enough to know there is good "garage" armor, but I think improvements can be made.

Hi Gino,

This is definitely the suit I sculpted and the way I like to remember it. None of the extra details had been added at this stage - or the gun!

Screen test shots taken Elstree Studios 15th March 76.

stormtrooperandR2D2.jpg

stormtrooper.jpg

Those are grabs from footage. Note the interlacing.

Looks to be the footage that is seen in Empire of Dreams.

Wonder if LFL has it? The R2 stuff was seen in the above...

Thanks for posting them, Brian. :)

I don't think we'll ever see an official accurate set of armour produced for the same reason MR didn't produce an accurate helmet it's not seen as a commercially viable venture.
Whilst there would be niche customers like a lot of us here that would love a 100% totally accurate kit with all the little nuances and all the right materials your average Joe doesn't see all these things on the screen and wants something perfect for their money and the idea is to produce and shift stock as quickly as possible.

I absolutely agree with you. The commercial realities are that there just arent enough people prepared to pay the kind of price they'd need to charge in order to turn a decent profit.

Most fans are happy with something 90% correct, hell if Rubies could have got to that figure I would have been impressed. The company Museum Replicas has the rights to do armour now but following the recent review of the Iron Man helmet from them I really dont think we should set our hopes up.

As you know I was involved in the MR stormtrooper helmet project and was very pleased with my input in making it as accurate as possible given the various constraints (including material, production, source moulds etc.) - however I dont think we'll ever see an ultra accurate licensed helmet (eg. materials, finish, appearance), let alone armour. I just dont think commercially the product "works".

Cheers

Jez

however I dont think we'll ever see an ultra accurate licensed helmet (eg. materials, finish, appearance), let alone armour. I just dont think commercially the product "works".

Cheers

Jez

Yeah I know.But dreams are free right?:cry

Regards,
Ben

Well there is one chance an "ultra accurate" version of the armor and helmet might come out, as a very special exclusive. While I wouldn't (and likely couldn't) buy into it, how many people have bought very special exclusive variations on a product? Even with higher costs? Limited statues, plates, props, etc. that have runs of like 50, or 100 or whatever but are much higher in price are pretty common now. Look at Sideshows exclusives as an example. If a company like eFX ramps up enough or even Rubies there is always that possibility they will take that route if they see it worthwhile enough or if they get a secondary exclusive investor like another licensee such as Sideshow or even some exclusive retailer like Don Post did with Spencer's Gifts.

So. hope can spring eternal, right? :)

Well there is one chance an "ultra accurate" version of the armor and helmet might come out, as a very special exclusive. While I wouldn't (and likely couldn't) buy into it, how many people have bought very special exclusive variations on a product? Even with higher costs? Limited statues, plates, props, etc. that have runs of like 50, or 100 or whatever but are much higher in price are pretty common now. Look at Sideshows exclusives as an example. If a company like eFX ramps up enough or even Rubies there is always that possibility they will take that route if they see it worthwhile enough or if they get a secondary exclusive investor like another licensee such as Sideshow or even some exclusive retailer like Don Post did with Spencer's Gifts.

So. hope can spring eternal, right? :)

Yup, just look at the Sideshow Bronze Vader statue, etc. I think and hope someday some limited exclusive offer of accurate armour may happen. Let's think positive about this happening and perhaps someday it will! And if it does I definitely think Mr. Muir should be involved in some way, maybe as a consultant.

I don't see how any of sideshows stuff could be called accurate everything they and every other licensed company i can think of produce is idealized to a degree, there are maybe a few exceptions you could count on one hand but nothing as complex as a full suit of armour.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back