Blake's 7 prop replicas?

So - Liberator handguns. The clear plastic rings bit. Is some kind person going to tell me what they were made of... I have a plan to make my own, but it is complicated and probably going to end in disaster for humanity!

It's clear acrylic sheet - I think i used 5mm
either drill the rings out then lots of filing
and sanding. Final sanding with wet and dry.
Then silver polish. . .
Or get the rings CNC'd still lots of filing etc.
Good luck!

Is that what Martin Bower did for the rings, or did he use an off the shelf part which is no longer available ?

Martin didn't make the liberator handgun - obviuosly he made
many other props for B7. I know the handle was off the shelf
But im not sure about the acrylic.

ok thanks, I'll go for my plan B first, which involves some rubber rings and some casting - this is doomed to failure, but the part of my brain associated with evaluating plans is only a minor parter in the decision making process, the "I have a crazy plan" part is pretty much in the driving seat AND the voice on the satnav :)

EDIT
Oh yes the handles - I've seen a few options, can anyone give me a clue about the best one to choose?

Ah, I thought he made the gun as well.
Carving them from acrylic just seems a very labour intensive way for a prop shop make these parts that's why I was wondering if it was a found or bought in part.

Martin didn't make the liberator handgun - obviuosly he made
many other props for B7. I know the handle was off the shelf

Ah, I thought he made the gun as well.
Carving them from acrylic just seems a very labour intensive way for a prop shop make these parts that's why I was wondering if it was a found or bought in part.

When I first looked, I thought maybe it was part of a lamp or lighting of some kind (perhaps something available in the 70's?) - I had hoped to spot something in car parts or similar, but no luck so far.

Bit of a long shot but you can buy solid wooden curtain rings that size, have they ever been sold in clear plastic ? I had a quick look online but it's a massive range to search through.

With work on my bracelets on-hold (before there's panic : for only a short time! I finally sourced a closer Perspex match for the buttons, and this is being laser-cut for me this week), I've started on my Federation troopers rifle.

And as with the bracelets, I did one.. and then another appeared. And then another...

three_muzzles.jpg

Handles and arm-rest-thing for these will also be laser-cut :D

looking good!

With work on my bracelets on-hold (before there's panic : for only a short time! I finally sourced a closer Perspex match for the buttons, and this is being laser-cut for me this week), I've started on my Federation troopers rifle.

And as with the bracelets, I did one.. and then another appeared. And then another...

three_muzzles.jpg

Handles and arm-rest-thing for these will also be laser-cut :D

Hi Nestene!
Both those blasters and bracelets are looking good!

Oh, and if anyone is still after the Horizon Technical Manuals, they are still available though Diane at the club. I gave up trying to find any pdf's on the net, so I bought all 4 volumes. (Just thought I'd mention it!)

Rich

So, Scorpio Clipguns - how big should they be?

I made a rough cutout based on the tech manual "actual size" picture and it is a little on the large side. It fits my big hands quite snugly, mind you, but it would be too big for the average person.

Does anyone have a ruler measurement of either an original gun, or of Glynis Barber's hand (for comparison)?

I know the handle was off the shelf

I remember reading that it was from a Black & Decker power tool. It looks to be a second grip from a drill, but I'm not sure.

I read an interview with Martin Bower once where he said that the original design for the Teleport Bracelets was for them to be in an oval shape. This was so that they would fit around the wrist better. But then it was decided that it would be too expensive to make them that way.

Davi.

I remember reading that it was from a Black & Decker power tool. It looks to be a second grip from a drill, but I'm not sure.

Davi.

That's a good lead for me! Hope it is something still being manufactured... what's the betting it was discontinued though

Be warned, Black & Decker have been making drills for a long time and there's a lot of pictures of them out there (people also do some surprising things with them if you have Google Safe Search switched off). I've spent a lot of time trawling through and haven't yet come across the right model.

That's a good lead for me! Hope it is something still being manufactured... what's the betting it was discontinued though

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back