Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle RESTORATION (Leonardo Lives!)

Thanks for all the kind words!

This was an amazing project and an intensive restoration but extremely satisfying to have this out of a box and on a proper display.

They were, and probably always will be, one of the best animatronic suits ever made.
What kind of work was needed for the shell, as it used to house the servo gear , no? or was that all stripped when the suit was originally bought?

I agree, they were extremely effective characters in the film.

As for the shell, this appears to have been a "fighting" shell, which means solid polyfoam (and overall condition was pretty good considering).

Tom

that is a great job! I am glad to see that some TMNT costumes are still out there in one piece.

I had just seen Donatello at the Seattle Science Fiction Museum. He was in pretty good shape too, but similar to Leo, he has some cracking. It would be nice to see him restored too :angel

that is a great job! I am glad to see that some TMNT costumes are still out there in one piece.

I had just seen Donatello at the Seattle Science Fiction Museum. He was in pretty good shape too, but similar to Leo, he has some cracking. It would be nice to see him restored too :angel

Thanks man!

I seem to recall hearing that the Don in the Sci-fi museum is from the third film... anyone know for sure?

The third film designs were slightly different from the first two (which were both by the Henson Creature Shop) but still very cool. A little more "saturated" color wise... almost an "amped up" version of the originals.

Tom

Great resto job! Is the headband original? It has a tinge of purple...

Each TMNT film actually had a different turtle design. The Henson crew did the first two films. Nearly all of the costume bits and pieces I've seen online are from the third film...

My all time favorite movie suit. Totally believeable, and very cool to watch. I was amazed how much movement tehy got out of those too!!

Great save, not only a benchmarch of suit design, but one of the last that Henson was around for!!

...I seem to recall hearing that the Don in the Sci-fi museum is from the third film... anyone know for sure?...

The description plaque on the Don did say it was from III.
2352756444_5b598b71db_b.jpg

How tall is Leo w/out the base?

I can't think of any words to say but WOW! Your skills and your talent are a gift that you were born with, its just amazing.

thanks again for the extremely kind words!

I'm so proud of this piece and, as always, it's great to have this sort of work appreciated!

Great resto job! Is the headband original? It has a tinge of purple...

Indeed it does have a tinge of purple! It's original though... it seems to have faded slightly purple over the nearly 20 years since it's use in the production. Sort of like the TOS blue starfleet costumes, many of which turned mauve over time.

Tom

******** thats amazing! Incredible stuff and a fine restoration job! If possible I too would like to see more pictures if you have any!!

Thanks soo much for sharing!

Thanks all. I've got one other picture I'm able to share. Jdebord has posted it over at his blog (which, BTW, is an excellent resource for collectors of original props).

The larger version can be seen on J's site: http://www.originalprop.com/blog/?p=1918

ninja-turtle-opb-exclusive-x425.jpg

As for there being more props from the film, it seems props from most Henson related projects are far and few between. The company was always quite careful about that sort of thing and it appears not many pieces have made their way into private collections.

best regards,
Tom

As for there being more props from the film, it seems props from most Henson related projects are far and few between. The company was always quite careful about that sort of thing and it appears not many pieces have made their way into private collections.
From what I've read over the years, Henson Co. only did the turtle suits and animatronics for the flims. ANY prop or costume from the first TMNT film is incredibly hard to find. I've been searching like mad for a food soldier hood/mask thing for YEARS, and I've come up with nothing.

From what I've read over the years, Henson Co. only did the turtle suits and animatronics for the flims. ANY prop or costume from the first TMNT film is incredibly hard to find. I've been searching like mad for a food soldier hood/mask thing for YEARS, and I've come up with nothing.

Good distinction and you're probably right with the Creature Shop's involvement being focused on the turtles (and splinter).

The Henson stuff's always been quite rare, though you're right... the other wardrobe and props from these films seem to be incrediby rare too!

best of luck in your search,
Tom

There are certainly distinct variations of the suits between movies. First ones being the best. The start looking sillier through 2 and 3. (3 had VERY noticable eyeslits below the bandana...)

Amazing.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back