Trek Pooltable Construction

JoeRalat

Trek Pooltable Construction

Hey All, I am making a pooltable, like the ones seen on the show. I wanted get your opinion on the material to make it. Also to see if anyone wants to cut the parts out. I think it would save me time if I had a professional cut it out for me. All I have to do is put it together.

What would be the best material for it. I am trying to keep coast down. But the fact is that this thing need to be painted and I do not want it to look cheep or have people see the grain from wood. I was thinking MDF. What would give the best result when painting and low on price.

I will have blueprints online soon. I am not making a super crazy design. Its very simple, so it should not be too hard to make.

Here is a photo of the graphic for the pooltable. Its a WIP. Will post a update soon and larger version.

VoyPool1.jpg

This sounds like a really cool idea!

Do you have any screen caps of the original table?

My buddy Gene and I are slowly working on a Stargate themed gaming table. It'll be round w/ the table top being the gate and event horizon, and have a converted, hexagonal fishtank stand as the pedastal, with the swooshlines and glyphs all over it.

-Sarge

MDF is very heavy. And kind of brittle if you don't laminate fomica over it. And would have worse grain then just an ordinary cabinet grade Birch ply.

I don't get it though.

How is this a pool table?

Last edited:
Do you have the DIY Network on your cable system? If so, search out this week's episode of Hammered with John and Jimmy Diresta (I just checked, and it's airing Friday night at 9pm). They're going to be building a pool table and it should be very informative.

If you don't get that channel, here's a link to the DIY Network site page for the show where it gives a materials list and some instructions about building the pool table. I'm sure that you'll be able to adapt what's there to fit your design.

Good luck.

Yeah that is also another issue, Weight. I need to transport this around. So a light weight would be needed as well.

I know that you made the Kirk's Chair, you made it with birch ply? You have any high rez photos of painted birch? My biggest fear is the paint result.

MDF is very heavy. And kind of brittle if you don't laminate fomica over it. And would have worse grain then just an ordinary cabinet grade Birch ply.

I don't get it though.

Yes the Kirk Chair kit are Birch Ply. I also worked in the cabinet business for 17 years.

Birch ply is lighter than MDF but more expensive. Also nice and flat.

A good couple coats of sealer under the paint and a good sanding between (without sanding it off) final paint will hide 99 percent of the grain.

I was thinking that most of the table would be 1/4 MDF. The top would be 2 1in sheets. I will be posting blueprints soon, so yo can get a better idea.

I don't get it though.

Yes the Kirk Chair kit are Birch Ply. I also worked in the cabinet business for 17 years.

Birch ply is lighter than MDF but more expensive. Also nice and flat.

A good couple coats of sealer under the paint and a good sanding between (without sanding it off) final paint will hide 99 percent of the grain.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back