Studio Scale Y-Wing

Truely a piece of art ... It looks like being stolen from Magic of Myth or anything like it. For me this one is a 100% perfect job on the whole thing . Do you consider a tutorial ? Would be too cool :)

Philip

Got my Y-Wing case home tonight (lots 'o' plexiglass goodness.) and snapped some pics to share. Forgive the cheesy, wrinkled backdrop, I was too excited to get the pics to worry about ironing the sheet.

This is one BIG HUGE freakin' case - the 1st pic has a dollar bill for scale.

Enjoy...

ycase1.jpg

ycase2.jpg

ycase3.jpg

ycase4.jpg

ycase5.jpg

Thanks Wackychimp..

I planning a Y-Wing build myself- I'd be interested to know what paint colors and weathering techniques you used as well.

Bravo.

Mark

Dan, come on, fess up. How did you manage to get into the archives and swipe one of their Y-Wings without getting caught?

You, Sir are a steely eyed missileman. :thumbsup :eek :thumbsup

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EchoLeader @ May 3 2006, 10:17 AM) [snapback]1237440[/snapback]</div>
You, Sir are a steely eyed missileman. :thumbsup :eek :thumbsup
[/b]

Had to jump in and give props for the great Apollo 13 quote.

-M

Very impressive all around, Dan.

Thanks also for sharing the secret of your low-angle shot in Post #20. :thumbsup

Thanks for the props guys. I'm so relieved this project is done. It was a labor of love for sure, but I'm happy to be moving on to the next big project (studio scale sandcrawler).

As for the paint scheme - it's quite involved and required alot of color experimentation. Pure grays ended up too "cool" so a few light layers of color (grays and buff colors) were needed to get the right tone. Used floquil paints exclusively, except for the primer, which was Krylon dark gray. I tried to match as best I could the markings and weathering of the variant commonly called the "yellow" or "gold" Y-Wing.

Weathering was done in 4 stages...

Overall wash in umber and sienna oils
Spot washes, some darker and some with a more rust color
Airbrush shading and blast marks, mostly in grimy black (interesting side note: not a drop of pure black paint is used anywhere on the bird)
Pastels/pigments for finer blast marks, scorching, and general filth and dirtiness.

It was a ton of fun to paint. The toughest part was the cockpit and nacelle markings (ie masking off compound curves is always nasty).

Watch out for the next issue of SF&FM - more details in there. Also, at the request of alot of guys I'm pulling together a detailed paint guide - more to come on that later.

Thanks again..
Dan

I'm not a big Y fan so I've been quiet about this, sorry. Incredible job, Dan. Simply incredible. So many have tried to build this and so few have succeeded. Having worked on my own "impossible" studio-scale project for nearly 8 years now, I can truly appreciate all you went through to get this done. Hats off to you. :D

If you like I'll be happy to create a gallery for you on my site. And I also want to tackle a Sandcrawler so let me know if I can help. . .

:)

Now thats what the Y is suppose to look like. Guys, Dan had a huge impact on the MR Y Wing as he built the entire head essembly. He really nailed it. Great Job Dan.

fantastic there are truley gifted arstist here on this board.

Steve

Amazing work, the colors are beautiful.

I can't weather for crap...

I'd still like to commission you to build one up if you have the time ;-)

JV

Hey guys...

For those who asked for a tutorial on how I finished this Y-Wing... I finally got it written and posted... here you go..

http://www.starshipbuilder.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1266

MANY THANKS to Charles Adams (aka star-art) for kindly hosting it on his site :thumbsup :thumbsup

Because the article is in the "Features" section, you need to be a member to get to it... but then again, who isnt already a member of starshipbuilder.com??? :eek

Feel free to post questions and comments over on the site.

1138, or anyone else,

How long are the plastruct T's supposed to be? I'm working on my own Y and I'm not sure how much to order- I'd just like to know the exact length each of the Ts gets cut. Thanks for any help on this.

Mark

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back