Imperial Shuttle Tydirium

Laser Brain

Sr Member
Hi guys,

I've set myself the task of trying to build a studio scale Tydirium. Thing is, I can only work on it one day a week and I have eight weeks to finish it. Therefore, it is unlikely to be 100% accurate, but I'm going to try and get it as close as I can.

I have some of the kits that I need (Leopold, Morser Karl, 20mm Flakvierling, 1:20 F1 Tyrell, Tamiya 1/35 (8Rad) Sdkfz 232) but don't rcognise anything else on the model.

This is the end of week one (day one). I have built and partially detailed the dorsal wing. The side wings have been partially built and detailed.

6650590.jpeg

6689041.jpeg

6709996.jpeg

Cheers

Neil

Hi guys,

I've set myself the task of trying to build a studio scale Tydirium. Thing is, I can only work on it one day a week and I have eight weeks to finish it. Therefore, it is unlikely to be 100% accurate, but I'm going to try and get it as close as I can.
I have some of the kits that I need (Leopold, Morser Karl, 20mm Flakvierling, 1:20 F1 Tyrell, Tamiya 1/35 (8Rad) Sdkfz 232) but don't rcognise anything else on the model.

Cheers

Neil

Looks like a great start so far!
BUT may i ask why you are in such a 'hurry' in building this baby? I mean, setting up such a relatively close schedule (about 8 days) for a project like this, will probably result in a good number of compromises.
And as you are even going to use authentic kit parts, it would be a pity not to go the Dead-On-Route.
Especially since there is a good amount of ref-pics from diverse exhibits.
Don't get me wrong - just my thoughts...

It's so nice to see someone do an accurate Imp Shuttle!
I used to adore the Airfix kit that came out late '83, but could never figure out why the cockpit was so drooped down.....i later realised they must have used the pics/blueprints of the partial full size shuttle which has a distinctly nose down quality when compared to the ILM miniatures.

......seemed to have rambled on a wee bit......

Kudos on some stunning work sir!

Rich

Fantastic work on that ship. The Shuttle is after the falcon my most beloved ship. I'm very interessted in your progress too and hope you will offer it as kit or complete version in the future.:thumbsup

yodasan,
A kit? I'm not sure it will be accurate enough to be worthwhile. I'll have to see how I get on.

Stilgar,
I agree. However, my degree ends on May 9th. I want to get it in my end of year show and I have a much more important project running along side which eats 4 days a week. If my fiance will give me a pass for a couple of weekends (yeah right) then I'll work on it some more :)

GKvfx,
That'll be the dichloromethane.

Thanks everyone.

Hey Neil, awesome job so far !

Do you plan to motorize the wings and light the model ?

Be careful bout the kitparts though, some (like the flak38 shields) were copied and scratchbuilt at a bigger scale, so if you use them on your model they will be too small or if you used them to scale up your model, your model will be too small.

Cant wait to see more ! 8 weeks will be very short ! Good luck :thumbsup

Thanks for that. I have the flak38 shields and realised they were too small and didn't quite match. I have been looking for another gun with larger shields. :rolleyes

These Leopold parts were original, I hope?

9555209.jpeg

I plan on lights but no motors.

Be careful bout the kitparts though, some (like the flak38 shields) were copied and scratchbuilt at a bigger scale

Hey Neil,

Yeah I think they used those original Leo parts.

As for the shield, they are just cut sheet styrene with styrene strips, easy to do !

Cool for the lights !

What did you use to do the armarture of the wings ? Looks like wood ? Is that balsa ?

The wing armature is made from a medium density styling board - the same type I used to make my Roadster patterns. I am trying to use only my left over materials.

N

Hi guys,

I found a little time this afternoon to work on the shuttle.

I found some Tamiya German 20mm Flak38 (MIT Sd.Ah.51) parts that I used to scale up part of the side wings. I still need to refine some of the edges and identify the remaining part for this panel. It looks like some kind of tow rope spool. I'm not sure.

7593321.jpeg

I started detailing the front recess of the dorsal wing too with what I believe are the correct parts (Morser Karl and Tamiya 20mm FLAKVIERLING):

7739546.jpeg

I don't currently have any reference for the top. My reference for the rear is mostly in shadow. I'm going to have to leave those blank for the time being.

The 'cog' parts for the wing mechanism will be laser cut next week along with an acrylic internal support structure for the body which will also house part of the mech and batteries.

N

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back