Aliens Stasis Tube

Thats the GI JOE version I mentioned.
I made that.

It was gonna be a kit...

Anyways...the hugger has since been replaced in it with that Japanese one. Really nice.

Originally posted by SurferGeek@Mar 13 2006, 06:45 PM
I remember this being posted here.  Always loved the idea of a small sized version.  Not sure who did it 'tho.

jstasis8.jpg

[snapback]1204848[/snapback]​

Originally posted by BrundelFly@Mar 13 2006, 02:32 PM
I made that.

It was gonna be a kit...

Anyways...the hugger has since been replaced in it with that Japanese one. Really nice.

What price point were you shooting for on this small version kit? I don't have the funds or the room for a 1:1 version.

I had another version also that was bigger.
About 11 inches high.

I dont sell either of them right now..if there was enough interest I would.

OH, re: PRICE for a full size, the acrylic ALONE will be about 450 to 500.

My tube has a translucent bottom glued on. Same glue used in fish tanks.

I was gonna make a STASIS KIT...including metal parts..it was gonna run about 1000 to 1500k Lights hugger and everything.

Frank

Originally posted by SurferGeek+Mar 13 2006, 09:38 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SurferGeek @ Mar 13 2006, 09:38 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-BrundelFly
@Mar 13 2006, 02:32 PM
I made that.

It was gonna be a kit...

What price point were you shooting for on this small version kit? I don't have the funds or the room for a 1:1 version.
[snapback]1204982[/snapback]​
[/b]

Originally posted by Lifehost@Mar 13 2006, 08:18 PM
You could even make it jerk around when someone went near the tube... I don't exactly know how this would be possible, but I'm just throwing out ideas here, haha.  Imagine your new GF going up to the tube... JUMPS RIGHT AT HER.. AHH..

One question... what would be the best facehugger to buy?  There are a few on ebay, one good one is the "CretureFX" one.  Can anyone attest as to the quality of it, and how good it would look in a tube?  Also, how does the finish on the facehugger not come off in the liquid?  Is it some special liquid, or a special finish on the model itself?
[snapback]1204914[/snapback]​

It depends on what size stasis tube you want to build.

And if you use the Kenner facehugger and make a similar sized stasis tube, you don't have to worry about the finish. If you plan on doing a 1:1 version, there is a liquid epoxy that you can brush over it after it's been painted. This epoxy finish is waterproof...same thing is used on bar tops.
I made a 1:1 stasis tube using parts bought a few years ago through a group purchase, it's not cheap or easy.

tube_1.jpg

I agree with the estimate of the acrylic tube and the price for the whole kit. We tried to get a group order on the AL, and it just was too costly.
My design should stay under $100.
I have been searching for the right glass vase for a long time. Once I found the size I went to the hardware store and matched it up to PVC pieces. Nice part about the vase is that it will not leak out the bottom. The ring parts are a pressboard material, I need to replace them with metal or plastic.
The 5 inch vase does not fit the pvc without a lot of grinding, so although the cost is low on this one, the labor is pretty high.

On a side note, I was at the Halloween and Costume convention in Chicago today. One of the things that caught my eye was a Glow in the dark bubble machine. My first thought was to see if I can get a gallon of the stuff to fill the tube. It is glow in the dark soapwater.

I already have glow paint in the bottom, so it casts an earie glow with the lights out :eek

Originally posted by joeranger@Mar 13 2006, 03:46 PM
tube_1.jpg

I agree with the estimate of the acrylic tube and the price for the whole kit. We tried to get a group order on the AL, and it just was too costly.
My design should stay under $100.
I have been searching for the right glass vase for a long time. Once I found the size I went to the hardware store and matched it up to PVC pieces. Nice part about the vase is that it will not leak out the bottom. The ring parts are a pressboard material, I need to replace them with metal or plastic.
The 5 inch vase does not fit the pvc without a lot of grinding, so although the cost is low on this one, the labor is pretty high.
[snapback]1205035[/snapback]​

I thought it looked like a glass vase. I've seen that type at stores such as Pier 1 and other home decorating stores.

I would be great to see a tutorial using PVC and glass vases.

:thumbsup

Originally posted by Reaper57@Mar 13 2006, 04:12 AM
great looking. :thumbsup

here is a pic of my small hugger and my Wallyworld stasis chamber.

with bubbles and light. :)

john :cool
[snapback]1204569[/snapback]​

Okay. So I gotta know...how did you do this from stuff at Wally World?

if anyone can point me in the right direction about getting the clear acrilic tube, i think i can knock one of these out quite cheap.

Id made the bases out of the tube and foamex, then make a mold and cast them in resin and use paint effects to make it look like metal.

any sources for acrilic tubes in the uk?

That's why I'd like to see a tutorial using those large glass vases, MUCH cheaper. I've seen those vases in very large sizes, even big enough for a full sized hugger. Downside is that they will be fragile.

Found some excellent reference shots of what seems to be a screen-used stasis tube (displayed with a replica face hugger), available at one time from The Prop Store of London:

The Prop Store of London: Original Stasis Tube

Note the square light in the base, and the coiled electric cable.

Have any of the hardware parts been identified by those who recreated these tubes in the past? If so, please share.

And if not: What are we waitin' for? :love

I would love to see more details on the $100 build up.. where did you get the vase?

are there any worries to the water in the vase getting cloudy? or mildew forming?

World Market Link

The glass vases are not on the web site, but this is where I bought it.
They make bigger vases, but the PVC will be harder to find.
The vase has a 4.75'' OD. The PVC end cap and connector has an ID of 4.5'' so I had to grind out .25" of plastic. Since the screen accurate one is flush, it is important to get the vase and pvc to match as close as possible.

Originally posted by Funky Jedi+Mar 13 2006, 11:29 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Funky Jedi @ Mar 13 2006, 11:29 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Reaper57
@Mar 13 2006, 04:12 AM
great looking. :thumbsup

here is a pic of my small hugger and my Wallyworld stasis chamber.

with bubbles and light. :)

john :cool
[snapback]1204569[/snapback]​

Okay. So I gotta know...how did you do this from stuff at Wally World?
[snapback]1205067[/snapback]​
[/b]

Well ,

i went the cheap way, not accurate.. :angel

the jar is plastic and from Walmart houswares, it has a nice lab looking rubber seal and chrome latch. :D

i got a small aquar. air pump in the base, i made a loop of tubing and glued it to the inside bottom then poked holes in it with a pin, put a tee in it and went through the bottom to the pump,

then i stole the reflector from a large flashlight {3 " or so diam } and added a clear 10 watt bulb facing up. :p

added food color for effect.

now i think i have to try the vase method. :lol

I have had a few requests for source information for this.

Kenner Face hugger

4.5" x 13" glass vase from cost plus world market
3/8th zink plated steel rods
end caps, plus die to thread the rods
4" DWV Schedule 40 Coupling Genova 70140
4" Solvent Weld PVC DWV Schedule 40 Cap Genova 70154
Chrome paint, steel wool, brushes
Radioshack, toggle switches, leds, wire, ect...

This is not a snap together kit, a lot of grinding is needed to fit the pvc to the vase.

thanks Joeranger.

So is there only supposed to be one light facing up? or is there a light also in the top box?

and these just have straight water in them...no issues with clouding or things growing?

thanks again for the info..

Neil

From what I learned from assembling my 1:1 stasis tube, you can do a few things to help maintain water clarity.

-Use distilled water, it has more impurities filtered out of it, but algae and other lifeforms can and will grow in it.

-Add a few drops of bleach to the water. Will keep algae growth down, but no telling what it will do to any plastic placed in it.

-Use some of that "waterbed conditioned" fluid...the kind placed inside the matress. This is specificly designed to destroy any algae life inside. I have no idea how well this will work. It might be safer than using bleach?

-The easiest thing to do, drain out the water every few months and replace with fresh water.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back