Judge Minty- Judge Dredd world Fan Film Thread, Test Video link!!

CustomCreations

Sr Member
minty1.jpg

Dear all,

TEST CLIPS ONLINE HERE:::

Dont forget to see the rest of the thread !

http://www.judgeminty.com/minty.mov

http://www.judgeminty.com/minty.wmv

As some of you UK people may already know, I am (with the help of others) going to be involved with a Judge Dredd based Fan Film.

Recently, whilst showing my work at the UK's Monster Mash VFX show, I managed to persuade ( it was easy- he's a fan too!) an amazing Computer animator to join our crew, who has pushed our production to a new level. More on that later....

"The film will be based on Judge Minty, a character created by John Wagner and Mick McMahon. An aging Judge who is forced to 'retire' from the streets, mainly it seems because he has become too compassionate.

He chooses to take 'The Long Walk' into the Cursed Earth, there "to take law to the lawless". The film will be based around his first experiences in the radioactive wastes."

I'm hoping to use this thread as my principle source for feedback on my props, which are made especially for the production
. We've already set up Facebook and Myspace groups (see links below)

Here's a link to the Facebook Group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=9185465891

Here's a link to an amazing CG Lawmaster we will be using in some shots ( work in progress):
http://www.judgeminty.com/lawmaster.mov
further pics:

MintyHoldingPage.jpg

HelmetMINTY.jpg

LawgiverMINTY.jpg

Wish us luck!

2000ad, Judge Dredd and related properties are owned by Rebellion
www.rebellion.co.uk
2000ad's home online is at
www.2000adonline.com
2000ad review is an indipendant site
www.2000adreview.co.uk

Last edited:
Re: Judge Minty- Fan Film Thread, (props etc)

Wasn't Minty the portly guy who graduated Dredd? There was a scene where Dredd was having doubting his judgement and he was told to get boots a size too small to take his mind off it.
Just wondering, I've not read any Dredd or 2000AD for some time now.

HOpefully the main hurdle will be Rebellion being happy for us to do this.
We have been very public with our intentions so we dont appear to be going behind their back. We hope - read pray- they will be able to see the interest and potential the project will bring them and let us run with the idea ....

Wow, how cool is that?!!! :thumbsup Can't wait to see where this goes!

Btw, you might find some input and support at this location:
http://megacityjustice.yuku.com
It's a new forum, so traffic is low and it's a bit messy at the moment, but I'm sure things will pick up once everything gets squared away. ;)

Looks cool:thumbsup
Fan Films can be a big undertaking - I admire you for taking the big leap.

Name makes me laugh, not real tough sounding - maybe real fresh:lol (I know you guys did not name him) but still makes me thing of twins on a bike or the grinning orbit gum lady, or maybe an animated toothpaste character that fights plaque and gingivitises in your mouth. :)

Last edited:

Yes I have to admit on a personal level Minty isnt the ultimate name to run with but it does relate directly to the character so we are kind of stuck with it ;-)
Im trying to post a way to show off the show real of Steve, our CG guy.
He has a great folio comprising a Mega City , a Marine APC tank in persuit, etc etc etc, and it is movie quality- seriously. The link is up on Facebook ....................
We have three script writers banging ideas about, once that is finalised I can start building the relevant props !

Dan

Last edited:

HI,
Quick update on the Lawmaster we are going to use this as a CG interactive prop with green screen..........:love
lawmasterb.jpg

lawmasterd.jpg

I have recently completed a new live action prop but we have decided to hold back releasing the pics of it until we launch the first trailer, as its rather special.

Dan

Last edited:

Hi Dan!

I´m not that familiar with the Judge Dredd universe. I watched the movie when it came out 13 years ago and never felt the need to watch it again ever since, that´s it. So all I can give you is some general advice:

I can´t remember ever having seen a fanfilm that tried to tell a story with a more serious tone that didn´t turn out to be completely embarrassing. Bad screenplays, poor productions (camera work, cutting etc.) and most often acting that makes you want to scream.

First off you need a good screenplay, a story that is really worth spending your precious time and money to be told. Then you need actors, not only fans that like to dress up as their favorite character, but lack any acting talent.

I´m very confident that your props will look great, the helmet and gun already do. Honestly, the least thing I´m worried about on this project are the props.

The FX also look very promising. A number of fanfilms tried to copy the “FX in every shot” route from the prequels, most often with poor results. You say the FX work looks to be “movie quality”. If you can´t keep that quality in every shot, reduce the effect shots to the ones that are absolutely necessary to tell the story and make those as good as you can.

Keep up the good work, I´m looking forward to see a jaw dropping shortfilm from you.

Last edited by a moderator:

[your CGI guy has some mad skills...good luck with this...looking forward to it...
quote=CustomCreations;526509]HI,
Quick update on the Lawmaster we are going to use this as a CG interactive prop with green screen..........:love
lawmasterb.jpg

lawmasterd.jpg

I have recently completed a new live action prop but we have decided to hold back releasing the pics of it until we launch the first trailer, as its rather special.

Dan[/quote]

Re: Judge Minty- Judge Dredd world Fan Film Thread, updated 4th March

Hi Dan. This looks like a great project! Nice props and CG too. I know you'll do it 'Justice' :cool Looking forward to seeing the final film :thumbsup

Cheers people!
Yes, we are hoping to make it as proffessional as possible, and yup, we are looking at actors rather than asking a bunch of mates to turn up one day ;-).
We think we have found our main actor already, so once the plot synopisis is worked out finally, we can approach his agent to see if we can use him.
Dan

Sorry Dan, I didn´t want to sound like a smart ass. It just bugs me every time I see wasted potential and you guys obviously have more than enough potential to make a really great film. Of course most of my points also apply to big budget Hollywood productions. Van Helsing for example had an insane budget, superb props and mostly decent effects … and still the result was pretty poor. But I´m confident you will top that easily with a fraction of the budget ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

oh dont worry!
Its hard not to become so engrossed in looking good that we dont actually make a good story.
A few of the ideas banded around between us seem to be forming a good synopsis.Wea have had a couple of offers from help from some known names so hopefully itll pan out ok.

Re: Judge Minty- Fan Film Thread, TEASER PIC UPDATE

Just a quick update on this !
Currently putting a basic costume together for a UK comic Con in Bristol, which wont be the final filmed version but something to use for now..........
In the meantime, here is a little screensaver we shot ....
D

MintyDesktop.jpg

I know I want to see this movie when it's finished!
Looks really well made!;)

You surely got some skilled people on board!

Thanks very much Ramiel !
........we are trying to adopt a realistic side to our film, so we are taking the graphical style normally associated with the comic and turning it to 'real world'.
I think this image captures that realy well.
Hopefully after this weekend I can post some more prototype pictures of the suit I have made up for our main character
I think the passion of 'getting it right' will definately be apparent in the film.
D

Re: Judge Minty- Judge Dredd world Fan Film Thread, Updated 8th May '08

I think this is looking great already....can't wait to see it in progress...the lawmaster is spot on...good luck!!

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back